Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #4,610 of 7,191
Made an account just to say that I have this imbalance issue on my pair too. Getting it sent back to my retailer to hopefully get a replacement pair without the issue. I'm certain it was a driver issue as the imbalance (left side louder, right side quieter) flipped when I flipped the headphones.

Edit: My pair also has the issue of playing a sound similar to whistling wind when nothing else is playing. This didn't bother me too much as it was very quiet, but I think it's worth mentioning.

On a more positive note, huge thanks to Hifiheadphones for the quick turn around last week. This was my first time using them and my experience with everything so far has been excellent :relaxed:.

Has anyone with this left/right imbalance issue gotten it fixed by Audeze? I sent mine in for an RMA to address this, but the replacement set had the same issue, where the left driver was slightly louder. I honestly am not sure if they sent a new pair to me or just quickly tested my return, didn’t really hear anything wrong, and gave the same set back. From what I can tell, it is in the same box as the one I sent in, except that the SN sticker was taped over with a new one.

I’m going to try to RMA it a second time and will hopefully get a matched unit this time around. I’m outside of the return window at this point since the RMA took a month to send in and get back.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #4,611 of 7,191
Have used my Penrose for around 16 hours now on the Series X.

People have told me my mic quality is worse now, or that I sound muffled. Sometimes I come through really well though, so it's not all bad and I continue to experiment.

I cannot get AudezeHQ on iphone to recognize the Penrose X via BT. What am I doing wrong?

I like the sound a lot. I am also using DTS with these, so far so good. Played Doom and was impressed by how immersive the soundstage felt, I go tricked into turning my head a couple times lol. I also have had no issues with reception/popping/simultaneous BT use (besides app recognition).

I don't like that you have to push in the volume button to mix audio/chat. It's somewhat difficult and imprecise.

(Somewhat unconventional) Solution for hot ears/heads: cold wet towel around neck.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #4,612 of 7,191
Have used my Penrose for around 16 hours now on the Series X.

People have told me my mic quality is worse now, or that I sound muffled. Sometimes I come through really well though, so it's not all bad and I continue to experiment.

I cannot get AudezeHQ on iphone to recognize the Penrose X via BT. What am I doing wrong?

I like the sound a lot. I am also using DTS with these, so far so good. Played Doom and was impressed by how immersive the soundstage felt, I go tricked into turning my head a couple times lol. I also have had no issues with reception/popping/simultaneous BT use (besides app recognition).

I don't like that you have to push in the volume button to mix audio/chat. It's somewhat difficult and imprecise.

(Somewhat unconventional) Solution for hot ears/heads: cold wet towel around neck.

Audeze HQ app does not support Penrose X on iOS. It is a MFI certification situation that won't be resolved.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #4,613 of 7,191
20210118_232609.jpg

They are now in my taste much better looking headset and so much more comfy. With som eq changes the sound is fine to me.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #4,616 of 7,191
I though I would never come here to complain about the Penrose. I love it.

BUT since I got back to work I have being using the Mic switch on/off more often. the same frequency I am getting in trouble with this thing not switching back on again.

It's freaking me off as I am getting in trouble in important meetings. @Audeze !

EDIT: just to make it clear, when I switch the microphone back on, it keeps OFF and for nothing in this world it turns on, after cycling on/off a bunch of times and removing and reconnecting the wireless dongle it gets back randomly. it does that in 2 different computers and multiple software's and situations so it definitely the Headphone Hardware.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #4,618 of 7,191
Is the battery indicator on the HQ app 'reasonably' accurate?

It's been sitting at 100% for an hour (headset is still connected via USB) yet the charging indicator on the headset is still flashing red.

i think thats the mic volume level? battery indicator is coming in a later update.

edit: don't know why i thought this but i'm wrong

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #4,620 of 7,191
Red LED charging indicator finally stopped flashing two hours after the app indicated 100% charge.

These cans sound great! (Watching Billy Joel live at Shea Stadium on Blu-Ray - great concert BTW). Not feeling the clamping issues that others have been (not a small head by any means - 59).

2.4 connection is solid so far (sitting 4 metres from my PS5) - only drops out if I go into adjoining rooms.

Haven't tested mic yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back