Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #4,591 of 7,191
I’ve rebought a set of these after returning my first pair due to headband comfort in the main.

However, after trying a couple of other wireless sets, while comfort was better, they compromised significantly on audio quality.

The Penrose (and specially with the Eq flexibility) blow the competition away.

I’ve now also improved the headband comfort for me. A combination of some old Dekoni Nuggets (which had lost their stick) and a cheap Amazon headband cover has improved this massively and now prevents a hotspot on the top of my head.

Looks like they will be a keeper now :)
Is that padded enough? Do you have an exact link? Mine looks like that too but it doesn't quite fit (without help) so its less than ideal.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #4,592 of 7,191
Is that padded enough? Do you have an exact link? Mine looks like that too but it doesn't quite fit (without help) so its less than ideal.

The headband is nowhere near padded enough on its own https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KRYHP9V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the Dekoni Nuggets either side of the padded section of the Penrose though it does a good job of spreading the pressure (on my head at least) and removing any pressure points even the Nuggets produce.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #4,593 of 7,191
I’ve now also improved the headband comfort for me.

I also found the nuggets really help with comfort at the top of the head.

But it shifted the discomfort focus to the tightness of the headset clamp, it was starting to give me headaches! And then I tried the advice given here to put it on a pillow to stretch it out. (Except I used a plank of wood that fit against the headset band above the earcups to avoid putting pressure on the fragile earcup connectors)

It is so much better now, I really recommend trying it.

Now, what to do about the heat buildup on the ears...

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #4,594 of 7,191
Just about given up with these for anything other than using on an xbox. Every bloody day I have to spend about 20 minutes plugging the dongle in and turning them on and off and on and off and on and off again to get them connected to my Mac.

@Audeze, please for the love of god, tell me the cheat codes to get this working. I've tried everything, not even up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A and the Start button works anymore. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #4,595 of 7,191
Just about given up with these for anything other than using on an xbox. Every bloody day I have to spend about 20 minutes plugging the dongle in and turning them on and off and on and off and on and off again to get them connected to my Mac.

@Audeze, please for the love of god, tell me the cheat codes to get this working. I've tried everything, not even up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A and the Start button works anymore. Thanks.

In addition to this, the auto power off causes the same issues. Went to grab a sandwich, came back to my desk to watch some YouTube videos with my lunch, but I managed to finish my lunch before I could get these connected again. Why do they disconnect and then take an age to connect again? Should I get the PS dongle which has Mac compatibility? Please, help he here as these stress me out more than any headphones ever should.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #4,596 of 7,191

I gave up for Xbox too.
people can’t hear me, sound is so muffled.
It makes me sad because I really enjoyed the sound of this headset. But it is supposed to be a mic too.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #4,597 of 7,191
For those having connection issues, would wiring the headset into the ps5/xbox controller compromise the sound? I've had mediocre headphones all my life, so I am prioritizing sound in my next pair. I'd like to try the Penrose to see how they sound, but if I run into wireless issues, I would like to confirm the sound is still excellent if I plug them into the controller.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,598 of 7,191
In addition to this, the auto power off causes the same issues. Went to grab a sandwich, came back to my desk to watch some YouTube videos with my lunch, but I managed to finish my lunch before I could get these connected again. Why do they disconnect and then take an age to connect again? Should I get the PS dongle which has Mac compatibility? Please, help he here as these stress me out more than any headphones ever should.

Well I have the PS dongle and have the same connection issues to my MacBook Pro, and I have 4 different USB-C to A adapters to try with. And it doesn't happen with my Windows laptop sitting 20cm next to it! It really feels like there is some incompatibility with macOS. I have given up on using it with Mac which is disappointing for a headset of this price.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #4,601 of 7,191
I gave up for Xbox too.
people can’t hear me, sound is so muffled.
It makes me sad because I really enjoyed the sound of this headset. But it is supposed to be a mic too.
first the sound was also muffled when using discord, then i move the mic away (was used to mic very close to my mouth) and my friends says its clearer if i move i back close to my mouth they say its very muffled

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4,603 of 7,191
For those having connection issues, would wiring the headset into the ps5/xbox controller compromise the sound? I've had mediocre headphones all my life, so I am prioritizing sound in my next pair. I'd like to try the Penrose to see how they sound, but if I run into wireless issues, I would like to confirm the sound is still excellent if I plug them into the controller.

The controller will be using compressed Bluetooth audio with the headset plugged in, compared to the dongle’s lossless signal. That being said, I’ve used them both ways, and while there is a little bit of a difference, wired to the controller still sounds great on the Penrose.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #4,604 of 7,191
Well I have the PS dongle and have the same connection issues to my MacBook Pro, and I have 4 different USB-C to A adapters to try with. And it doesn't happen with my Windows laptop sitting 20cm next to it! It really feels like there is some incompatibility with macOS. I have given up on using it with Mac which is disappointing for a headset of this price.

Okay I think I have a solution. I've tested this twice this afternoon and both times I got it to connect. I plug in the dongle, turn on the headset and wait for it to connect to the dongle. If the Penrose are not showing in the sound output from the top menu, go into system preferences > sound > toggle 'output' and 'input' and they then for some reason they connect.

I've tried this a couple of times today when breaking for coffee and coming back to them being disconnected and it has worked. Give it a go and let me know if it also works for you. I don't know if going into sound preferences forces the Mac to look for other viable output options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back