Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #6,003 of 7,191
Got my Penrose in the mail today. They look good aesthetically speaking, Comfort wise, they're fine, nowhere near as comfy as my DT770's, plus I can imagine the Penrose's ear cups getting a bit sweaty for longer gaming sessions but whatever, it's good enough. I haven't experienced one single drop out when connected to my PS4 Pro & Switch, or any wooshing, nor am I hearing any floor noise. Although, hooked up to my LG OLED C9 there were a few hiccups when listening to music on YouTube but that easily could of been due to my internet connection for all i know.

BUT the most important thing here is sound and i haven't directly compared them yet to my Beyer DT770's + Receiver yet. On their own they sound...pretty good. I dont know, they seem like they're lacking a little in the bass department and dont sound quite as immersive nor do they boast the same level of soundstage as my Beyers based on memory. Again, need to do a proper direct comparison and test out movies and music as well.

Is there any way to tinker with Treble & Bass?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #6,004 of 7,191
So, i can only use the bluetooth connection whith the Penrose hooked up to my LG C9 OLED, which is a bad idea due to extra load of latency and crappier sound quality which causes major lip syncing issues. I can't adjust lip syncing either in my OLED sound settings, they're greyed out. I then tried them with 2.4ghz on PS4 Pro while streaming and the syncing seems normal again, or close enough. Wired may have an ever so slight advantage. 7ms vs the 16ms of 2.4ghz.

I dont want to stream on my PS4 Pro or when i get a PS5 simply because the consoles fan is too loud.
All i need to do now is mess with EQ, compare them to my DT770's/with receiver and maybe find another way to stream via 2.4ghz if i decide to keep them. I find the bass lacking, which is a huge bummer.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #6,007 of 7,191
For those people having connection issues.... do you have other 2.4 Ghz devices and/or 2G WiFi, or do you use 5Ghz wifi like me for everything except various less demanding apps like Google assistant and some smart lighting? Also if you do use 2.4 Ghz do you use out of the box channels, or bump into the DFS channels for a clearer path?

I'm asking because the only time I've experienced drop outs is when my wife was streaming shows on her laptop and for some reason she'd connected to the lesser Wifi channels. Thinking if maybe the Penrose + Dongle aren't that smart in picking less congested channels.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,008 of 7,191
Try using the downloadable eq settings. I use the warm preset, and I wouldn’t call the bass lacking at all.
Going to mess with the EQ settings today, i'll definitely try out the warm preset and then compare them to my DT770's and see who comes out vitcorious muhaha. Rooting for the Penrose obviously but i don't think they'll come out on top. It would be nice if the Penrose's Ear cups were replaceable too with other pads that use the same material as the DT770's which feel so much more comfortable in comparison....after 30 minutes or so of use, i almost feel like i want to rip them off my head. There may be a bit of clamping force but ultimately it's the material of the ear pads and how they're shaped that drives me batty, and they get a little sticky and warm. The DT770's win hands down in comfort no question. They fit like a glove and feel like a pillow.

And I Guess my only option when Streaming YouTube, Netflix etc with the Penrose's 2.4ghz is to use the PS4 Pro or PS5 unless there's another streaming device that supports 2.4ghz? I dont like the idea of using my video game console for streaming, i just want to use it strictly for games.

Edit: Also, is it just me or do the Penrose sound ever so slightly worse when using them wired? I've been toggling back between wireless and wired, but it's hard to a get a quick comparison due to the paring. The DT770's when compared to the Penrose(Wireless & Wired)sound more natural, clearer, the soundstage sounds wider and more full, everything just feels more refined and packs more bass. I did some comparisons with Movies, music, you name it and the DT770's won every single time.
Ahem, time to mess with the EQ presets!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #6,009 of 7,191
Ah, throwing in the towel. The Penrose's audio just can't compete against my DT770's, there's a clear difference and i prefer the latter easily.
The DT770's offer a more immersive experience, the bass alone is deeper, hard hitting, everything just sounds more natural, dynamic, the clarity is richer and overall more exciting. I mean, It's hard for me to express how i feel because i'm the furthest thing away from an audiophile, but the DT770's win for me and they're easily better for movies and music too. I'll be sticking with these paired with a Receiver until a wireless set of closed back head phones can either match or outdo them.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #6,010 of 7,191
Anyone feels like the headphones can break when they put them on or off?
The movement of stretching it ,like the sound of fragile plastic or something?

