Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #4,562 of 7,191
Mine doesn't have this issue but I've seen comments on here about this issue so you're not alone. Clearly, Quality control is an issue.
Is anyone *not* hearing an intermittent wooshing or windy sound on their Penrose? It's audible when quiet music or nothing is playing, perhaps 20% of the time. And it's mainly on the left earcup, so it's rather annoying especially for a headset at this price.

After some back/forth with Audeze support, their last message suggests nothing more can be done (i.e. no firmware fixes) and I'd have to RMA it and hope the replacement headset won't have the same problem.

I ask because I wonder if I was just unlucky and received a bad headset.

I have also noticed this 'whistling wind' sound on occasion and had the same response from Audeze. I was not going to bother sending them back as I'm quite happy with them but something seems to have broken loose inside the right earcup. It makes a 'thunk' sound when it shifts around, typically when I pick them up and when I walk around the house. Maybe the battery is on the right side and it wasn't secured when it was assembled? It doesn't effect the functioning in any way I can discern but I figure it can't hurt to have them take a look and glue whatever came loose back into place.

Overall: listening experience is excellent, PS5 games sound amazing and music is amazing too, no wireless issues. I'll let everyone know if they replicate the wind noise and figure out what is causing it. Sounds like its only affecting a subset of the community in these early units. I'm sticking with this headset because it has improved my music and game listening experience so much that now I'm spoiled and don't want to go back to my old headphones.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #4,563 of 7,191
Would be good if Audeze start cooperate with one of the companies which have an experiance with building gamers headphones, just to put Audeze's sound into proper, RELIABLE Solution desired by and for gamers instead of cheap, chinese piece of poo which now makes this headphones 100% junk.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #4,564 of 7,191
Would be good if Audeze start cooperate with one of the companies which have an experiance with building gamers headphones, just to put Audeze's sound into proper, RELIABLE Solution desired by and for gamers instead of cheap, chinese piece of poo which now makes this headphones 100% junk.
Do you know the Hyper X Orbit is based on Audeze Mobius? Unless you are talking about the green snake company.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #4,566 of 7,191
Yes, I know. They (Audeze) should choose this path also with Penroses.

I think what they are saying is HyperX considered Audeze's tech/design to be good enough to just rebrand as their product - it wasn't Audeze taking HyperX tech :wink: In which case @Audeze do have sufficient experience in this space. Look at any wireless gaming headset - always reports of connection issues - its just part of the pain of going wireless I guess and we only hear from the ones with problems.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #4,567 of 7,191
I think what they are saying is HyperX considered Audeze's tech/design to be good enough to just rebrand as their product - it wasn't Audeze taking HyperX tech :wink: In which case @Audeze do have sufficient experience in this space. Look at any wireless gaming headset - always reports of connection issues - its just part of the pain of going wireless I guess and we only hear from the ones with problems.
In the case of the Penrose X and Series X, the Series X controller is the culprit. As soon as I switched to an Elite 2 the wireless was excellent. My PC is a few feet away from the Xbox and I was able to also use the bluetooth on PC and 2.4gz on Xbox at the same time with no issues at all. I've no idea how Microsoft is getting away with their controller issue. I imagine it's because hardly anyone has a console, add needing to have a wireless headset to that and you've suddenly got very few in the current customer base.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,568 of 7,191
Depending from where one comes from the reference may be different. Totally understandable. But you explained what I meant as I meant. Thanks. :)

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #4,569 of 7,191
I feel this headset is not really ideal for fps game anyone also feel the same? I think if you are playing rpg like final fantasy type game then this headset sound is amazing. If you are in competitive fps probably you need to look for another headset.

Btw I am commenting base as an average gamer point of view

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #4,573 of 7,191
In the case of the Penrose X and Series X, the Series X controller is the culprit. As soon as I switched to an Elite 2 the wireless was excellent. My PC is a few feet away from the Xbox and I was able to also use the bluetooth on PC and 2.4gz on Xbox at the same time with no issues at all. I've no idea how Microsoft is getting away with their controller issue. I imagine it's because hardly anyone has a console, add needing to have a wireless headset to that and you've suddenly got very few in the current customer base.

Could you also test the sound quality via 3.5 mm jack connection between series x and elite 2 controller. Did you realize any significant difference ?

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #4,574 of 7,191
Could you also test the sound quality via 3.5 mm jack connection between series x and elite 2 controller. Did you realize any significant difference ?
I'll have a go but I don't think there'll be any benefit on the Xbox, as the 2.4ghz dongle will offer more bandwidth for audio data than the wireless controller. Wired in to the PC/DAC directly would offer some small benefit I imagine.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #4,575 of 7,191
Sorry just realised you wanted me to compare the audio between the two controllers. I did that previously, didn't notice a difference between them wired in terms of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back