Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #6,031 of 7,191
@Audeze , @KMann , @hedfreq :Any update / commitment on the addressing / swapping the game/chat mix function, as many have requested?
Previous post for reference: Game / Chat Mix Request.

Just would like an official response on weather or not, if this is something that will be updated / changed? At one point and time, it seemed like this was going to be addressed / changed..., but then it was not included in the last firmware update. And if so, any target timeline? Any information / direction on this is appreciated.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #6,032 of 7,191
@Audeze , @KMann , @hedfreq :Any update / commitment on the addressing / swapping the game/chat mix function, as many have requested?

Just would like an official response on weather or not, if this is something that will be updated / changed? At one point and time, it seemed like this was going to be addressed / changed..., but then it was not included in the last firmware update. And if so, any target timeline? Any information / direction on this is appreciated.
yes, this really needs sorting

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #6,033 of 7,191
I'm going to be returning mine. I prefer the overall sound of my DT770(250ohm) paired with my receiver, plus they're a lot more comfortable. Question is, how long will it take for a wireless pair of 2.4ghz headphones to match the quality of something like the DT770's? Penrose are on the right track, but just aren't quite there yet imo

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #6,034 of 7,191
I'm going to be returning mine. I prefer the overall sound of my DT770(250ohm) paired with my receiver, plus they're a lot more comfortable. Question is, how long will it take for a wireless pair of 2.4ghz headphones to match the quality of something like the DT770's? Penrose are on the right track, but just aren't quite there yet imo
I think you are looking in the wrong direction then. DT770 is headphone and Penrose is a Headset, even putting that aside it is a "Gaming" Headphone at best. Versus a DT770 which is more of a studio headphone. So by default the tuning on the Penrose is way different, You won't hear the same things on it, you hear on the DT770. If you like the sound signature of your DT770 then you can pretty much forget about anything that doesn't start with Studio. I think audio is pretty difficult to do without wires, latency for one and the power to actually drive headphones, all in something that is comfortable and lasts long enough? Yeah, going to be a while.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #6,036 of 7,191

Would also really like to know this please

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #6,038 of 7,191

I think this is a top priority item for sure. I love my Penrose, even added some nuggets and Dekoni pads to make them more comfortable for my giant dome but if this doesn't get swapped they'll find themselves on eBay regardless of how much money I'll lose on them.
The inability to change chat/game mix without messing up your mic level ruins the user experience on this headset for me despite how good they sound. I have to pull out my phone and refer to the app almost every time which defeats having the adjustment on the headset itself and is cumbersome when mid-game.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #6,039 of 7,191
Agreed, I'm often trying to adjust my chat mix and just end up messing up my microphone level which I almost never want to adjust. To make it worse I'm on iOS and there's no app yet so I have no indication that people can't hear me.
If I’m not mistaken, there will never be an app for iOS. It was something to do with the chips in the headset.

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #6,041 of 7,191
Top priority as far as I am concerned is dealing with the whoosh / air rushing sound in the left ear cup which is still present for many of us.

At release... it was both sides, so it is clearly well within their grasp to fix!
Yes, this whoosh/wind noise appears almost everytime I turn them on. While it is not noticeable when playing music or in loud games, but it is noticeable in quiet scenes.

I’m very happy with this headset in all other aspects but I’d like to hear that they have replicated this and understand the issue.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #6,042 of 7,191
Yes, this whoosh/wind noise appears almost everytime I turn them on. While it is not noticeable when playing music or in loud games, but it is noticeable in quiet scenes.

I’m very happy with this headset in all other aspects but I’d like to hear that they have replicated this and understand the issue.
I understand they have not replicated it as a couple of us have been asked to provide a recording. I tried... but my mic is not sensitive enough to pick up anything.

In a sealed environment around the ear it is quite noticeable, though.

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #6,043 of 7,191
Ok, so I've had the Penrose since release and I won't to report my experience.

First, the good:

-The sound. While I think I would have prefered the Mobius default tuning, I can't see anyone not be amazed by the sound (assuming you are comparing to other wireless headphones).
The bass response reminds me of a good Hi Fi system, not that it has much quantity, but it's very fast and impactful.
I prefer these over the HD600, they have less detail, but are much more enjoyable.
Their imaging is the best I've ever had.

