Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 14, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #6,091 of 7,191
Hi, could you tell me how you put these ear pads on?
Is there a video out there maybe?
Yes, here is the link :

My experience is, try to make the cut out hole bigger, and apply firm pressure till the pad seats within the plastic frame. But it definitely works, and the resulting sound is amazing.:)

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #6,092 of 7,191
Hi, could you tell me how you put these ear pads on?
Is there a video out there maybe?
Just a friendly reminder, changing from stock pads to any other pads at all will change what you're hearing. The tuning is always changed.

Maybe try removing the stock pads and just putting the new pads pressed on to have a listen. If you're happy then go wild destroying your old pads for the fixing plate.

Be especially careful about changing to a different material type, for instance leather to velour. That will change the tuning even more. What one person enjoys another may hate. It's not to say either is wrong, we just have different preferences. If you switch from leather/pleather to velour you're going to lose bass quantity and they may appear brighter.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #6,093 of 7,191
Thanks @Docharsha89 for that. I was hoping the Brainwavz would fit.

Thanks @Twizzleshnizzle for the heads up.
Wasn't really aware of this. Had some sort of inkling it would affect but not how.
Is there a resource with info about this?
I'll try looking after I get home from work.

I want to be able to change for a number of reasons.
The first is that if Audeze stop making them or put the price up, I have an alternative. Been caught before.

The second would be to hide the colour band. I am a gamer but I'm an old gamer, prefer no RGB or bright colours tbh.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #6,094 of 7,191
Thanks @Docharsha89 for that. I was hoping the Brainwavz would fit.

Thanks @Twizzleshnizzle for the heads up.
Wasn't really aware of this. Had some sort of inkling it would affect but not how.
Is there a resource with info about this?
I'll try looking after I get home from work.

I want to be able to change for a number of reasons.
The first is that if Audeze stop making them or put the price up, I have an alternative. Been caught before.

The second would be to hide the colour band. I am a gamer but I'm an old gamer, prefer no RGB or bright colours tbh.

You're welcome. I'm aware Audeze make replacements in a few different colours including grey. Like you I'm a slightly older gamer (41) so I prefer to tone it down as well. So there is that option in regards to colour, you can also stock up if you can find them for a reasonable price.

Here's the link of a stockist supplying replacement pads for £20. Otherwise they seem to be around £30 generally. You'll notice these are for the Mobius, they're the same pads and will fit.
https://www.analogueseduction.net/headphones-headphone-cable-accessories/AUDCarbon.html

If you are looking at changing pads, it's usually a good idea to swap like for like in terms of material. Even adding more depth to an earpad can drastically change the tuning. There's the odd occasion where the change is welcome, but there will always be a change.

The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 are a great example, no one has been able to find a replacement for the stock pads that sound as good. But the stock pads wear quite quickly so you end up buying a new set every year or two.

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #6,095 of 7,191
Just a friendly reminder, changing from stock pads to any other pads at all will change what you're hearing. The tuning is always changed.

Maybe try removing the stock pads and just putting the new pads pressed on to have a listen. If you're happy then go wild destroying your old pads for the fixing plate.

Be especially careful about changing to a different material type, for instance leather to velour. That will change the tuning even more. What one person enjoys another may hate. It's not to say either is wrong, we just have different preferences. If you switch from leather/pleather to velour you're going to lose bass quantity and they may appear brighter.
Yes you’re absolutely right. But in this case, Penrose being a closed back, a Velour/Suede Pad will open up the stage a bit and also tame the upper mids and highs somewhat. Atleast that’s what I’m hearing. Stock leatherette pads had a somewhat forward mids and slightly sharp highs. Also, to help I changed the EQ to gently warm. Overall it’s very pleasant to listen to, music as well as gaming. I can easily go for 5 hours sessions with no discomfort/fatigue whatsoever.

