Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #4,921 of 7,191
Out of curiosity, is yours a Disc or Digital PS5? Just wondering if maybe it’s an issue with the Digital version. I’ve seen other reports of the front port not working correctly for other headset dongles as well. Good to hear it’s not affecting everyone though.

Either way, the USB 2.0 hub workaround works fine for me, and it actually keeps the dongle from sticking out past the front of my entertainment center so it doesn’t accidentally get kicked/broken when walking by or something.

I have the disc version.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #4,922 of 7,191
Out of curiosity, is yours a Disc or Digital PS5? Just wondering if maybe it’s an issue with the Digital version. I’ve seen other reports of the front port not working correctly for other headset dongles as well. Good to hear it’s not affecting everyone though.

Either way, the USB 2.0 hub workaround works fine for me, and it actually keeps the dongle from sticking out past the front of my entertainment center so it doesn’t accidentally get kicked/broken when walking by or something.

I have disc version and the clicks and pops are there using the front port. Rear port was worse
I sit about 10 feet with clear LOS to the dongle

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #4,924 of 7,191
I almost returned these before my 30 days were up but I decided to use them more and more. I was so used to the Arctis 7 and how light they were, that I was gonna just stick with them but boy is the sound quality so bad compared to these.

After using them for so long I thought the Arctis 7 sounded fine but man are they super muddy compared to the Penrose. I find myself using the Penrose more and more now and switch to having the Arctis as my backup headset. The only thing that the Arctis has over the Penrose is the chat/volume mixer on the headset. I still love that feature on the Arctis for when I'm in Discord and it's such a shame that Penrose didn't allow this for PC.

Overall though I'm happy that I didn't return mine. It also connects instantly when I turn it on. If it doesn't, I just cycle through the settings (bluetooth, aux, wireless) and then it connects when I rotate back to wireless.

I also wish they would have made the earcups replaceable more easily. I want to pick up a suede pads but ripping these off isn't ideal.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #4,925 of 7,191
Hey everyone, I returned the Penrose X about a month and a half ago because I had pretty severe popping/crackling on my Xbox Series X. I had tried everything to fix it, and it overly-stressed me out, and I had to return them. Really liked the headset, so it was not an easy decision, but I told myself if popping ever stops or gets better, maybe I'll go back to them.

Well, the popping seems to have gotten a lot better. I am actually able to use my Astro A50 Gen 4's without Optical and so far zero popping since last night! I've also tested the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 and Razer Kaira Pro and those have some popping, but it's not super frequent like it was before. I'm thinking, because of this, I would like to try the Penrose X again since I have been wanting to upgrade from my Astro A50 Gen 4's and get something that's comfy, really good audio, and has noise isolation. I'm used to using the modkit leather pads for my Astros, but those make my ears hot and sweaty, and definitely getting sick of them. The Penrose from what I remember did not cause my ears to get hot and sweaty. I was pretty impressed with them. Best audio ever too. I like the Turtle Beaches and the Razer headset, but they are direct connect so they do not have lossless audio pretty sure and definitely do not seem to be interference free. I had some pops with them, but I think it's because I had the phone in my room or moved around my room or something. I really want the best of the best for audio, comfort, isolation, and reliable connection, so that's why the Penrose X is like "the one" for me I'm thinking.

But with that being said, I have some questions about the Penrose X before I return Razer and Turtle Beaches I was trying, and buy the Penrose X again. Is anyone having the popping issues I mentioned, or any other connection issues when using it with Series X? Like I said, it was really bad a month and a half ago for every headset I tried that didn't have Optical. Like every 30 seconds I'd hear a pop. Now it's like once an hour or not at all. Haven't even heard a single pop with my Astros, so really hoping same with Penrose X. I imagine there won't be popping since they utilize the USB audio with the 2.4ghz connection. Astros use the Base Station while Penrose X uses the dongle, but they should be similar in how they offer the interference-free lossless audio, etc, right? Also, did they ever fix that awful "wooshing" sound you'd hear pretty often? I remember that being annoying. I don't think it's a dealbreaker, but if they never fix that, well it'd really suck! And what about the weird audio glitch where every so often the volume would spike to absurd levels? It freaked me out and happened a few times because it was so loud lol. Hope they fixed these issues.

That is all, thanks!

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4,926 of 7,191
Hey everyone, I returned the Penrose X about a month and a half ago because I had pretty severe popping/crackling on my Xbox Series X. I had tried everything to fix it, and it overly-stressed me out, and I had to return them. Really liked the headset, so it was not an easy decision, but I told myself if popping ever stops or gets better, maybe I'll go back to them.

