Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 19, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #6,121 of 7,191
Dear Audeze,

I bought the Audeze Penrose X Headphones, I'm on my second pair and soon I will be on my 3rd. I found a Problem with your headphones and a possible solution.

The problem

These headphones are sealed, which means there is a chamber of air created between the ear of the user and the earcup. This is good for isolation of sound and I'm pretty sure that is what Audeze is going for. The problem comes with use. If by any chance the user presses the earcup against the head, the air trapped inside the cup will try to escape, because of the increase in pressure. This ends up stretching the membrane, which it's the weakest of all components that surrounds the air inside the earcup. A stretched membrane makes unwanted high pitch noises (from my experience when playing sounds around 400Hz to 700Hz). This is so easy to do that I just got my second pair and its already happening.

The solution

A simple tiny hole to let the air evacuate when this pressure is applied is enough to avoid damage to the membrane. My suggestion is a small incision on the sealing material between the detachable earpad and the body of the headphone. This can be done without adding cost of manufacturing and is enough to avoid the stretching. I know that this could change the sound signature of the headphones, but I would rather have that than unwanted high pitch noises.

Hopefully someone from Audeze reads this and implements some version of this in their next revision.

Best Regards

Adrian Santos
This solution should work. But I found out another solution that applies to me. I started wearing my prescription glasses everytime I put these headphones on. The tiny gaps created due to this is just enough to let the air escape with very minimal change in sound. But then again, it doesn't work for everyone.

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #6,123 of 7,191
Have the popping issues been fixed for the Penrose X yet? I tried this headset in December and in February or March, and both times, the popping was absolutely terrible, and I tried everything you can possibly think of (except connecting a 2m cable to the usb dongle and attaching it to the wall, wondering if that might work). I still miss the headset, because it sounded so amazing. I've been using the Arctis 7X and that had popping when I first got them, but it magically went away, not sure why... so for a few months the connection issues have been gone, so I'm wondering if maybe it is worth trying the Penrose again? Has anyone found a solution to popping, or has an update fixed it? Really want the "best of the best" gaming headset, and I honestly feel like Penrose was the one, but the popping was so obnoxious, and like I said, I tried everything but couldn't get it to stop. But considering, the popping went away with my Arctis 7X headset, maybe worth trying Penrose again? That is all, thanks!

EDIT: Bought it on Amazon for a good price, will have it next week, and if popping is still an issue, I can try the USB extension cord (not sure what kind to buy, any suggestions would be appreciated just in case). I can return it if I have issues, and I feel even though I love my Arctis 7X's, I wanna give Penrose one last shot since it really was the best I've ever tried in terms of sound.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #6,124 of 7,191
I've got an extension like that that brings it across the room for it to sit right next to me. It's sad that I have to do it, but it works. I have a love hate relationship with these headphones. I just bought some Beoplay Portals and to me they don't sound as good as the Penrose X nor are they anywhere as loud. The other issue I have is a crinkle/crackle sound in the left ear cups. It's very distracting especially when trying to game. I'll have to check with support and see if they can get fixed. If I could mix the connectivity and polish of the Beoplay portals with the sound and volume of the Penrose, I'd be in heaven. I'd honestly even be willing to pay for a "higher end" Penrose if the reason for the shortcomings is the cost concerns.

Also, anyone know when we're getting another firmware update? Bluetooth phone calls are too quiet on this new update in comparison to the game audio and there's no way to quickly adjust the volume in the middle of the call. Also I'm still having to open the app for the game chat balance since they didn't switch the way you change it. These feel beta and are still great. Give me a $500 pair with no shortcomings, and I'm all over them.
Can you please link the USB extension cable?

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #6,127 of 7,191
Does anyone know if Audeze shares their plans for upcoming Penrose firmware releases? There’s nothing on the official site, apart from past release notes
Unfortunately not. I've (and others) had made numerous attempts to get communication / clarification from many Audeze members ( @KMann @Audeze @AudezeGrover @hedfreq ) on this very topic, and other topics as well. And, more often than not, formal responses are not given / received.

For example there has been overwhelming request in regards to addressing / swapping the game/chat mix function? Previous post for reference: Game / Chat Mix Request. And if feedback from the Head-fi community isn't enough, social media influences / reviewers are saying the same thing:

There also have been numerous other feature / bug requests..., that have also gone unanswered. If someone is taking the time to post here, it's pretty evident they are passionate about audio, and audio products. And they are providing valuable feedback, to ultimately have bugs / problems addressed, and have a product improved. I think we all understand..., that a product can't / will never be perfect, and the all request / features can't be adjusted to each individuals requests. Many of us here have a very realistic approach and understanding of this.

But...when posts / questions / requests continue to go unanswered, it becomes a very discouraging / negative process for the end user / client. So...hopefully with the help of the community (other's such as yourself), this will get the attention of Audeze, and start to garner a more positive relationship and feedback experience between all of us ( company / client as well ). Fingers crossed.