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #6,096 of 7,191
Yes you’re absolutely right. But in this case, Penrose being a closed back, a Velour/Suede Pad will open up the stage a bit and also tame the upper mids and highs somewhat. Atleast that’s what I’m hearing. Stock leatherette pads had a somewhat forward mids and slightly sharp highs. Also, to help I changed the EQ to gently warm. Overall it’s very pleasant to listen to, music as well as gaming. I can easily go for 5 hours sessions with no discomfort/fatigue whatsoever.
Nice, I felt the highs were a bit sharp as well. I used the dolby Atmos warm setting to tame them. Hopefully a bit less sweaty with a velour as well.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #6,098 of 7,191
Nice, I felt the highs were a bit sharp as well. I used the dolby Atmos warm setting to tame them. Hopefully a bit less sweaty with a velour as well.
Yes, the ear region feels airy and breathable as well. Definitely would suggest you to go for good quality velour/suede pads to negate the use of unnecessary EQ/Dolby Atmos tweaking, since it will alter the original sound signature, which is indeed superb.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #6,099 of 7,191

when you all say HIGHS you mean maybe when the arey speaking and then raise their voice and it gets a lot louder with a high-pitched voice that hurts the ears. or with other sounds too like explosions or something? like the volume go a lot louder from the rest or like you have the volumen at 4 out of 10 and what that happens it seems like 10 ( talking about ps5 gaming )

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #6,100 of 7,191
when you all say HIGHS you mean maybe when the arey speaking and then raise their voice and it gets a lot louder with a high-pitched voice that hurts the ears. or with other sounds too like explosions or something? like the volume go a lot louder from the rest or like you have the volumen at 4 out of 10 and what that happens it seems like 10 ( talking about ps5 gaming )
Those higher pitch sounds generally, they'll fall within certain frequency ranges. Some people don't have any problems with that, but my ears don't agree. That's where some EQ profiles can really help out (or EQ yourself in the areas there are an issue)

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #6,101 of 7,191
If I connect the wireless dongle to an iPad Pro will I get true lossless sound from Apple Music?

I don't think any wireless headset does true lossless (of higher definition music where it matters) and those that say they do are probably capping somewhere along the way. 24 bit @ 88KHz that you pictured almost certainly breaching even the higher resolution wireless rates.
But put it another way, even if they did all wireless headsets need a DAC in the headset itself so the limiting factor will always be the quality of that DAC, not whatever source or dongle you might have in the iPad.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #6,102 of 7,191
Dear Audeze,

I bought the Audeze Penrose X Headphones, I'm on my second pair and soon I will be on my 3rd. I found a Problem with your headphones and a possible solution.

The problem

These headphones are sealed, which means there is a chamber of air created between the ear of the user and the earcup. This is good for isolation of sound and I'm pretty sure that is what Audeze is going for. The problem comes with use. If by any chance the user presses the earcup against the head, the air trapped inside the cup will try to escape, because of the increase in pressure. This ends up stretching the membrane, which it's the weakest of all components that surrounds the air inside the earcup. A stretched membrane makes unwanted high pitch noises (from my experience when playing sounds around 400Hz to 700Hz). This is so easy to do that I just got my second pair and its already happening.

The solution

A simple tiny hole to let the air evacuate when this pressure is applied is enough to avoid damage to the membrane. My suggestion is a small incision on the sealing material between the detachable earpad and the body of the headphone. This can be done without adding cost of manufacturing and is enough to avoid the stretching. I know that this could change the sound signature of the headphones, but I would rather have that than unwanted high pitch noises.

Hopefully someone from Audeze reads this and implements some version of this in their next revision.

Best Regards

Adrian Santos

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #6,103 of 7,191
Dear Audeze,

I bought the Audeze Penrose X Headphones, I'm on my second pair and soon I will be on my 3rd. I found a Problem with your headphones and a possible solution.

The problem

These headphones are sealed, which means there is a chamber of air created between the ear of the user and the earcup. This is good for isolation of sound and I'm pretty sure that is what Audeze is going for. The problem comes with use. If by any chance the user presses the earcup against the head, the air trapped inside the cup will try to escape, because of the increase in pressure. This ends up stretching the membrane, which it's the weakest of all components that surrounds the air inside the earcup. A stretched membrane makes unwanted high pitch noises (from my experience when playing sounds around 400Hz to 700Hz). This is so easy to do that I just got my second pair and its already happening.