Well, the popping seems to have gotten a lot better. I am actually able to use my Astro A50 Gen 4's without Optical and so far zero popping since last night! I've also tested the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 and Razer Kaira Pro and those have some popping, but it's not super frequent like it was before. I'm thinking, because of this, I would like to try the Penrose X again since I have been wanting to upgrade from my Astro A50 Gen 4's and get something that's comfy, really good audio, and has noise isolation. I'm used to using the modkit leather pads for my Astros, but those make my ears hot and sweaty, and definitely getting sick of them. The Penrose from what I remember did not cause my ears to get hot and sweaty. I was pretty impressed with them. Best audio ever too. I like the Turtle Beaches and the Razer headset, but they are direct connect so they do not have lossless audio pretty sure and definitely do not seem to be interference free. I had some pops with them, but I think it's because I had the phone in my room or moved around my room or something. I really want the best of the best for audio, comfort, isolation, and reliable connection, so that's why the Penrose X is like "the one" for me I'm thinking.

But with that being said, I have some questions about the Penrose X before I return Razer and Turtle Beaches I was trying, and buy the Penrose X again. Is anyone having the popping issues I mentioned, or any other connection issues when using it with Series X? Like I said, it was really bad a month and a half ago for every headset I tried that didn't have Optical. Like every 30 seconds I'd hear a pop. Now it's like once an hour or not at all. Haven't even heard a single pop with my Astros, so really hoping same with Penrose X. I imagine there won't be popping since they utilize the USB audio with the 2.4ghz connection. Astros use the Base Station while Penrose X uses the dongle, but they should be similar in how they offer the interference-free lossless audio, etc, right? Also, did they ever fix that awful "wooshing" sound you'd hear pretty often? I remember that being annoying. I don't think it's a dealbreaker, but if they never fix that, well it'd really suck! And what about the weird audio glitch where every so often the volume would spike to absurd levels? It freaked me out and happened a few times because it was so loud lol. Hope they fixed these issues.

That is all, thanks!
Mine are with them now for repair/replacement due to most of the same issues you listed; popping, connection issues, wooshing. Only difference is I was on a X1 and not Series X, I dont know how much difference can be attributed to system, if any.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #4,927 of 7,191
Mine are with them now for repair/replacement due to most of the same issues you listed; popping, connection issues, wooshing. Only difference is I was on a X1 and not Series X, I dont know how much difference can be attributed to system, if any.
How bad was the popping for you? Would you hear a pop like every 30 seconds, or would it be like once an hour? For me, it was inconsistent, like sometimes it'd be every 10 seconds, other times it'd be every 10 minutes. It went on for a few months and I tried many diff headsets like the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2's and the Penrose and even my Astros. I first discovered it in August with the 700 Gen 2's, and I really liked them but the popping was awful lol. Tried them again a month later, still pretty bad. I then found my Astros had the popping when I got my SX on launch day. SX doesn't support Optical, so I was shocked to hear them pop and crackle so much. I pretty much dealt with the popping of my Astros for a good month till I got the LG CX TV - which thankfully had Optical support. I was able to connect my base station to that via Optical and popping was completely gone on Xbox. My Penrose X was delivered shortly after, and sadly, they had terrible popping/crackling as well... I tried everything. Nothing worked. I absolutely lost my mind. I gave up pretty much thinking I'd never fix it and stuck with my Astros since I could use the Optical connection. Decided to try the Turtle Beaches a week ago, and I couldn't believe the popping was (mostly) gone. Don't know why or how but it's a lot better for some reason.

So yeah, it got me thinking about the Penrose again, so I figure I should return everything and try to order it online again. Really hopeful there won't be any popping. I've heard a few pops with my Astros today, but I think it's just bc it's a buggy headset and I was messing with Dolby Atmos settings, so that's probably why. I swear, the A50 Gen 4, as good as it is, has been the most buggy piece of tech I've ever owned. I don't even know if popping is gone for sure, but Idk I'm too impatient to wait and find out right now. I just wanna try the Penrose X again since I loved it so much -_-

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #4,929 of 7,191
How bad was the popping for you? Would you hear a pop like every 30 seconds, or would it be like once an hour? For me, it was inconsistent, like sometimes it'd be every 10 seconds, other times it'd be every 10 minutes. It went on for a few months and I tried many diff headsets like the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2's and the Penrose and even my Astros. I first discovered it in August with the 700 Gen 2's, and I really liked them but the popping was awful lol. Tried them again a month later, still pretty bad. I then found my Astros had the popping when I got my SX on launch day. SX doesn't support Optical, so I was shocked to hear them pop and crackle so much. I pretty much dealt with the popping of my Astros for a good month till I got the LG CX TV - which thankfully had Optical support. I was able to connect my base station to that via Optical and popping was completely gone on Xbox. My Penrose X was delivered shortly after, and sadly, they had terrible popping/crackling as well... I tried everything. Nothing worked. I absolutely lost my mind. I gave up pretty much thinking I'd never fix it and stuck with my Astros since I could use the Optical connection. Decided to try the Turtle Beaches a week ago, and I couldn't believe the popping was (mostly) gone. Don't know why or how but it's a lot better for some reason.

