Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #4,906 of 7,191
is your wifi dongle attached to a pc or somehting while using the bluetooth? i dont have any sort of distortion if i only use bluetooth, all my distortion and disconnects are comming from the wifi 2.4GHZ, its its very minimal now like 95% to 98% non existent since i change or played around with the bios settings handshake the lets the os decide witch ports to assigne to the usb's, before it was like disconnecting every 5mins or distorting, im not 100% sure if it was coincedence but im happy now

i still think isa a driver sort of issue with how the wifi 2.4ghz communicates with windows for me

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #4,908 of 7,191
Can you post a picture to help 🙏

This is the specific hub that I'm using https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWF5U0M

I just have the dongle plugged into the last port on the hub and only leave that port's power switch on. I'm not sure that the placement on the hub really matters too much. I just leave the dongle plugged into the hub and swap the hub between my PC and PS5 depending on where I'm using it.

I've also turned off the 2.4Ghz wifi channel on my router, since I don't have any devices that are using that, and that seems to have also helped reduce any rare crackling I was getting.

In making those two changes, on top of the firmware update a month or so ago, my experience with the headset has been almost flawless. I don't really use the mic much, so I can't comment on the quality of that with this setup.

edit: One last addition. The front USB-A port on my PS5 Digital Edition does not seem to like the wireless dongle at all, hub or no hub. It disconnects very frequently when using that port. So I'm using the rear USB port on the PS5, and just have the hub sitting as close to the front of the system as I can.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,909 of 7,191
edit: One last addition. The front USB-A port on my PS5 Digital Edition does not seem to like the wireless dongle at all, hub or no hub. It disconnects very frequently when using that port. So I'm using the rear USB port on the PS5, and just have the hub sitting as close to the front of the system as I can.
Weird. The front port on my PS5 hates the usb stick as well. I'm wondering if it's not able to connect fully or something because it hits the casing? I can only get it to work if I use a usb extension cable on the front port for some reason.

I get frequent disconnections from 7 ft away with clear line of sight on both my Xbox Series X and PS5 though (headset on latest firmware). I'm guessing I lost the usb stick lotto?

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,910 of 7,191
This is the specific hub that I'm using https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWF5U0M

I just have the dongle plugged into the last port on the hub and only leave that port's power switch on. I'm not sure that the placement on the hub really matters too much. I just leave the dongle plugged into the hub and swap the hub between my PC and PS5 depending on where I'm using it.

I've also turned off the 2.4Ghz wifi channel on my router, since I don't have any devices that are using that, and that seems to have also helped reduce any rare crackling I was getting.

In making those two changes, on top of the firmware update a month or so ago, my experience with the headset has been almost flawless. I don't really use the mic much, so I can't comment on the quality of that with this setup.

The Arctis 7x came with an 18” long extension cable for the dongle, so you can place the dongle away from the console/computer. Maybe trying a short usb extension cable will help.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #4,911 of 7,191
help please .. my headset are stuck!
At the beginning Penrose X were connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone .. I decided also to turn on the Xbox which had the usb dongle already connected but wrongly set on the PC option .. as soon as the console was turned on I switched to wireless connection, I heard connected and from that moment nothing worked anymore .. the audio volume can neither be lowered nor raised, the source change button does not work, the led on the headphones is fixed in blue (but there is no Bluetooth connection active) and worst of all they do not turn off anymore !!!!
they don't even turn off automatically .. if i connect them to pc via usb, audezeHQ software doesn't recognize them ..
Please help
is there a combination of keys to turn them off?
@Audeze are they blocked? what should I do? I'm still in the 14 day window to make an unconditional return to my dealer, but I'm bothered by this thing, they are the best headphones I've ever had, only audio quality apparently, software sucks!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #4,912 of 7,191
Weird. The front port on my PS5 hates the usb stick as well. I'm wondering if it's not able to connect fully or something because it hits the casing? I can only get it to work if I use a usb extension cable on the front port for some reason.

I get frequent disconnections from 7 ft away with clear line of sight on both my Xbox Series X and PS5 though (headset on latest firmware). I'm guessing I lost the usb stick lotto?

Have any tear downs indicated where Sony put the WiFi aerial for the Sony or maybe for their controller signalling?