The solution

A simple tiny hole to let the air evacuate when this pressure is applied is enough to avoid damage to the membrane. My suggestion is a small incision on the sealing material between the detachable earpad and the body of the headphone. This can be done without adding cost of manufacturing and is enough to avoid the stretching. I know that this could change the sound signature of the headphones, but I would rather have that than unwanted high pitch noises.

Hopefully someone from Audeze reads this and implements some version of this in their next revision.

Best Regards

Adrian Santos
Thank you for those suggestions. We'll pass them up to engineering for review. Regarding the noise you're hearing, my best guess is that it's not the product of a stretched membrane, but rather the issue is likely to be a byproduct of the wireless transmission itself. This is something we've heard scattered reports of, but it unfortunately doesn't appear to be something we're able to eliminate entirely as it's endemic to the chipsets that are currently available to us. In addition, due to the accuracy of our drivers being able to reproduce this sound more than would be apparent on other wireless systems running similar chips, we cannot rely on the same solutions other manufacturers have used for this particular problem.

Regarding your suggestions specifically, it may please you to know that we already have a form of your suggestion in place. If you swivel the earcup down on your Penrose, you should see three small vent holes underneath the curved "C" shaped yoke. These vents help prevent the drivers from being damaged due to overpressurization in the earcup. Stretched membranes are something that can happen over time on planar magnetic headphones due to our unique driver design, however, this is usually only an issue when it comes to extreme cases, and a slight pressure on the diaphragm will not change the sound in a measurable way (unless it's being stretched far more than it's intended to, like if you push the headphones down on your head and create a very high pressure region inside the earcup).

While it can be mildly bothersome to a few listeners, this issue is not harmful to your headphones and you're free to continue using them. Normal audio should completely mask the issue for the time being. If you feel the issue may be present to a degree that we would not consider normal, please email support@audeze.com and we can look into getting those headphones back to us for inspection"

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #6,104 of 7,191
Thank you for those suggestions. We'll pass them up to engineering for review. Regarding the noise you're hearing, my best guess is that it's not the product of a stretched membrane, but rather the issue is likely to be a byproduct of the wireless transmission itself. This is something we've heard scattered reports of, but it unfortunately doesn't appear to be something we're able to eliminate entirely as it's endemic to the chipsets that are currently available to us. In addition, due to the accuracy of our drivers being able to reproduce this sound more than would be apparent on other wireless systems running similar chips, we cannot rely on the same solutions other manufacturers have used for this particular problem.

Regarding your suggestions specifically, it may please you to know that we already have a form of your suggestion in place. If you swivel the earcup down on your Penrose, you should see three small vent holes underneath the curved "C" shaped yoke. These vents help prevent the drivers from being damaged due to overpressurization in the earcup. Stretched membranes are something that can happen over time on planar magnetic headphones due to our unique driver design, however, this is usually only an issue when it comes to extreme cases, and a slight pressure on the diaphragm will not change the sound in a measurable way (unless it's being stretched far more than it's intended to, like if you push the headphones down on your head and create a very high pressure region inside the earcup).

While it can be mildly bothersome to a few listeners, this issue is not harmful to your headphones and you're free to continue using them. Normal audio should completely mask the issue for the time being. If you feel the issue may be present to a degree that we would not consider normal, please email support@audeze.com and we can look into getting those headphones back to us for inspection"
I'm pretty sure that it's not a wireless transmission problem, as it occurs when wired as well. The vents you have mentioned are on the outer side of the cup and there are none on the inner side. Just laying down on your side with the headphones on can overpressurize the cup, I made that mistake before and ended up with damaged headphones. I didn't realise this until it was too late. I have done this with countless headphones before with no problems. I love these headphones, this is the only criticism I have for them. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #6,105 of 7,191
i suggested before they could make a short of rubber flaps that seals the earcup and if thier any sort of pressure the flaps can open outwards and vent the air pressure out and keep the headset closed, or maybe add the rubber flaps on the ring ro the ead pads, or a overlaping slit that would vent pressure and remain close if no pressure, to keep the earpads sealed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back