Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 25, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #7,141 of 7,191
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #7,143 of 7,191
Hi, my audeze mobius died. Everything seems to be working except there's no sound. I can hear a faint click when turning on, light blinks.
PC sees headset, can use mic volume wheel click to change between 8ch/2ch/HiRes 2ch

Audeze utility sees the headphones, but not the headtracking

This reddit user seems to be having a similar issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Audeze/comments/vavoha/no_sound_from_my_mobius_not_sure_why/

Is the new audeze windows utility bricking mobiuses?!

edit: problem fixed with hard reflash

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #7,144 of 7,191
Completely agree with the above and why it's been so disappointing. Feels like we got promised updates and improvements, instead we all just got left behind
Agreed. It’s kind of crazy how many updates were discussed only for the last/final firmware to come out only 12 months after launch, and then the product to be completely abandoned 12 months after that. I’d somewhat understand if there was some sort of discounted upgrade path to the Maxwell, but to expect another $300 after two years and this experience is disappointing.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #7,145 of 7,191
If Penrose or some other company can make a wireless pair of Open-back 2.4ghz headphones that sound every bit as good as the Beyer Dynamic DT1990 Pro's, I would be thrilled. I'd totally drop at least a grand CAD for a pair. When i got my Penrose, they sounded pretty solid, but still behind my pair of DT770(250)'s. I'm just not willing to sacrifice sound quality to go wireless. But i AM willing to spend triple the amount for a wireless pair with DT1990 quality. It will eventually happen one day.

OLED TV's are already going wireless, starting with the OLED M series. I'm opting for the Samsung S95C QD-OLED with a one connect box that goes in your TV stand, while the TV itself is less than 1/2" thick, which will be awesome for wall mounting. Things are becoming even more easy and convenient.
Best thing I can recommend is the Qudelix 5k and the creative bt-w4 dongle for adaptive aptx. You will have a portable 1990 solution.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #7,146 of 7,191
No it just doesn’t work in any practical or useful sense anyway really,
I had another go earlier this evening and clicking the wheel and scrolling just doesn’t reliably or predictably adjust the chat mix (also there is no audio cue if any sort when clicking the wheel).
I have had the wheel taped over for about a year now and just use the phone app to adjust the Chat/Game mix etc on a cheap Android phone I bought specially for using the Audeze HA app only !
This is the most annoying "feature" on a headset advertised for gaming on an Xbox.

You have to press the wheel in to switch to the mic game/party chat balance. You scroll the wheel. It immediately goes back to the mic gain function as soon as you take a pause scrolling. So if you press, scroll 2 clicks and stop for too long it starts adjusting the mic gain again. As far as I can tell you can't adjust it in one direction and then switch to the other direction without pressing down on the wheel again. It's pretty much impossible to reliably adjust the balance on the fly if you're actively playing something like warzone and like to silence your squad in the heat of the moment or during a gulag etc. I almost returned my Penrose because of this but had hope it was going to get fixed in a firmware update.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #7,147 of 7,191
Firmware teams are overseas and are very, very busy on other projects. Penrose is at end of life, and I would not expect any more development on its firmware outside of critical bug fixes.

Mic volume reverting to 50% is intentional IIRC.
Hello
sorry but I struggle to believe anyone in their right mind would give you a volume control and then reset it. It also seems to be pretty random or maybe depends on whether the headset powers itself off or manually.
Essentially means every morning and several times a day I need to plug my headset into my PC to check the volume.
This issue is exacerbated because there's no means to find the mic volume setting without plugging into the USB, which means the headsets needs plugging in each time when changing the volume and negating some of the point of being a wireless device.
I can accept at best it's an oversight, if not a straight up bug. If it was an intentional decision to do that then that's crackers.

Cheers
Chris

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #7,148 of 7,191
Hello
sorry but I struggle to believe anyone in their right mind would give you a volume control and then reset it. It also seems to be pretty random or maybe depends on whether the headset powers itself off or manually.
Essentially means every morning and several times a day I need to plug my headset into my PC to check the volume.
This issue is exacerbated because there's no means to find the mic volume setting without plugging into the USB, which means the headsets needs plugging in each time when changing the volume and negating some of the point of being a wireless device.
I can accept at best it's an oversight, if not a straight up bug. If it was an intentional decision to do that then that's crackers.

Cheers
Chris
Welp. It's stuck that way either way.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #7,150 of 7,191
Hello

Cheers
Chris
Apparently it's the same for the maxwell, one of the early users reported that the volume gets reset too.

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #7,152 of 7,191
Can you clarify what the issue is?

We have Standard volume, and we have game/chat balance on the Maxwell. BOTH will default to a 50% upon turning it on. This can prevent things like someone having their volume maxed out, forgetting about it, then they turn it on the next day and blow their ear drums out.

Then with Game/Chat balance on Xbox and PC (Xbox only for Penrose X), this also controls how much volume you're getting. IF you set it to 100% chat side, then turn it on the next day, and you all the sudden can't hear anything (because you've set it to 100% chat, 0% game volume), people will panic thinking their audio is not working (I have been there myself). So yes, that defaults to 50% as well.

That is a practical decision we made to ensure people don't blow out their ear drums on accident by forgetting where they set their volume at, and game/balance is set to half to ensure you get both game/chat audio on power on state. Not everyone will like this, and some people prefer having a set and forget it, but ultimately we decided what was best for the average consumer. Defaulting to 50% on power on state ensures consistency between all.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Also Audeze HQ has an auto-shutdown option. This can be set anywhere from 5 minutes, to a few hours, to never. If it auto shuts down, then you know these volume balances will reset on powering on.

Been awhile since I've tested the Penrose, but I believe it is the same (defaulting to specific value on powering on state).

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #7,153 of 7,191
So, 14 months in. What are the chances of getting these replaced? Only ever been on my desk used for gaming.

IMG_7310.jpg

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #7,155 of 7,191
probably best to ask Audeze..

Are you in a country with decent consumer rights? If not I suspect you’ll just be given the opportunity to purchase a refurb set for ~$100 by Audeze.
I'm in the UK. Hopefully, that isn't the solution. This is already the second pair I've had because of issues with the first pair I had. I googled the issue and there are a lot of people with this problem it seems. I find the idea of wearing a used headset gross, I'd rather just cut my losses and move to a brand that doesn't have this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back