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #4,913 of 7,191
Have any tear downs indicated where Sony put the WiFi aerial for the Sony or maybe for their controller signalling?
Not sure. I don't think the directly plugging it into the front usb is a interference issue though, the little led on the dongle doesn't even light up when I plug it into the front (but it does if I use a usb extension cable)

I'm guessing my connection issues are a different problem. I've tried the extension cable, unplugging other 2.4ghz devices, changing my 2.4ghz channel, making sure I have line of sight, trying different usb ports (including different devices e.g. ps5/xsx/pc) and unless I'm around 2ft away with clear line of sight I get constant popping/"Connecting"

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #4,914 of 7,191
Will Audeze sell individual USB 2.4Ghz dongles for Penrose instead of having to constantly unplug the one USB dongle and plug it into another console/device every single time you want to switch?

I'd rather have 3 separate Dongles plugged into my Switch, PS5 & TV(For Streaming) at all times for sheer convenience and zero dongle swapping. would it be even possible?

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #4,915 of 7,191
Will Audeze sell individual USB 2.4Ghz dongles for Penrose instead of having to constantly unplug the one USB dongle and plug it into another console/device every single time you want to switch?

I'd rather have 3 separate Dongles plugged into my Switch, PS5 & TV(For Streaming) at all times for sheer convenience and zero dongle swapping. would it be even possible?
You'd have to re-sync each time you switch which would probably be more annoying than moving the dongle

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #4,916 of 7,191
help please .. my headset are stuck!
At the beginning Penrose X were connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone .. I decided also to turn on the Xbox which had the usb dongle already connected but wrongly set on the PC option .. as soon as the console was turned on I switched to wireless connection, I heard connected and from that moment nothing worked anymore .. the audio volume can neither be lowered nor raised, the source change button does not work, the led on the headphones is fixed in blue (but there is no Bluetooth connection active) and worst of all they do not turn off anymore !!!!
they don't even turn off automatically .. if i connect them to pc via usb, audezeHQ software doesn't recognize them ..
Please help
is there a combination of keys to turn them off?
@Audeze are they blocked? what should I do? I'm still in the 14 day window to make an unconditional return to my dealer, but I'm bothered by this thing, they are the best headphones I've ever had, only audio quality apparently, software sucks!

There is a combo to force a hard reset but I can't remember it, you would have to do a search in this thread. Otherwise let them die overnight and it will force the reset

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #4,917 of 7,191
Not sure. I don't think the directly plugging it into the front usb is a interference issue though, the little led on the dongle doesn't even light up when I plug it into the front (but it does if I use a usb extension cable)

I'm guessing my connection issues are a different problem. I've tried the extension cable, unplugging other 2.4ghz devices, changing my 2.4ghz channel, making sure I have line of sight, trying different usb ports (including different devices e.g. ps5/xsx/pc) and unless I'm around 2ft away with clear line of sight I get constant popping/"Connecting"

Just a data point: I had no problems with plugging directly into my Ps5 front USB and playing about 10 feet from my TV. Range was about 30 feet or so. No clicking or other issues.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #4,918 of 7,191
Just a data point: I had no problems with plugging directly into my Ps5 front USB and playing about 10 feet from my TV. Range was about 30 feet or so. No clicking or other issues.

Out of curiosity, is yours a Disc or Digital PS5? Just wondering if maybe it’s an issue with the Digital version. I’ve seen other reports of the front port not working correctly for other headset dongles as well. Good to hear it’s not affecting everyone though.

Either way, the USB 2.0 hub workaround works fine for me, and it actually keeps the dongle from sticking out past the front of my entertainment center so it doesn’t accidentally get kicked/broken when walking by or something.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #4,919 of 7,191
Out of curiosity, is yours a Disc or Digital PS5? Just wondering if maybe it’s an issue with the Digital version. I’ve seen other reports of the front port not working correctly for other headset dongles as well. Good to hear it’s not affecting everyone though.

Either way, the USB 2.0 hub workaround works fine for me, and it actually keeps the dongle from sticking out past the front of my entertainment center so it doesn’t accidentally get kicked/broken when walking by or something.

I have the disc version of PS5, no connection issues with dongle in the front USB port. Sitting a bit over two meters away from the console.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #4,920 of 7,191
There is a combo to force a hard reset but I can't remember it, you would have to do a search in this thread. Otherwise let them die overnight and it will force the reset
Thank you! The hard reset works!
The combo for hard reset is by pressing simultaneously:
Volume + mic volume + multi function button for 5-10 seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back