Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 12, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #4,488 of 7,196
And that's great, this is what audio enjoyment is all about, what works for me is different to what works for you. The goal for all of us is finding something we love. I find the Sony more enjoyable as the sound signature is fuller and more exciting. The Penrose has more imaging and detail, but also seems quite flat in areas. I find the Penrose decent, but it's not great to my ears. Do you still have your Sony's? If so try one on and then the other. The Sony is so comfortable compared, and so light. I'd be really interested to hear your opinion side by side.

Yes indeed.

Just tried A/B-ing as you suggested. The sonys are significantly lighter, and more comfortable, but I don't fine the penrose uncomfortable.

Sound wise to me the sonys almost sound muffled compared to the penrose. Much muddier. I find the penrose more dynamic, with wider soundstage which gives me a more exciting sense of scale in game, and much clearer detail. When I hit a sub-bass effect the penrose wows me, the sony is unremarkable. If anything I find the sonys quite flat. Personal preference and all that, but to my ears I enjoy the penrose sound substantially more, its not even close. Good call A/Bing though.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #4,489 of 7,196
Yes indeed.

Just tried A/B-ing as you suggested. The sonys are significantly lighter, and more comfortable, but I don't fine the penrose uncomfortable.

Sound wise to me the sonys almost sound muffled compared to the penrose. Much muddier. I find the penrose more dynamic, with wider soundstage which gives me a more exciting sense of scale in game, and much clearer detail. When I hit a sub-bass effect the penrose wows me, the sony is unremarkable. If anything I find the sonys quite flat. Personal preference and all that, but to my ears I enjoy the penrose sound substantially more, its not even close. Good call A/Bing though.

Also, the Sony are plugged into the controller and if you're testing the Penrose through the wireless dongle, then you're dealing with a more compressed bluetooth audio through the controller and lossless through the wireless dongle. You're getting more benefits of clearer, uncompressed audio with the Penrose in wireless mode. Hope that makes sense.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #4,490 of 7,196
Same, metallic crinkle for me. They say it is common and normal for a slight crinkle but this is a constant heavy and loud crinkle anytime I slightly adjust. I can't see this being "normal" for a new pair.

Would love @Audeze to chime in on this and maybe provide some help. Agree on all your frustrations. Very disappointing from a support perspective given the price of the product and how long we invested the money into these.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, support should get back to you within 1-4 business days, however we are experiencing a huge volume of tickets due to the holidays, so we apologize if things get a little behind. Also please wait for a response first before sending a follow up email, unfortunately our email client Zendesk bumps you to the bottom of the queue when you email again on the same ticket, but this ends up showing up at the end of the queue and usually only ensures that your response time will be slower. I used to work support for another really popular audio company and we had this same issue with zendesk. It's frustrating, I know, but please wait for a response first, it'll make everything quicker.

Regarding wireless dropout and connection issues, modems, walls, etc. in the environment have some effect on this so do try assessing those first. We're having issues replicating this, however we are also doing more extensive wireless testing and speaking with our vendors regarding this and will let you know what we find. In the meantime don't stress about return windows, just let support know you're having these issues and we'll work with you to solve them. We don't intend to leave anyone high and dry with a headset that isn't working as advertised.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 12, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #4,492 of 7,196
As mentioned earlier in the thread, support should get back to you within 1-4 business days, however we are experiencing a huge volume of tickets due to the holidays, so we apologize if things get a little behind. Also please wait for a response first before sending a follow up email, unfortunately our email client Zendesk bumps you to the bottom of the queue when you email again on the same ticket, but this ends up showing up at the end of the queue and usually only ensures that your response time will be slower. I used to work support for another really popular audio company and we had this same issue with zendesk. It's frustrating, I know, but please wait for a response first, it'll make everything quicker.

Regarding wireless dropout and connection issues, modems, walls, etc. in the environment have some effect on this so do try assessing those first. We're having issues replicating this, however we are also doing more extensive wireless testing and speaking with our vendors regarding this and will let you know what we find. In the meantime don't stress about return windows, just let support know you're having these issues and we'll work with you to solve them. We don't intend to leave anyone high and dry with a headset that isn't working as advertised.