By the way still 0 problems with ps4 and ps5
100% recommended
Well the mobius has the same failure point as the arctis pros. They also break at the top of the wishbone above the earcups. Hopefully they made the Penrose stronger. Didnt sell as many units so dont see as many posts about it.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #6,011 of 7,191
Well the mobius has the same failure point as the arctis pros. They also break at the top of the wishbone above the earcups. Hopefully they made the Penrose stronger. Didnt sell as many units so dont see as many posts about it.
yes this is the major problem part, you can notice for bigger heads you cant rotate the earcup to adjust when its streach out it gripping the housing for the joint, so if you manage to force it it will surely weaken it, so adjust first then fit it to your head if needs readjusting take it off again
my other headset like logitech g933, arctics 7 and void pro you can adjust them freely

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #6,012 of 7,191
If you'll get a chance of observing the new Carbon version of Mobius, that wishbone has now got internal plastic channels reinforcement which wasn't there in earlier Team Blue and Copper versions. All the Penroses from Day 1 had those reinforments, that's why fewer posts of wishbones getting broken.

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #6,013 of 7,191
For those people having connection issues.... do you have other 2.4 Ghz devices and/or 2G WiFi, or do you use 5Ghz wifi like me for everything except various less demanding apps like Google assistant and some smart lighting? Also if you do use 2.4 Ghz do you use out of the box channels, or bump into the DFS channels for a clearer path?

I'm asking because the only time I've experienced drop outs is when my wife was streaming shows on her laptop and for some reason she'd connected to the lesser Wifi channels. Thinking if maybe the Penrose + Dongle aren't that smart in picking less congested channels.
I have 2 routers broadcasting 5Ghz (channels 36 and 149) as well as 2.4GHz (channels 1 and 11). Penrose wireless dongle has had zero issues till now. But reading a lot of comments here, it's possible to come up any time. I'll save the troubleshooting for such a possibility while the ghost keeps living in the back of my mind...

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #6,014 of 7,191
Ah, throwing in the towel. The Penrose's audio just can't compete against my DT770's, there's a clear difference and i prefer the latter easily.
The DT770's offer a more immersive experience, the bass alone is deeper, hard hitting, everything just sounds more natural, dynamic, the clarity is richer and overall more exciting. I mean, It's hard for me to express how i feel because i'm the furthest thing away from an audiophile, but the DT770's win for me and they're easily better for movies and music too. I'll be sticking with these paired with a Receiver until a wireless set of closed back head phones can either match or outdo them.
If you want a detachable cable, the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 is pretty much a 770 turned into a gaming headset.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #6,015 of 7,191
If you want a detachable cable, the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 is pretty much a 770 turned into a gaming headset.

I might check those out, as long as the Mic is detachable too.

And i've got to say, of the 5 Penrose music presets, I would say 'Classical & Acoustic Space' sounds the best for pretty much everything be it gaming, music and movies and easily beats out the default preset to my ears which sounded a bit harsh and almost flat. Still doing a bunch of side by side comparisons with my DT770's. I'm really liking the Penrose, they sound great as a stand alone gaming headset, but the DT770's have an edge and can get louder etc. If the Penrose didn't have any presets available or the ability to tweak and create your own, and i was instead judging them based on the default preset I wouldn't want them. I'm still torn based on weather i want to keep them or not. I haven't experienced one single drop out crackling yet with gaming, so that at least put my worries to rest. But there has been a few syncing issues here and there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back