Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 31, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #4,891 of 7,191
Also as a former arctis user nothing can make me go back to that headset after using Audeze planar magnetics. I switched between the two even at its best everything sounds distorted to me.

I agree.

I have both the Arctis 7x and the Penrose X. The Penrose is head and shoulders above the 7x when it comes to sound quality. Better clarity in the midrange. More bass extension. More bass control. More detail in the high end. Wider sound stage. More precise soundstage.

The 7x is a great headphone for the price. It is MUCH nicer than using the $60 wired Xbox brand headphones, it just doesn't complete with the Penrose when it comes to sound.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #4,892 of 7,191
I've put an RMA request in. The number of issues are too high, the worst of which have hurt my ears twice due to the volume randomly setting itself to highest after disconnecting from 2.4 whilst still being connected to bluetooth.

The other issues are just annoying:
1. Whooshing in the left ear
2. Microphone randomly setting itself to zero when online with friends (no dials being touched)
3. Getting stuck in a loop of it saying "connected"
4. Battery charge time being much longer than advertised

It's a shame as they have a decent sound for anyone looking for an all in one option for media.

And this is why i've decided to look at other options. I wouldn't be able to handle a single crackle, woosh or drop out during a movie or game. I dont get ANY of that when using a wired set of cans with my receiver. But i know, deep down that something like an Arctis 7p Will most likely sound inferior compared to my Beyer Dynamic DT770's...

It's funny, I've got wireless video game controllers, with Charging docks in my end table right beside my couch for sheer convenience. It all feels modern, but i'm still dealing with an annoying long wire with my Beyer headphones while plugged. It feels so 2010. :p But the audio quality and not having to deal with any of the issues above are fantastic. Still, i'm dying to go wireless

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #4,893 of 7,191
And this is why i've decided to look at other options. I wouldn't be able to handle a single crackle, woosh or drop out during a movie or game. I dont get ANY of that when using a wired set of cans with my receiver. But i know, deep down that something like an Arctis 7p Will most likely sound inferior compared to my Beyer Dynamic DT770's...

It's funny, I've got wireless video game controllers, with Charging docks in my end table right beside my couch for sheer convenience. It all feels modern, but i'm still dealing with an annoying long wire with my Beyer headphones while plugged. It feels so 2010. :p But the audio quality and not having to deal with any of the issues above are fantastic. Still, i'm dying to go wireless

You don’t have to go so deep man dt770 sounds better than than any Arctis series that’s a fact.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #4,894 of 7,191
yes regarding the mic i think its sensitive like if you place it close to your mouth it will cause distortion or something clipping, i have a low deep voice short of hard to explaine, i can easily distort speakers in karaoke bars hahahahahaha
i was used to using my arctis 7 placing the mic really closed to my mouth i even moded its mic to extend further so i can place it really close, and when i switch to penrose that was the cause i sound very muffled on discord , the fix was extending the mic further away to my mouth and pointing the mic up instead to my mouth

for the charging with hum also try a phone usb charger so it wont pick up noise from a pc or laptop or console

i use a old usb phone adapter with a magnetic type c plug so its easy to attach when i need to charge, all my plug i use magnetic cables so i wont wear the connectors

Thank you for your tip about magnetic cable

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #4,895 of 7,191
Put the Penrose back on and listened to some music after a while of not having used it. I'm sill astounded how good this damn thing sounds.

Sorry to hear about all the problems some of you have, but the pair I have has been perfect.

I wasn't thrilled with the mic quality, and the weird shenanigans with bluetooth pairing, and what other more niche uses the Penrose has, but as far as just using the wireless mode and as a headphone only (no mic), this thing kicks serious ass.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #4,897 of 7,191
I just bought the Audeze Penrose X for my Xbox Series X & am looking forward to having them by Wednesday.

I have been doing a ton of research between Steelseries 9X & 7X, Astro A50, Turtle Beach Stealth 700 & finally the Audeze Penrose X.

My decision came solely down to that the Audeze is almost hands down the absolute best sound you can get.

Almost all other brands have issues. 9x with connection issues, 7x with the terrible lack of support with Bluetooth, Astro A50 with the same terrible connection issues as the 9X (I'm assuming issues with the 9X & A50's being designed for the Xbox One & now having quite the issue with functioning from Optical to USB support). As for the Turtle Beach I am coming for the Elite 800x & I'm quite frankly done with them as I have had a terrible experience for the last few years.

I'm looking forward to the sound quality upgrade. I'm running the Dolby Atmos app via the Series X but from the pages read on here & the positive feedback I may upgrade to DSX. I'll definitely try the trial to compare the two via Rainbow Six Siege.

I know people have had various issues with white noise, popping/crackling, mic issues, distance of connection, etc. & I am hoping to post my review on here after some use. The issue, imo, I feel could be fixed with firmware updates. But the issues that scare me the most are the uber sensitive magnetic drivers being damage potentially due to shipping issues or the air compression when wearing. Also the issue people experienced where it was a manufacturing defect of installing the wrong side magnetic driver?