Thank you for the clarification with the return window. I will be diligently waiting. As you can imagine, most of us are just restless with getting some of these issues resolved and its tough to wait any longer as some of us have been waiting for months to get our hands on these only to have to wait again to fully enjoy them.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #4,493 of 7,196
I'm all over a suede pair. After spending some time with them, do you find them an improvement over stock, either in terms of comfort or sound?

Comfort is infinitely better. They are softer and way more breathable. While my ears still get warm, they don't get hot. Sound wise I definitely lost some bass and had to EQ it up. It also increased the treble presence.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #4,494 of 7,196
@Audeze @AudezeGrover My Penrose X arrived on 12/19 with a bricked dongle. No device I own even recognizes it as a usb device. I first contacted support on 12/20 about it. I've both called and emailed with support multiple times since then, and each time I have been told I would get a dongle sent out within 2-3 days. It's been 22 days since I was first told to wait 2-3 days and I do not have a replacement dongle or even a notification that one has shipped. I tried to be patient with the holidays but at this point I've had a useless pair of headphones for nearly a month. Can you please look into this or let me know what to do?

Calling and emailing support is not getting me anywhere and I'm about to just give up and return them.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #4,495 of 7,196
Also, the Sony are plugged into the controller and if you're testing the Penrose through the wireless dongle, then you're dealing with a more compressed bluetooth audio through the controller and lossless through the wireless dongle. You're getting more benefits of clearer, uncompressed audio with the Penrose in wireless mode. Hope that makes sense.

Absolutely, well aware this will be part of the equation.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,497 of 7,196
@Audeze please, please, please change the timeout for when these things disconnect. Every single time I pause my music to go make a cup of tea I come back to my desk with these things disconnected from my Mac and I have to go through about 10 (I'm not joking here!) power cycles to get them to finally connect back up to my Mac.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 11.51.57.jpg

I love the sound and comfort of these, but I'm about one more disconnect away from just switching back to my old headphones because I cannot be bothered wasting 10 minutes trying to get these to connect to my Mac again. Why do they disconnect so quickly and easily whenever I stop playing music? And how on earth do you get them to connect again quickly without turning them off and on again several times?

Any help here would be massively appreciated.

Edit: I've lost count of the number of times I've taken the dongle out and put it back in again, turned the headphones off and on again and tried changing the source just to connect to my Mac, but right now, I cannot get them to connect agin at all. I've spent 20 minutes now trying to get my Mac to recognise these again, but I cannot. So please, tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I sort this out, thanks.
For the time being couldn't you just keep the music playing and rewind a couple songs? AShoudnt be that way but I'd rather deal with that than the reconnect problems hopefully temporarily.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #4,499 of 7,196
Is anyone *not* hearing an intermittent wooshing or windy sound on their Penrose? It's audible when quiet music or nothing is playing, perhaps 20% of the time. And it's mainly on the left earcup, so it's rather annoying especially for a headset at this price.

After some back/forth with Audeze support, their last message suggests nothing more can be done (i.e. no firmware fixes) and I'd have to RMA it and hope the replacement headset won't have the same problem.

I ask because I wonder if I was just unlucky and received a bad headset.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #4,500 of 7,196
Just posting a recent experience I had regarding unresponsiveness.

Connected to PC wirelessly. Then I connect from phone via bluetooth to adjust EQ on the fly. This works as expected. Sound continues to come from PC. Then I reboot my phone and the headset stays in the bluetooth connected state (indicated by the blue LED). At the end of my gaming session, I could not power the headset off AT ALL. I held the button in for 30 seconds, nothing. Remained blue. All the while, it was still connected to the PC and able to output audio. Reboot the PC, it reconnects to the PC and plays audio, but again I am unable to power it down. I CANNOT reconnect to bluetooth in this state, either.

The only solution was to let the headset sit idle (all night) to try and kill the battery so it would turn itself off. Overnight it did not fully drain, so I had to wait till that evening before it was fully dead. At that point, I was able to charge the headset and it has continued to work normally.

Annoying, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back