So yeah, it got me thinking about the Penrose again, so I figure I should return everything and try to order it online again. Really hopeful there won't be any popping. I've heard a few pops with my Astros today, but I think it's just bc it's a buggy headset and I was messing with Dolby Atmos settings, so that's probably why. I swear, the A50 Gen 4, as good as it is, has been the most buggy piece of tech I've ever owned. I don't even know if popping is gone for sure, but Idk I'm too impatient to wait and find out right now. I just wanna try the Penrose X again since I loved it so much -_-
Honestly it sounds like you have some pretty bad interference where you're using your headphones. When I get popping it's pretty constant. If I get a good connection with my Penrose X it almost never pops at all throughout the whole session but I can pretty much only get a good connection at my PC where I sit about 2 ft away.

I'm guessing my usb stick is defective though because my Astro A50s and Arctis 7x have zero popping/connection problem at all from up to 15-20 ft away including going to other rooms (I can walk all the way to my kitchen from my room with 2 walls in between and I don't even get popping/glitches).

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #4,930 of 7,191
Honestly it sounds like you have some pretty bad interference where you're using your headphones. When I get popping it's pretty constant. If I get a good connection with my Penrose X it almost never pops at all throughout the whole session but I can pretty much only get a good connection at my PC where I sit about 2 ft away.

I'm guessing my usb stick is defective though because my Astro A50s and Arctis 7x have zero popping/connection problem at all from up to 15-20 ft away including going to other rooms (I can walk all the way to my kitchen from my room with 2 walls in between and I don't even get popping/glitches).
Well, that's the thing. This has plagued me for a long time. I really don't think it's interference. I ruled out interference a long time ago when I tried a million things to stop the popping lol. I shouldn't have said it's inconsistent, it was pretty consistent and it happened nonstop for me. I don't wanna say there were "breaks" because I think what happens is I'd hard reset Xbox, popping would (sometimes) go away for a short bit. It'd always come back though.... I think the popping was something I dealt with all throughout the day, didn't matter what time it was, what I was doing, where I was sitting etc. I don't have a router or wireless devices nearby besides my controller. I actually tried a wired cont and popping still occured constantly. I even shut down any wireless device in the house and all wifi radios too. I really don't know what it was, nothing changed in my room, it could be an Xbox update that fixed it. That's what I'm thinking is most likely. I am in Alpha Skip Ahead so I get updates really often on Xbox. Feel like it was completely out of my control. If it was interference, it wouldn't have lasted for months and aren't those 2.4ghz dongles "interference-free" anyways? I really suspect it's an Xbox issue. These headsets shouldn't be popping much at all. I'm happy it is gone and I still can't believe it, so I should just be thankful for that. I was so worried about it thinking I'd always have to use Optical.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #4,932 of 7,191
I nearly didn't buy the Penrose after reading through this thread, but research led me to get them anyway because I couldn't find another headset that did what I was looking for (PS5 wireless support, great sound + 3.5mm jack connection for video calls on my Mac - so I don't have to keep moving the usb stick).

Slightly at odds with many people on this thread I've found the Penrose to be just what I was looking for. I don't seem to get any of the pops and clicks reported by others. The only time I've noticed issues is when I had the USB stick plugged into the rear port of my Digital Edition PS5 and that was just a brief pop/click before going back to great sound.
I'm not sure if this is part of the reason mine works so well, but my PS5 is using wired ethernet - that might help with the interference?

I've had no issues with using the front USB port, but I'm now using the back port with an extension cable because it looks neater. Since I did this I've had absolutely zero problems. I'm sat about 3 metres away from my console, and although the wireless range is fairly short I don't usually walk away from the sofa when I'm playing games so it doesn't affect my usage at all.

The only negatives I've really found with the Penrose:

1. The volume wheel really does move in big steps and due to this I find it very difficult to use and usually end up adjusting volume on the device. For me this is the number one issue because at the moment it's a fairly trivial fault, but it is really annoying to use.

