Audeze SINE Series
Dec 11, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #3,841 of 4,783
HH5 pads are a blurry mess.
You need proximity for this headphone to sound alive.

Real AT MS7 pads need the adapters which ups the dam price.
Fake ass 3d printed adapters don't sound as good.

Just go for the fake MSR7 pads on eBay and call it a day...
They DO have the most balanced sound of all the pads I tried.

Dont screw yourself buying expensive pads!
You know which pads I'm talking about! (Ves..)
They are for tiny ears and loose proximity(energy)

If you want real bass impact don't expect the Sine to do that for you.

I moved on from sine but its still a nice headphone which need power to be its best.

I also move on from Hifiman Ed S .

Both had QC issues with headband so take it easy with them.
So if you love your Sine (I did),
Baby it.
I still think its great but got tired of carrying portable player for it.

I currently using Denon mm400 for durability and also the B&W P5 with the over ear pads from Amazon.
Both are high quality superior durability headphones.
Thnanks buddy...how about sennheiser momentum pads ? You have any experience of that pls

Dec 11, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #3,842 of 4,783
Anyone using these with an iPhone but not using cipher? I picked up a headphone amp but I miss that cipher-like SQ. Any apps out there that are good for eqing? Thanks.

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,843 of 4,783
I am using the Sine very successfully with the Chord Mojo and my iPhone. Previously I had connected the iPhone to the Mojo with the Apple CCK but have recently been using the Chord Poly. To my ears the Sine sounds significantly better via the Mojo than the Cipher cable. I only use the Cipher cable now when I don't want to also carry the Mojo.

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #3,844 of 4,783
I have used the Cayin C5 (with HiFime Sabre 9018 DAC) with the iphone and Sine. Significantly better resolution and 3D imaging than cipher. Adding a IFI iPurifier makes it even better :).

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,845 of 4,783
I have used the Cayin C5 (with HiFime Sabre 9018 DAC) with the iphone and Sine. Significantly better resolution and 3D imaging than cipher. Adding a IFI iPurifier makes it even better :).
Thanks. I considered the Cayin and ended up with a Fiio A5 not realizing there is no DAC with that. What, if any, EQ are you both using on your iPhone or are you just running them flat?

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #3,846 of 4,783
Thanks. I considered the Cayin and ended up with a Fiio A5 not realizing there is no DAC with that. What, if any, EQ are you both using on your iPhone or are you just running them flat?

I use it with flat eq, since I mostly listen to Apple Music on iphone and only the itunes eq work with it, which doesn't provide any finer controls. I sometimes use the bass boost on the Cayin for certain songs, which work satisfactorily for me.

The C5 has a DAC+AMP version, but with less power than the amp only C5, and I feel power is a significant factor in getting the best out of these planars.

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,848 of 4,783
Does Onkyo work on iPhone? On a side note, I've really been enjoying these headphones. I switch back and forth between these and my iSine 20s and I honestly love them both for different reasons. the 20s definitely sound better via cipher. The cipher on the sines is a limiting factor. With limited funds, I purchased a Fiio A5 to increase the power and the Sines are significantly better with this setup. The cipher is probably best saved for the road on the Sines whereas on the 20s the cipher is a killer match.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3,849 of 4,783
I like the Hibymusic Player on the iPhone because it can play DSD ISO and almost all other formats and it can play lossless files from a SAMBA network drive. It also has a EQ feature, and it's free.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,850 of 4,783
Bear with me, but I am still trying to figure out if my pair is normal on the volume, or I should return for an exchange.

I used iPad mini to compare the volume btw the cipher cable and the standard cable. The sine sounds at the same level:
  • With the cipher cable, about 50% of iPad max volume setting
  • With the standard cable, about 80% of iPad max volume setting
Does it seem right?

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #3,851 of 4,783
Ath7 pads with 4mm inserts:
AMAZING...
Soundstage finally proportioned properly to ....

sooo far away BETTER than ALL THE OTHER PADS...

So total cost expect to pay around $65.50 total for the adapter and the Audio Technica pads...

So far the BEST setup is the Audio Technica with insert by a landslide...
I do mean a landslide.

So Untill Audeze finally wakes up to it it's blunder with it's garbage suction pads,
This adapter needs to be on every Sine.
You have no clue what your missing.

I dunno, maybe I do :) I just got my second Sine, and the Brainwavs angled pads improve the sound more dramatically than I remember! But I'd like to see what other people are doing too

Can anyone provide more specific information about these inserts?

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #3,852 of 4,783
I happened to get a Cypher cable and I wanted to try it out, so I looked at Audeze's own list of i-things it works on and picked the cheapest I could find quickly on craigslist. I ended up getting an iPhone 4s, because it's supposed to work:

Screenshot_2017-12-19-19-09-33.jpg

See? Audeze's own webpage says this.

But lo and behold, I take it home and find out the 4s doesn't have a lightning port! So how exactly is it supposed to work with the cypher cable then??? Yes, I know that in theory there is an adapter for this. But in practice, look closely and you may notice that they all say CHARGING ONLY NO DATA!

So what am I supposed to do now? Even getting cheapest iphone still put me out $20. Now I have to buy a different and EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE phone, or write it off the whole thing as a sunk cost

I'm going to email Audeze and find out what those trumps have to say about this mess

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3,853 of 4,783
I happened to get a Cypher cable and I wanted to try it out, so I looked at Audeze's own list of i-things it works on and picked the cheapest I could find quickly on craigslist. I ended up getting an iPhone 4s, because it's supposed to work:

See? Audeze's own webpage says this.

But lo and behold, I take it home and find out the 4s doesn't have a lightning port! So how exactly is it supposed to work with the cypher cable then??? Yes, I know that in theory there is an adapter for this. But in practice, look closely and you may notice that they all say CHARGING ONLY NO DATA!

So what am I supposed to do now? Even getting cheapest iphone still put me out $20. Now I have to buy a different and EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE phone, or write it off the whole thing as a sunk cost

I'm going to email Audeze and find out what those trumps have to say about this mess

Thats unfortunate. :frowning2: You can pick up an iPhone 5SE for sometimes ~$99 for a prepaid version - just dont activate the service. :wink:

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #3,854 of 4,783
I bought the Sine with Cipher cable to use with my iPhone X and it has been totally sublime. The musicality is outstanding, instrument separation is like WOW, and vocals are sweet. I am also lucky that my ears fit perfectly inside the earpads instead of being squished. I am so impressed with the planar magnetic experience that I'll be selling off several of my headphones to get the Aeon Flow Open and the LCD2-C. I haven't tried the standard cable with my iFi micro iDSD BL yet because the cipher cable and Audeze EQ app are so good. My new Audeze Sine is a an excellent headphone and my Apple iPhone X is pretty excellent too.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,855 of 4,783
I bought the Sine with Cipher cable to use with my iPhone X and it has been totally sublime. The musicality is outstanding, instrument separation is like WOW, and vocals are sweet. I am also lucky that my ears fit perfectly inside the earpads instead of being squished. I am so impressed with the planar magnetic experience that I'll be selling off several of my headphones to get the Aeon Flow Open and the LCD2-C. I haven't tried the standard cable with my iFi micro iDSD BL yet because the cipher cable and Audeze EQ app are so good. My new Audeze Sine is a an excellent headphone and my Apple iPhone X is pretty excellent too.

Awesome! iPhone X is an excellent smartphone and I’m excited to see whether I prefer the Sine or EL-8 Ti. I didn’t get a chance to open my Sine on my birthday yesterday so I’ll enjoy it tonight :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back