Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #6,061 of 7,191
I just sent my penrose back to Audeze. I was getting popping sounds so audeze sent me new usb dongle. That did not fix the issue so audeze wanted me to send them in to see if they are defective.

I noticed when I had the penrose connected to wifi and blutooth they would pop more frequently. On wifi only the popping/crackling sound would be a lot less. I don't understand how the range on these are so poor. Also I like the sound but the default sound without any EQ is way too harsh. The treble to my ears is earpiercing. I play a ton of shooters so guns going off is a painful sound with the penrose in FPS games with out changing the EQ. To my ears at least.
I found the highs a bit ear piercing as well when I had them. I was using the Dolby app on Xbox, I set it to the 'warm' EQ. That resolved the highs for me.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #6,062 of 7,191
So it's not only me with this issue. I've settled with -10dB of EQ on the treble, when comparing them by ear to reference cans. That's a crazy amount of treble to EQ out and make them sound normal. Don't you think?

1624503153056.png
I use the warzone preset from audeze when I play FPS and it greatly tones down the piercing highs. I will try your preset when I get the headset back from audeze. I really want to find a good preset for Battlefield 2042. I am huge BF fan and that series has always had great audio. I hope the game takes advantage of the 3D audio tempest engine on PS5 also.

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #6,064 of 7,191
So it's not only me with this issue. I've settled with -10dB of EQ on the treble, when comparing them by ear to reference cans. That's a crazy amount of treble to EQ out and make them sound normal. Don't you think?

1624503153056.png
Firstly, 100% in agreement. This headset is bright!

I've heard differing things about the 4K frequency -- some reviewers mention a big dip at 4K, while others note a peak at 4K. I'm not quite sure what to think. Does anyone have any reliable measurements of a Penrose that shows what's happening at 4K?

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #6,065 of 7,191
Firstly, 100% in agreement. This headset is bright!

I've heard differing things about the 4K frequency -- some reviewers mention a big dip at 4K, while others note a peak at 4K. I'm not quite sure what to think. Does anyone have any reliable measurements of a Penrose that shows what's happening

1624503153056.png
Rtings.com has measurments of the penrose.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #6,069 of 7,191
Any newfound advice on disconnections? I can barely stand using this headset lately, it has suddenly started reconnecting every couple minutes.

Bought in November 2020 and it's just shot.
Contact audeze they sent me a new USB dongle but I still ended up sending in the headset for service. Audeze really needs to address the conection issue of this headset .

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #6,070 of 7,191
I just sent my penrose back to Audeze. I was getting popping sounds so audeze sent me new usb dongle. That did not fix the issue so audeze wanted me to send them in to see if they are defective.

I noticed when I had the penrose connected to wifi and blutooth they would pop more frequently. On wifi only the popping/crackling sound would be a lot less. I don't understand how the range on these are so poor. Also I like the sound but the default sound without any EQ is way too harsh. The treble to my ears is earpiercing. I play a ton of shooters so guns going off is a painful sound with the penrose in FPS games with out changing the EQ. To my ears at least.

I liked the 'Classical and Accoustic Space' preset the best(The default EQ was harsh in comparison), but ultimately the Penrose just couldn't match up to my DT770's(250ohm). Sticking with wired, until something better comes out in the future in the world of wireless 2.4ghz :p

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #6,072 of 7,191
Sent mine back too because of pops and crackles and disconnects still appearing after a new stick.

Let's see if the replacement fixes these issues.

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #6,075 of 7,191
Got zero 2,4ghz devices nearby or active. I mean crackles and disconnects could also happen sitting next to the stick, just less frequent.

In the meanwhile I got myself a 3m XLR headphone extension and use the optical out of the G6 to my DAC/AMP and to the HEK. Quality wise quite superior of course but I still want to have an easy wireless solution with mic and not run cables around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back