-The microphone. After all the updates, I find the mic pretty clear. I've had no issues with it.

-The EQ gets saved to the headset. This is really useful!

-USB-C.

The bad:
-There's no way around it: this feels like it's in beta stage. Does not feel like a solid, finished product.

-There's a background hiss present, always.

-There's a squiggly sound on the left cup, like many users have reported but I haven't seen acknowledged. Doesn't sound like something mechanically wrong with, it appears to be a software bug.

-It isolates really poorly.

^These 3 last issues pretty much garantee you won't ever hear a complete silent/dark background to your music. It bothers me quite a lot.

-The battery does not last the time advertised. It's extremely annoying to have to keep reminding myself to charge it.

-You have to connect a cable to make any software changes. On a wireless headphone. This is just ridiculous. It's completely moronic.

-They are not exactly the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, but I won't say they squeeze my head.

-Very short signal range (when I initially got them, it appeared good, but I must have been lucky).

-Not sure if other people consider this a negative, so feel free to ignore this point. But the dongle it waaaay too long for me, I would have preferred something more compact that I could connect to my Nintendo Switch portably.

In the end, would I still buy it? Well, personally, I would try buying the SteelSeries Arctis 7P from somewhere where I could return if I didn't like the sound. If I found the sound waaaaay too bad, I'd still get the Penrose.
BUT if the sound was only slightly worse? I'd 100% get the Arctis 7p (or something else), because this does not feel like a well thought out product, it just feels very very immature/unfinished.

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #6,044 of 7,191
Ok, so I've had the Penrose since release and I won't to report my experience.

First, the good:
-The sound. While I think I would have prefered the Mobius default tuning, I can't see anyone not be amazed by the sound (assuming you are comparing to other wireless headphones).
The bass response reminds me of a good Hi Fi system, not that it has much quantity, but it's very fast and impactful.
I prefer these over the HD600, they have less detail, but are much more enjoyable.
Their imaging is the best I've ever had.

-The microphone. After all the updates, I find the mic pretty clear. I've had no issues with it.

-The EQ gets saved to the headset. This is really useful!

-USB-C.

The bad:
-There's no way around it: this feels like it's in beta stage. Does not feel like a solid, finished product.

-There's a background hiss present, always.

-There's a squiggly sound on the left cup, like many users have reported but I haven't seen acknowledged. Doesn't sound like something mechanically wrong with, it appears to be a software bug.

-It isolates really poorly.

^These 3 last issues pretty much garantee you won't ever hear a complete silent/dark background to your music. It bothers me quite a lot.

-The battery does not last the time advertised. It's extremely annoying to have to keep reminding myself to charge it.

-You have to connect a cable to make any software changes. On a wireless headphone. This is just ridiculous. It's completely moronic.

-They are not exactly the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, but I won't say they squeeze my head.

-Very short signal range (when I initially got them, it appeared good, but I must have been lucky).

-Not sure if other people consider this a negative, so feel free to ignore this point. But the dongle it waaaay too long for me, I would have preferred something more compact that I could connect to my Nintendo Switch portably.

In the end, would I still buy it? Well, personally, I would try buying the SteelSeries Arctis 7P from somewhere where I could return if I didn't like the sound. If I found the sound waaaaay too bad, I'd still get the Penrose.
BUT if the sound was only slightly worse? I'd 100% get the Arctis 7p (or something else), because this does not feel like a well thought out product, it just feels very very immature/unfinished.
I am surprised you didn’t mention the very clunky and virtually impossible to operate switching between regular wheel function and Game Chat Balance function without screwing up your mic gate volume !
Also no Volume control in the Windows Software.
Also no iPhone app.

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #6,045 of 7,191
I am surprised you didn’t mention the very clunky and virtually impossible to operate switching between regular wheel function and Game Chat Balance function without screwing up your mic gate volume !
Also no Volume control in the Windows Software.
Also no iPhone app.
Oh, the reason for that is because I simply don't use those features.
My chat use has been on skype talks where I'm not playing.
I'm ok with the volume wheel and I use Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back