In any case, I appreciate you guys & this thread. It helped me make my decision & I hope my review will be able to help others. I now know what to look for & Audeze has an opportunity to earn a faithful client for years to come.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #4,899 of 7,191
I agree.

I have both the Arctis 7x and the Penrose X. The Penrose is head and shoulders above the 7x when it comes to sound quality. Better clarity in the midrange. More bass extension. More bass control. More detail in the high end. Wider sound stage. More precise soundstage.

The 7x is a great headphone for the price. It is MUCH nicer than using the $60 wired Xbox brand headphones, it just doesn't complete with the Penrose when it comes to sound.

And then it's posts like this that get me interested again. sigh. lol The Arctis 7p sound a lot less alluring knowing that they produce inferior sound compared to my Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm)'s. But that should be expected when you look at the difference between pricing. I mean why settle for less, even if it means no wire.

I just dont want any drop outs, crackling, wooshing or noise floor with the Penrose. I'd be using them With the Switch, PS5 & my TV for Streaming and that's it.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #4,900 of 7,191
I have it in mine, but it doesn't bother me that much. It's very faint, and it's not always even there.

Same. If Penrose is hooked up to my work laptop or phone and there is no sound, I can hear very faint static noise and sometimes this wind noise.
When music is playing or I'm in a conference call, I can't hear the noises. Same thing on PS5. I turned off the sidetone recently, but haven't tried out if it makes a difference yet.
Either way, the noise is so silent it doesn't bother me.

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #4,901 of 7,191
I just bought the Audeze Penrose X for my Xbox Series X & am looking forward to having them by Wednesday.

I have been doing a ton of research between Steelseries 9X & 7X, Astro A50, Turtle Beach Stealth 700 & finally the Audeze Penrose X.

My decision came solely down to that the Audeze is almost hands down the absolute best sound you can get.

Almost all other brands have issues. 9x with connection issues, 7x with the terrible lack of support with Bluetooth, Astro A50 with the same terrible connection issues as the 9X (I'm assuming issues with the 9X & A50's being designed for the Xbox One & now having quite the issue with functioning from Optical to USB support). As for the Turtle Beach I am coming for the Elite 800x & I'm quite frankly done with them as I have had a terrible experience for the last few years.

I'm looking forward to the sound quality upgrade. I'm running the Dolby Atmos app via the Series X but from the pages read on here & the positive feedback I may upgrade to DSX. I'll definitely try the trial to compare the two via Rainbow Six Siege.

I know people have had various issues with white noise, popping/crackling, mic issues, distance of connection, etc. & I am hoping to post my review on here after some use. The issue, imo, I feel could be fixed with firmware updates. But the issues that scare me the most are the uber sensitive magnetic drivers being damage potentially due to shipping issues or the air compression when wearing. Also the issue people experienced where it was a manufacturing defect of installing the wrong side magnetic driver?

In any case, I appreciate you guys & this thread. It helped me make my decision & I hope my review will be able to help others. I now know what to look for & Audeze has an opportunity to earn a faithful client for years to come.
I found they could be a bit sharp in some of the highs. Setting the Dolby app sound profile to 'warm' fixed that for me on the Series X.

Just a quick warning, if your using the Series X, please be aware that some people (including myself) have had interference with wireless headsets, from the Series X controller. Microsoft are in the process of replacing my controller. I went out and bought an Xbox One controller to fix the problem in the meantime. It is only party chat that might be affected, not game audio.

How you enjoy them.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #4,903 of 7,191
So for the left ear wooshing, is that a problem every pair has or is it just a common defect? If the latter, I guess I'll try my luck with an exchange, but no point if it's the former.
I have it, quiet enough to not notice it when audio is playing. But easily noticeable and annoying when no audio is playing. I'm in the processing of returning mine sadly.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,904 of 7,191
I found they could be a bit sharp in some of the highs. Setting the Dolby app sound profile to 'warm' fixed that for me on the Series X.

Just a quick warning, if your using the Series X, please be aware that some people (including myself) have had interference with wireless headsets, from the Series X controller. Microsoft are in the process of replacing my controller. I went out and bought an Xbox One controller to fix the problem in the meantime. It is only party chat that might be affected, not game audio.

How you enjoy them.

There's some weird stuff going on with Series X controllers and wireless headsets for sure. Since starting to use the Penrose, I've noticed that the controller will suddenly start experiencing a significant amount of input lag that is quite noticeable in certain games like FPS (Battlefield V in my case). Turning the controller off and on again seems to fix the issue, but it's bizarre and I can't quite determine when or why it happens. It's as though the WiFi direct signal that the controller uses is somehow crossing wires with the signal coming out of these dongles (or the native codec within the Xbox itself in the case of the headsets that don't use dongles, like 9X, which seems to have horrible connection issues with Series X).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back