Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #4,876 of 7,191
I bought a 7p top composure directly to Penrose. And although it was much more durable and comfortable I ultimately could not get the sound anywhere near the Penrose, even with messing with the eq on pc. But it might not seem that big of a difference to you. If you have somewhere with free returns give it a go. The arctis pro has a bigger range of eq settings (the 7p is only 5 band) I think the pro is 10 band, so that might be able to be dialed in better.

Well, i've been using a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm) on a Sony Receiver via HDMI for lossless audio. Sounds amazing, especially when i increase the bass on my receiver settings. I'm more than happy with the sound, it's just the wire that i'm tired of. i want the convenience of having a wireless set of headphones next to my couch on a night stand, instead of having to always plug in an extension cable into my receiver and then plugging my Beyers into those, while the bloody wire rubs against my neck or hits my shoulder. :p it just seems messy and a bit dated at this point IMO.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #4,877 of 7,191
Well, i've been using a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm) on a Sony Receiver via HDMI for lossless audio. Sounds amazing, especially when i increase the bass on my receiver settings. I'm more than happy with the sound, it's just the wire that i'm tired of. i want the convenience of having a wireless set of headphones next to my couch on a night stand, instead of having to always plug in an extension cable into my receiver and then plugging my Beyers into those, while the bloody wire rubs against my neck or hits my shoulder. :p it just seems messy and a bit dated at this point IMO.
Yeah I get it, I've never used wired because I don't like the cord on my neck or face or whatever. But your best bet is to buy a few wireless headphones from somewhere with a good return policy (if you have one) I'd try the arctis, people like astro but I've never tried and turtle Beach, I think those are your big players

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #4,878 of 7,191
Yeah I get it, I've never used wired because I don't like the cord on my neck or face or whatever. But your best bet is to buy a few wireless headphones from somewhere with a good return policy (if you have one) I'd try the arctis, people like astro but I've never tried and turtle Beach, I think those are your big players

Arctis 7p or Pro? The 7p seems to be the most popular amongst gamers. I mean thats just it really, trying both the 7p and penrose and seeing for myself.

A handful of users on here reported drop outs, floor noise and crackling from the Penrose which put me off. Maybe a recent firmware update has corrected some of the above if it's even possible? I plan on using whichever pair of headphones for Nintendo Switch, PS5 and Streaming....

It's too bad you can't have multiple dongles plugged in at all times... it's annoying knowing that i have to switch dongles whenever i want to use a different system etc. :p

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #4,879 of 7,191
I love my Penrose. I barely notice the crackling noise, it happens randomly. The only problem I have is the Mic volume dropping to zero when connecting/disconnecting with no advice.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #4,881 of 7,191
Arctis 7p or Pro? The 7p seems to be the most popular amongst gamers. I mean thats just it really, trying both the 7p and penrose and seeing for myself.

A handful of users on here reported drop outs, floor noise and crackling from the Penrose which put me off. Maybe a recent firmware update has corrected some of the above if it's even possible? I plan on using whichever pair of headphones for Nintendo Switch, PS5 and Streaming....

It's too bad you can't have multiple dongles plugged in at all times... it's annoying knowing that i have to switch dongles whenever i want to use a different system etc. :p
The 7p,the pro has more equalizer settings, but the 7p is more popular (due to cost, I think they are the same drivers in 7p and pro tbh) I don't know if Penrose works with switch (I don't own one, but I don't remember if people got the switch to work with Penrose x or ps version)

I honestly have no drops, no noise floor or whooshing issues, but my hearing isn't amazing (to many loud concerts). What I do have is crackles and pops occasionally (im assuming it's wireless interference) also my headset will turn up to full volume randomly if I have bt on my phone connected.

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #4,882 of 7,191
The 7p,the pro has more equalizer settings, but the 7p is more popular (due to cost, I think they are the same drivers in 7p and pro tbh) I don't know if Penrose works with switch (I don't own one, but I don't remember if people got the switch to work with Penrose x or ps version)

I honestly have no drops, no noise floor or whooshing issues, but my hearing isn't amazing (to many loud concerts). What I do have is crackles and pops occasionally (im assuming it's wireless interference) also my headset will turn up to full volume randomly if I have bt on my phone connected.
The pro wireless only has a 5 band eq for some reason. The wired has the 10. The pros offer dts which sounds better than the 3d audio ps5 offers. The 7p doesn't offer dts so your stuck with whatever the particular game your playing has to offer. I have the pro wireless and think they sound greatbwith dts enabled. And havent had any connection issues.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #4,886 of 7,191
I've put an RMA request in. The number of issues are too high, the worst of which have hurt my ears twice due to the volume randomly setting itself to highest after disconnecting from 2.4 whilst still being connected to bluetooth.