Jul 26, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #6,128 of 7,191
I received my Brainwavz pads the other day and after a bit 'o struggle getting them installed on the headphones I do have an initial impression. They are an improvement to me. I like the feel and the comfort. Because I do not use my Penrose to do critical music listening I didn't really tell a difference in the sound deliverance (I wasn't trying to decern it either). I do recommend replacing the pads for anyone who wants a more comfortable listening experience. Or if you want to hide that green plastic :) (or blue).

20210726_105345.jpg

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #6,129 of 7,191
I received my Brainwavz pads the other day and after a bit 'o struggle getting them installed on the headphones I do have an initial impression. They are an improvement to me. I like the feel and the comfort. Because I do not use my Penrose to do critical music listening I didn't really tell a difference in the sound deliverance (I wasn't trying to decern it either). I do recommend replacing the pads for anyone who wants a more comfortable listening experience. Or if you want to hide that green plastic :) (or blue).

20210726_105345.jpg
I have those same microseude pads, how did you get them on the Penrose? Did you have to follow The Techne's instructions or did you do it yourself?

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #6,130 of 7,191
Sooo, are there any Wireless 2.4ghz set of cans on the market currently(or on the horizon) that sound better than the Penrose? I'd be willing to pay twice the amount for a pair that can at least sound as good as my Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm + DAC) just so i can finally axe that wire. Unfortunately, the Penrose didn't quite cut it for me, even after messing the EQ presets. 'Classical and Accoustic Space' sounded the best of the bunch but even then they lacked the richness, detail and bass of my DT770's. As for now, I guess i'll have to settle for a DAC. Something like the Schiit HEL 2. I'll just have to hide the DAC under my couch, and manage the Power & USB Cables, plus Hub with cable covers gliding/sticking along side the bottom of the Moldings on my Walls. :p

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #6,132 of 7,191
I have those same microseude pads, how did you get them on the Penrose? Did you have to follow The Techne's instructions or did you do it yourself?

Yes, I watched the youtube video and attempted to follow it. I ended up cutting bigger holes and had a struggle getting the cups to click back in. It isn't perfect, as there is some tearing on the bottom that lets a little green through, but it still works and I'm happy with it.

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #6,133 of 7,191
Yes, I watched the youtube video and attempted to follow it. I ended up cutting bigger holes and had a struggle getting the cups to click back in. It isn't perfect, as there is some tearing on the bottom that lets a little green through, but it still works and I'm happy with it.
Ok, good to hear. I have my wicked cushions cooling gel pads (the FreeZe ones with the sportsmaterial/leather) and I use em on my Arctis 7X. They are amazing. If all goes well with Penrose and no popping or cutting out etc, I will prob install them. I have microsuede pads from brainwavz and they seemed to trap more heat, so I probably wont use those. I definitely will give it a good month before installing my earpads to Penrose because I wanna be sure there is no popping. Besides I remember liking the stock Penrose pads quite a bit for the 5 days I used them back in December. I had to return them due to excessive popping and troubleshooted for hours but to no avail. I was so heartbroken lol. But now that the popping has subsided with my Arctis 7X headset I gotta give the Penrose another go! I am very happy with my Arctis 7X right now but I just know I would be beyond ecstatic if Penrose worked out!

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #6,135 of 7,191
Unfortunately not. I've (and others) had made numerous attempts to get communication / clarification from many Audeze members ( @KMann @Audeze @AudezeGrover @hedfreq ) on this very topic, and other topics as well. And, more often than not, formal responses are not given / received.

For example there has been overwhelming request in regards to addressing / swapping the game/chat mix function? Previous post for reference: Game / Chat Mix Request. And if feedback from the Head-fi community isn't enough, social media influences / reviewers are saying the same thing:

There also have been numerous other feature / bug requests..., that have also gone unanswered. If someone is taking the time to post here, it's pretty evident they are passionate about audio, and audio products. And they are providing valuable feedback, to ultimately have bugs / problems addressed, and have a product improved. I think we all understand..., that a product can't / will never be perfect, and the all request / features can't be adjusted to each individuals requests. Many of us here have a very realistic approach and understanding of this.

But...when posts / questions / requests continue to go unanswered, it becomes a very discouraging / negative process for the end user / client. So...hopefully with the help of the community (other's such as yourself), this will get the attention of Audeze, and start to garner a more positive relationship and feedback experience between all of us ( company / client as well ). Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the clarification! Now I’m no longer worried I wasn’t looking well enough. To be honest, I quite like my Penrose cans and the biggest issue for me is the battery life. USB extenders seem to be a decent workaround for the majority of the connection issues. And if Audeze manages to address most of the requested software and usability bugs - even better :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back