Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 19, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #4,621 of 7,191
Watched it back earlier - hope I've copied it down right!

32 -2
64 0
125 -3
250 -4
500 -2
1k -4
2k -3
4k -3
6k -2
16k -1

I used these last night and I prefer them (marginally) to the footsteps EQ in warzone. But I did increase them all by 1db, else it lowers the volume making a direct comparison to the footsteps EQ a little trickier.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #4,622 of 7,191
Carrying case arrived today.

au2.jpg
au1.jpg

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #4,624 of 7,191
Ok I’m using Mobius but I just wanted to add I use an amp connected to my tv and don’t use the mic on Mobius at all. I receive the sound from tv optical and I use a mini microphone plugged into my controller (cause wired to headset mic doesn’t work via tv ) so far it worked out quite well for competitive gaming. Another thing is you can get a Bluetooth transmitter which you connect to the tv via optical. The device transmits the codec as LDAC and the headphones receive the audio via Bluetooth. The device I use for that is fiio bta 30 but of course it’s not lossless although the latency is unnoticeable for me. Same with the microphone as competitive. The only downside is you can only adjust the mic settings through Xbox sx chat mixer which I can live with.

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #4,625 of 7,191
How long is the firmware update supposed to last? I've been stuck at this point over 15 minutes.
Is it safe to unplug the headphones and try again?

1611059673675.png

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #4,627 of 7,191
When did this firmware update release?

I received the Penrose today. FW version of the update is 0.1.5.

After awhile I unplugged the headphones and force closed the Audeze HQ.
Now the Penrose firmware shows up as 0.1.5 in the HQ. I guess the update worked after all.

I'll give the Penrose a go later today on PS5.

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #4,629 of 7,191
Okay I think I have a solution. I've tested this twice this afternoon and both times I got it to connect. I plug in the dongle, turn on the headset and wait for it to connect to the dongle. If the Penrose are not showing in the sound output from the top menu, go into system preferences > sound > toggle 'output' and 'input' and they then for some reason they connect.

I've tried this a couple of times today when breaking for coffee and coming back to them being disconnected and it has worked. Give it a go and let me know if it also works for you. I don't know if going into sound preferences forces the Mac to look for other viable output options.

Nope, this isn't the solution. It seems to be something to do with the automatic power down solution. This is so bad. Another 20 minutes wasted trying to connect to my MacBook and no joy. @Audeze please can you advise on this as the big selling point of these wireless headphones, is that they work wirelessly. But they do not. When they power themselves down they struggle to connect again. 20 minutes now I'm turning them off and on again in many combinations, taking the dongle out, switching to xbox and pc, turning the headphones on and off again, switching input mode. Nothing is working. It's driving me mad!

edit. it's now 30 minutes since I last managed to connect these.

edit 2: 38 minutes to get them to connect again. I've raised a support ticket to find out if I can return these if this is the intended behaviour.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #4,630 of 7,191
I though I would never come here to complain about the Penrose. I love it.

BUT since I got back to work I have being using the Mic switch on/off more often. the same frequency I am getting in trouble with this thing not switching back on again.

It's freaking me off as I am getting in trouble in important meetings. @Audeze !

EDIT: just to make it clear, when I switch the microphone back on, it keeps OFF and for nothing in this world it turns on, after cycling on/off a bunch of times and removing and reconnecting the wireless dongle it gets back randomly. it does that in 2 different computers and multiple software's and situations so it definitely the Headphone Hardware.

Interesting. I use the toggle switch quite a bit and have not ever ran in to this.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #4,634 of 7,191
My pair has the "wind" noise on the left earcup. It was appearing randomly but it wasn't very frequent and it was only audible for a few seconds so it didn't bother me, but since yesterday it became worse and now I can hear it very frequently and for minutes. Did @Audeze say something about if there are any plans of fixing this through firmware or do I have to RMA it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back