Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 11, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #4,458 of 7,196
I’ve been trying different presets and keep finding myself going back to the default. It’s a bit fatiguing but I still really enjoy the default sound signature.

Oddly I also like the one that was something like Pop take the edge off.

I thought I’d enjoy the warmer presets because I enjoy listening to the warm/dark porta pros but something didn’t sound right to me

what presets are you guys using?

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #4,459 of 7,196
I’ve been trying different presets and keep finding myself going back to the default. It’s a bit fatiguing but I still really enjoy the default sound signature.

I thought I’d enjoy the warmer presets because I enjoy listening to the warm/dark porta pros but something didn’t sound right to me

I just use the headset in its default neutral state. I don’t EQ them. The sound is clean and I don’t have any issue with fatigue or harshness personally.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #4,460 of 7,196

No EQ. Tried the Footsteps yesterday and that one will be uniquely for FTS games. It's horrible with cinematic games.

Flat and no EQ is the best of all trades for me.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #4,462 of 7,196
@Audeze please, please, please change the timeout for when these things disconnect. Every single time I pause my music to go make a cup of tea I come back to my desk with these things disconnected from my Mac and I have to go through about 10 (I'm not joking here!) power cycles to get them to finally connect back up to my Mac.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 11.51.57.jpg

I love the sound and comfort of these, but I'm about one more disconnect away from just switching back to my old headphones because I cannot be bothered wasting 10 minutes trying to get these to connect to my Mac again. Why do they disconnect so quickly and easily whenever I stop playing music? And how on earth do you get them to connect again quickly without turning them off and on again several times?

Any help here would be massively appreciated.

Edit: I've lost count of the number of times I've taken the dongle out and put it back in again, turned the headphones off and on again and tried changing the source just to connect to my Mac, but right now, I cannot get them to connect agin at all. I've spent 20 minutes now trying to get my Mac to recognise these again, but I cannot. So please, tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I sort this out, thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #4,464 of 7,196
@Audeze what is expected turnaround time for support issues? I have been waiting a week for a response on my headset having extreme metallic crinkling in the right ear ever since I received them. Support has not been helpful at all to this point.

I have the same but on my left earcup and haven't heard from support for about a week either...

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #4,467 of 7,196
I just had a pair of Penrose X arrive here in the UK from Scan. First impressions... meh. I've used countless gaming headsets over the years and realised after lots of wasted money, that a decent pair of audio headphones and separate mic really are the way to go. But I'm sure everyone has heard that before so I'm sorry if I sound preachy. But the Penrose were getting such good reviews on sound that I felt I had to try them.

In terms of audio quality, yes they're decent, but decent for a gaming headset, not decent for a £300 headphone. They're better than some cheaper stock (not modded) Fostex planar headphones, but not as good as many dynamic driver headphones of similar price. Wireless is of course handy, and if that is ultimately your preferred choice of connection then these are a good option, but having just tested the Hyperx Cloud Orbit (for Xbox), I can't say the Penrose is justified in being twice the price.

IF you're looking for a closed back headphone that you're happy to hook up to your Xbox controller (so you don't need wireless), then get a Sony WH-1000X M3 and a V-Moda Boom Mic Pro. The Sony has comparable sound (I prefer the Sony sound signature), is much lighter, is far more comfortable, has better battery life, has actual noise cancelling, takes less time to charge and doesn't have the same highs (which can be a bit ear piercing on the Penrose), best of all it costs two thirds the price, and is far more functional for everyday use.

OR if you're just looking for a good headphone and mic combo, get a Fidelio X2HR and the V-Moda Boom Mic Pro for half the price. Open backed so you get a lovely spacious sound (but others will hear it), is more comfortable, is more fun to listen to music with, and for the headphone AND mic is half the price of the Penrose! The X2HR is always my go to recommendation for a gaming headphone.

I'll probably keep these Penrose for now, I'll see if they grow on me. But having gained a terribly expensive headphone addiction over the years (and having now owned many pairs), I can safely say, these are too expensive for the performance. They're too heavy, they're not as comfortable as they should be, they look like something that costs a third of the price, the charging time is poor, the battery life is mediocre, and the sound is very average for their price point. If they were £200, I'd still recommend either of the above two over these (if you don't need wireless). If wireless is your only option, then try some cheaper pairs along with these. See if you can justify the price difference when they're side by side with some others.

