Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 13, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #7,127 of 7,191
audeze support confirms that it is expected behavior that cannot be fixed: "Penrose mic volume go back to 50% after a restart."

@Audeze still no firmware update on the roadmap?
Firmware teams are very, very busy on other projects. Penrose is at end of life, and I would not expect any more development on its firmware outside of critical bug fixes.

Mic volume reverting to 50% is intentional IIRC.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #7,128 of 7,191
Firmware teams are overseas and are very, very busy on other projects. Penrose is at end of life, and I would not expect any more development on its firmware outside of critical bug fixes.

Mic volume reverting to 50% is intentional IIRC.
I'd be happy if the "2.4 and Bluetooth" input alert sound was cleaned up a bit from its current disjointed state.

Surely that's not too much to ask.

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #7,131 of 7,191
How much resources you think went to it if we don't have it 13 months later? It was going to be with other updates. They clearly just said forget the Penrose and decided to put all their efforts towards the Maxwell. We were supposed to get a bunch of updates that never really came. I eventually just accepted it. Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, especially for something that doesn't affect function whatsoever.

Jan 16, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #7,132 of 7,191
How much resources you think went to it if we don't have it 13 months later? It was going to be with other updates. They clearly just said forget the Penrose and decided to put all their efforts towards the Maxwell. We were supposed to get a bunch of updates that never really came. I eventually just accepted it. Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, especially for something that doesn't affect function whatsoever.
Completely agree with the above and why it's been so disappointing. Feels like we got promised updates and improvements, instead we all just got left behind

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #7,134 of 7,191
I wouldn't say that; i would say that a company that has roots deep into hardware design probably will miss the point when they try to enter the software-bound space. A hardware product is much simpler in terms of user interaction, whereas an electronic device with many features will require a different mindset where the user should be at the center of the entire approach. I think audeze should have partnered with a good device manufacturer that has a good design culture instead of rolling their own.

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #7,135 of 7,191
It's finally happened. My Penrose have cracked at that fragile joint between the headband and the earcup. I bought it over 2 years ago, and as I saw reports of this, I thought I had lucked out or avoided it by being very delicate with it.

I have asked the local retailer about it, they offered a replacement set for $200. Which is taking the piss given this is clearly a broken product (also counting the goddamn wooshing noise). I reckon Audeze knows it too, the retailer said they have discontinued Penrose and the new Maxwell has a different design.

I would have immediately preordered Maxwell just because of the better battery. But the whole experience with the Penrose leaves such a bad feeling, that we were sold a half-baked product, and it'll likely be the case again with the Maxwell.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #7,136 of 7,191
I wouldn't say that; i would say that a company that has roots deep into hardware design probably will miss the point when they try to enter the software-bound space. A hardware product is much simpler in terms of user interaction, whereas an electronic device with many features will require a different mindset where the user should be at the center of the entire approach. I think audeze should have partnered with a good device manufacturer that has a good design culture instead of rolling their own.
None of that exists excuses lacklustre support unfortunately. What it causes is customer distrust.

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #7,137 of 7,191
If Penrose or some other company can make a wireless pair of Open-back 2.4ghz headphones that sound every bit as good as the Beyer Dynamic DT1990 Pro's, I would be thrilled. I'd totally drop at least a grand CAD for a pair. When i got my Penrose, they sounded pretty solid, but still behind my pair of DT770(250)'s. I'm just not willing to sacrifice sound quality to go wireless. But i AM willing to spend triple the amount for a wireless pair with DT1990 quality. It will eventually happen one day.

OLED TV's are already going wireless, starting with the OLED M series. I'm opting for the Samsung S95C QD-OLED with a one connect box that goes in your TV stand, while the TV itself is less than 1/2" thick, which will be awesome for wall mounting. Things are becoming even more easy and convenient.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back