Audeze SINE Series
Mar 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #3,361 of 4,788

I don't have any difinative evidence for the Sines, but my PM-3s needed break in, and they are planar.

I had a second set as the first ones died, and they sounded very different to the demo pair in the showroom which were well demonstrated.

They are mechanical, so break in is a possibility.

I don't think it's break-in.

It's Audeze Lottery at work.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #3,366 of 4,788
I've been looking for Sine's for a while. Also checked out the Oppo-3, which look similar imho.

For what it's worth, everyone I know that's well-educated in Audio that has listened to both says the PM-3 belongs in the garbage.

YMMV.

I think with proper pads this headphone is a rival to my beloved 650.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #3,367 of 4,788
Firmware does nothing to the headphone unit but does a lot to the DSP stuff in the cipher cable. Just plug into some idevice and the ONLY function of the Audeze app, besides the EQing, is firmware upgrade on the cipher.

BTW the latest firmware should be 0.3.9 for the Sine

Ah, there's firmware for the CABLE, not the headphone. That actually makes sense. You worded your earlier post pretty awkwardly/incorrectly, and as I don't have that cable of course I wouldn't think of it. I had a laugh imagining attempting to update firmware in a passive headphone. Thanks for setting that straight.

I think with proper pads this headphone is a rival to my beloved 650.

Is your 650 modified or anything? Because I would place the Sine in a class above, without hesitation.

But I've heard the 650 scales well, and to me the Sine doesn't improve nearly as much as most headphones do when plugging it in to a Mojo vs. my cellphone, now that I think about it. You get a significant amount of its best possible performance with lowborn sources..I wonder if Audeze specifically tuned them to be like that, maybe at the expense of ultimate high end tuning like the LCD series, and whether headphone design actually even works that way.

Anyway, would a 650 at its zenith really reach Sine-level performance? I recently breathed some new life into my DT880s (my closest 650 equivalent) with the earpads from a Hifiman HE400, which closed the gap significantly, but to me the Sine is still an unmistakable improvement.

I don't have any difinative evidence for the Sines, but my PM-3s needed break in, and they are planar.

I had a second set as the first ones died, and they sounded very different to the demo pair in the showroom which were well demonstrated.

They are mechanical, so break in is a possibility.

True, it is a possibility, which is why I was wondering aloud about what exactly could happen to them...maybe there's a tiny bit of play where the membrane is attached, and it shifts itself a little? Nothing I can imagine could change nearly enough to be audible. It's more like "works" or "doesn't work." Please correct me if I'm missing anything.

Any idea what happened in the Oppos? Did they change enough for it to be clearly outside of the confirmation bias danger zone?

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,370 of 4,788
Okay, I can in fact say with 100% certainty that SOME QC25 pads do not fit. Not even with patience and a crowbar. First of all, the circumference of the "ring" on the after market pads that I used is at least 1" less than the retaining ring on the headphones. Second the ring on the new pads is rigid and not stretchable like the stock pads. 

My guess is that Maxx used a set of knock pads different that then ones I used. So morale to the story don't expect just any set of pads to fit. These are the ones that I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015IPIRA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Money wasted, epic fail. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,371 of 4,788
  Okay, I can in fact say with 100% certainty that SOME QC25 pads do not fit. Not even with patience and a crowbar. First of all, the circumference of the "ring" on the after market pads that I used is at least 1" less than the retaining ring on the headphones. Second the ring on the new pads is rigid and not stretchable like the stock pads. 

My guess is that Maxx used a set of knock pads different that then ones I used. So morale to the story don't expect just any set of pads to fit. These are the ones that I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015IPIRA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Money wasted, epic fail. 

:frowning2:

On-ears it is!

Maybe the Vmoda pads will work.

I don't really feel like buying a bunch of pads only to find out they don't work.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #3,372 of 4,788

Money wasted, epic fail. 

Sorry to hear that. But you saved me from buying the same thing.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,373 of 4,788

Money wasted, epic fail. 

It was hard to put on.
Also after extended use,
I feel it High in clarity,
But a bit lean in bass.
Safest choice is fake AT pads with adapters for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back