For anyone that loves these, then I'm very happy for you. Taste in headphones is very individual and we all have our own preferences.

*** EDIT***

Oh wow, just trying bluetooth with my phone right next to me. I've heard "Connected" around 20 times in just one song! Sort your crap out Audeze.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #4,468 of 7,196
I just had a pair of Penrose X arrive here in the UK from Scan. First impressions... meh. I've used countless gaming headsets over the years and realised after lots of wasted money, that a decent pair of audio headphones and separate mic really are the way to go. But I'm sure everyone has heard that before so I'm sorry if I sound preachy. But the Penrose were getting such good reviews on sound that I felt I had to try them.

In terms of audio quality, yes they're decent, but decent for a gaming headset, not decent for a £300 headphone. They're better than some cheaper stock (not modded) Fostex planar headphones, but not as good as many dynamic driver headphones of similar price. Wireless is of course handy, and if that is ultimately your preferred choice of connection then these are a good option, but having just tested the Hyperx Cloud Orbit (for Xbox), I can't say the Penrose is justified in being twice the price.

IF you're looking for a closed back headphone that you're happy to hook up to your Xbox controller (so you don't need wireless), then get a Sony WH-1000X M3 and a V-Moda Boom Mic Pro. The Sony has comparable sound (I prefer the Sony sound signature), is much lighter, is far more comfortable, has better battery life, has actual noise cancelling, takes less time to charge and doesn't have the same highs (which can be a bit ear piercing on the Penrose), best of all it costs two thirds the price, and is far more functional for everyday use.

OR if you're just looking for a good headphone and mic combo, get a Fidelio X2HR and the V-Moda Boom Mic Pro for half the price. Open backed so you get a lovely spacious sound (but others will hear it), is more comfortable, is more fun to listen to music with, and for the headphone AND mic is half the price of the Penrose! The X2HR is always my go to recommendation for a gaming headphone.

I'll probably keep these Penrose for now, I'll see if they grow on me. But having gained a terribly expensive headphone addiction over the years (and having now owned many pairs), I can safely say, these are too expensive for the performance. They're too heavy, they're not as comfortable as they should be, they look like something that costs a third of the price, the charging time is poor, the battery life is mediocre, and the sound is very average for their price point. If they were £200, I'd still recommend either of the above two over these (if you don't need wireless). If wireless is your only option, then try some cheaper pairs along with these. See if you can justify the price difference when they're side by side with some others.

For anyone that loves these, then I'm very happy for you. Taste in headphones is very individual and we all have our own preferences.

*** EDIT***

Oh wow, just trying bluetooth with my phone right next to me. I've heard "Connected" around 20 times in just one song! Sort your crap out Audeze.

I've realized that if I leave my dongle plugged in and my console off, the light on the receiver blinks on and off and the connected message continually plays. Try unplugging the dongle and seeing if the connected message goes away on bluetooth. It's mediocre and the only way I've found to stop it unless there's an option on the series X to disable usb power with the system on standby. I doubt this however as most people would leave their controller plugged in to charge which is why this is enabled.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #4,469 of 7,196
I've realized that if I leave my dongle plugged in and my console off, the light on the receiver blinks on and off and the connected message continually plays. Try unplugging the dongle and seeing if the connected message goes away on bluetooth. It's mediocre and the only way I've found to stop it unless there's an option on the series X to disable usb power with the system on standby. I doubt this however as most people would leave their controller plugged in to charge which is why this is enabled.
Thanks I'll give that a go. I think 'Standby' on the Series X allows you to download but also keeps USB active. I will have go at disabling it though. You're right about the mediocre part, in fact it's pretty unacceptable from a "high end" product. ever feel like you're being used as a tester for a product?

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #4,470 of 7,196
I have "wind noise" constant on right side, so etimes it makes an old modem sound - insanely annoying.. Mine gets exchanged at the store, audeze support wasnt much help (they kinda copy pasted the manual)

Mines more of a crinkle which I read is a common issue with these planar drivers. The right cup is bearable but the left has been getting progressively worse and is unbearable now.

I bought it from direct from Audeze or I would have swapped at the store. Guess I'm stuck waiting for their response. It's been weeks since I've had these and can say the overall experience with the product and the support staff has not been pleasant. It's frustrating as I had such high expectations for the company as a whole and I don't seem to be getting positive vibes from anything Audeze thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back