Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 17, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #4,576 of 7,191
Would be good if Audeze start cooperate with one of the companies which have an experiance with building gamers headphones, just to put Audeze's sound into proper, RELIABLE Solution desired by and for gamers instead of cheap, chinese piece of poo which now makes this headphones 100% junk.

Pretty sure they are all made in China lol

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #4,577 of 7,191
In the case of the Penrose X and Series X, the Series X controller is the culprit. As soon as I switched to an Elite 2 the wireless was excellent. My PC is a few feet away from the Xbox and I was able to also use the bluetooth on PC and 2.4gz on Xbox at the same time with no issues at all. I've no idea how Microsoft is getting away with their controller issue. I imagine it's because hardly anyone has a console, add needing to have a wireless headset to that and you've suddenly got very few in the current customer base.

Nope because it’s not an issue for me on any controller I use and I have a series x and elite 2 and use these on pc and Xbox. If it was a controller problem it would affect everyone. In fact you are the only one I’ve seen blame the controller. Nearly everyone else has found a solution (and didn’t have to change controllers). Usually it involves moving closer to the dongle so interference isn’t an issue any longer. For others who can’t use that solution they have sought returns or other potential solutions.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #4,578 of 7,191
I feel this headset is not really ideal for fps game anyone also feel the same? I think if you are playing rpg like final fantasy type game then this headset sound is amazing. If you are in competitive fps probably you need to look for another headset.

Btw I am commenting base as an average gamer point of view

If you are referring to hearing “footsteps” I think that you would hate every headset that is of any quality. In a game like CoD(popular example) the audio is so terribly mixed and overly loud it drowns out any fine detail in the audio. You have to use a custom EQ to turn up or down specific frequencies to even begin to pick out small details like that. A headset that highlights these frequencies is not going to have a neutral soundstage and quite honestly would sound terrible from the beginning. I much prefer a more audiophile sound and to be able to adjust the EQ if I choose. These are the cleanest sounding wireless headset out there and I have no problem playing FPS games with them. I guess blaming the audio is the new “server lag” complaint these days.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #4,579 of 7,191
I feel this headset is not really ideal for fps game anyone also feel the same? I think if you are playing rpg like final fantasy type game then this headset sound is amazing. If you are in competitive fps probably you need to look for another headset.

Audeze were streamingon Twitch a day or two ago and were making some EQs live for a couple of games. Might be worth a watch as they did one for Warzone which might help with your fps games.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #4,580 of 7,191
Nope because it’s not an issue for me on any controller I use and I have a series x and elite 2 and use these on pc and Xbox. If it was a controller problem it would affect everyone. In fact you are the only one I’ve seen blame the controller. Nearly everyone else has found a solution (and didn’t have to change controllers). Usually it involves moving closer to the dongle so interference isn’t an issue any longer. For others who can’t use that solution they have sought returns or other potential solutions.
I'm 3 feet from the dongle with clear line of sight. My friend had exactly the same issue with the new Turtle Beach 700.

This is not isolated to me, although this article claims the issue is fixed. A quick internet search results in more recent articles with Microsoft acknowledging issues and pledging to fix them somehow. So clearly not my imagination:
https://byteside.com/2020/11/xbox-series-x-s-wireless-headset-problems-are-not-just-you/

Interestingly you don't have the issue, which must point to either a certain batch of controllers being the culprit, or a certain percentage of random controllers. Are you using party chat at all? The interference isn't with game audio which stays solidly connected, it's purely the party chat, both sending and receiving.

As you mention, some people have returned their Penrose X, thinking the headset is the issue when it might just be the controller. But I'll be contacting Microsoft today for a replacement. We'll see whether the issue persists.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #4,581 of 7,191

You're half right. Ignore that comment by another user about disliking any quality headset. There's a large number of audiophile headphones that are superb for fps, and hardly cheap. Many off the shelf gaming headsets are either tuned for that, or have a preset equalised profile. But the attributes of the headset/headphone itself are also a factor.

Traditionally open back headphones are often preferred for fps due to the larger soundstage and clearer imaging they offer. But of course you'll never see them used in an arena with spectators, or the crowd would drown out the game for the players. So closed back are used to keep out background noise.

But the Penrose actually has ok soundstage for a closed back, and the clarity of planar tech is a real bonus. So there's absolutely potential for them to be good for fps if equalised.

Can I ask what you're using your Penrose with?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #4,582 of 7,191
Hi there, I wanted to stream a bit for fun from my xbox series x. I have been playing around with lightstream and streamlabs and have set up some fun overlays and alerts. I really enjoyed learning and playing around. But I have a problem with audio sync with my penrose x. Gamesound on stream is on point but If I clap to test my mic the sound on stream is half a second late. Any tips?

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #4,583 of 7,191
Can we expect a new firmware soon for penrose x ?
I’m really disappointed with mine now :
Mic is awfull on Xbox one x and on IPhone, people can barely hear me.
sound is great, but since yesterday, there is a lot of crackling when I listen to music on PC, on sound is now muffled too.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #4,589 of 7,191
What sound settings do you set in the game?

I kind of experiment from time to time with this but usually end up going Boost or Boost High - find most of the others over emphasise the bass (although I haven't tried the Flat/Studio? setting much yet). I also lower the music volume (a lot) and the voiceover (a little) in the audio settings.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #4,590 of 7,191
I’ve rebought a set of these after returning my first pair due to headband comfort in the main.

However, after trying a couple of other wireless sets, while comfort was better, they compromised significantly on audio quality.

The Penrose (and specially with the Eq flexibility) blow the competition away.

I’ve now also improved the headband comfort for me. A combination of some old Dekoni Nuggets (which had lost their stick) and a cheap Amazon headband cover has improved this massively and now prevents a hotspot on the top of my head.

Looks like they will be a keeper now :)

Attachments

• C27FEDB5-2DB5-4F57-B6ED-09F258407E95.jpeg
    C27FEDB5-2DB5-4F57-B6ED-09F258407E95.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back