2. I've used the headset wirelessly with my MacBook, and as someone else reported earlier in the thread, if you turn the headset off when the USB stick is connected to a MacBook it can be really difficult to get it to connect again. It seems like the MacBook USB interface goes to sleep and it doesn't usually wake up again (even if you unplug and replug the dongle). I mainly use it with a wire on my MacBook so this doesn't bother me too much. Would be great to get this fixed though because it is easy to repeat the issue.

So for me and what I was looking for I'm *really* happy with my Penrose.
They sound absolutely fantastic - to the point where (unexpectedly) I'll choose to use them to listen to music over Bluetooth in preference to my Bose QC35s and AirPod Pros because they sound so much better. Admittedly, I'm not an audiophile - I gave up on wired headphones a while ago for music so I'm only comparing against other Bluetooth headphones.

I also find them very comfortable - especially considering they weigh more than my other headphones - and I have a bald head so limited padding. :slight_smile:

On PS5 they're basically plug and play. I just turn them on and they connect and re-route the sound automatically so I can easily switch between headphones and my home theatre. It's also really easy to switch between wireless, bluetooth and Aux with a single button press so I can seamlessly move between Bluetooth on my iPad, Aux on my MacBook and wireless on the PS5. This works much better than I expected it to.

My main reason for posting this is to make sure that people are aware that there is a great product here. Yes, it does sound like there's some teething problems at the moment (hardware issues, and some immature software), but if these can get worked out then I think the Penrose has a huge amount going for it.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #4,934 of 7,191
I nearly didn't buy the Penrose after reading through this thread, but research led me to get them anyway because I couldn't find another headset that did what I was looking for (PS5 wireless support, great sound + 3.5mm jack connection for video calls on my Mac - so I don't have to keep moving the usb stick).

Slightly at odds with many people on this thread I've found the Penrose to be just what I was looking for. I don't seem to get any of the pops and clicks reported by others. The only time I've noticed issues is when I had the USB stick plugged into the rear port of my Digital Edition PS5 and that was just a brief pop/click before going back to great sound.
I'm not sure if this is part of the reason mine works so well, but my PS5 is using wired ethernet - that might help with the interference?

I've had no issues with using the front USB port, but I'm now using the back port with an extension cable because it looks neater. Since I did this I've had absolutely zero problems. I'm sat about 3 metres away from my console, and although the wireless range is fairly short I don't usually walk away from the sofa when I'm playing games so it doesn't affect my usage at all.

The only negatives I've really found with the Penrose:

1. The volume wheel really does move in big steps and due to this I find it very difficult to use and usually end up adjusting volume on the device. For me this is the number one issue because at the moment it's a fairly trivial fault, but it is really annoying to use.

2. I've used the headset wirelessly with my MacBook, and as someone else reported earlier in the thread, if you turn the headset off when the USB stick is connected to a MacBook it can be really difficult to get it to connect again. It seems like the MacBook USB interface goes to sleep and it doesn't usually wake up again (even if you unplug and replug the dongle). I mainly use it with a wire on my MacBook so this doesn't bother me too much. Would be great to get this fixed though because it is easy to repeat the issue.

So for me and what I was looking for I'm *really* happy with my Penrose.
They sound absolutely fantastic - to the point where (unexpectedly) I'll choose to use them to listen to music over Bluetooth in preference to my Bose QC35s and AirPod Pros because they sound so much better. Admittedly, I'm not an audiophile - I gave up on wired headphones a while ago for music so I'm only comparing against other Bluetooth headphones.

I also find them very comfortable - especially considering they weigh more than my other headphones - and I have a bald head so limited padding. :slight_smile:

On PS5 they're basically plug and play. I just turn them on and they connect and re-route the sound automatically so I can easily switch between headphones and my home theatre. It's also really easy to switch between wireless, bluetooth and Aux with a single button press so I can seamlessly move between Bluetooth on my iPad, Aux on my MacBook and wireless on the PS5. This works much better than I expected it to.

My main reason for posting this is to make sure that people are aware that there is a great product here. Yes, it does sound like there's some teething problems at the moment (hardware issues, and some immature software), but if these can get worked out then I think the Penrose has a huge amount going for it.

I'm case anyone at Audeze is taking notes I'm on a wired connection as well. The clicks and pops are the one thing keeping me from loving this headset. Almost every other wireless headset manufacturer has figured out stable connections (yea I know audeze is lossless, so are some of the others) either the dongle has some of the worst quality control ever, or something on the software side needs work.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4,935 of 7,191
Anyone have the preset values for this headphone in numerical format? I accidentally changed the values and hit reset thinking it would reset to what it was before I slipped and now they've reverted back to 0 with no undo option so I need to key them in again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back