The other issues are just annoying:
1. Whooshing in the left ear
2. Microphone randomly setting itself to zero when online with friends (no dials being touched)
3. Getting stuck in a loop of it saying "connected"
4. Battery charge time being much longer than advertised

It's a shame as they have a decent sound for anyone looking for an all in one option for media.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #4,887 of 7,191
Do I understand correctly that it's some hardware "bug"? Because I tried my pair at very low volumes and can't hear any "crackling noises" at all.
I don't think so, the crackles and pops are not on any other headset, and I can't get them to replicate. Rocket league sometimes its when I make a goal, or hit the ball or driving around, but duplicating the action never leads to a reliable crackling or popping sound. Sometimes they happen a couple times a minute, sometimes it might be 10 mins between them.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,888 of 7,191
Hi guys,

Like many others i've registered an account just to talk about the penrose.

I've just recieved my penrose X, put them on for 5 minutes and walked about 8 or so meters away from the dongle and they did the disconnect loop before reconnecting.

Now this to me isn't a problem as i'll seldom walk away from the dongle, i'm a PC user. However upon reconnecting the right ear is making an awful clicking noise if i move my head even when the headset is turned off, like there's a loose component.

Has anyone else experienced this? (Apologies if its been mentioned) Is this an RMA do we think? (EDIT: After searching the posts i've seen one person say this could be the pressure change damaging the planar driver?! I had used them for barely 5 minutes and put them on/off maybe 3 times)

Sound quality is absolutely incredible, i'm upgrading from my planatronics back beat pro 2's. The 5 minutes i had it working i had an absolute grin on my face.

Ok so a follow up to my issue. I’ve just received a pair of penrose and will send my penrose x back.

25 minutes in to using the penrose and so far touch wood no issues.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #4,890 of 7,191
About the microphone. Last night my buddies told me that now my voice couldn't sound any better. It sounds great now. So what has happened? One change I've made has been that I placed the mic far down and side of my mouth. So that is well below my chin. Other thing is that now we used Xbox's own chat party function and not the game's one. Sadly usually we can't because we crossplay. I think this made the biggest change as before when my voice has been good we have always used xbox party function and it has never sounded good in game chat. Xbox party has a lot better voice quality compared to game chat. So maybe the compression in game chat wrecks Penrose X's sound for some reason.

Bad news is that I was running out battery so I plugged in USB C to charge the headphones while using them and I can confirm this isn't possible at the moment. My friends heard hum all the time. But lucky for me the battery didn't run out but this is an issue that is quite bad. I don't have the same problem with my Mobius so it's not just a grounding problem.

I'm still quite happy as I'm also pleased with the sound quality. I don't think these sound so exceptional when I'm playing Call of Duty but these headphones sound just amazing when listening music. Like playing games I feel like these are really good for the 300 euros but there is still room for more expensive headphones to sound even better. But listening music makes me feel like there just can't be that much better headphones that I would pay extra 2 or 3 hundred euros for them. And some just pay extra 1000 euros for headphones.

yes regarding the mic i think its sensitive like if you place it close to your mouth it will cause distortion or something clipping, i have a low deep voice short of hard to explaine, i can easily distort speakers in karaoke bars hahahahahaha
i was used to using my arctis 7 placing the mic really closed to my mouth i even moded its mic to extend further so i can place it really close, and when i switch to penrose that was the cause i sound very muffled on discord , the fix was extending the mic further away to my mouth and pointing the mic up instead to my mouth

for the charging with hum also try a phone usb charger so it wont pick up noise from a pc or laptop or console

i use a old usb phone adapter with a magnetic type c plug so its easy to attach when i need to charge, all my plug i use magnetic cables so i wont wear the connectors

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back