Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 13, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #4,502 of 7,191
Is anyone *not* hearing an intermittent wooshing or windy sound on their Penrose? It's audible when quiet music or nothing is playing, perhaps 20% of the time. And it's mainly on the left earcup, so it's rather annoying especially for a headset at this price.

After some back/forth with Audeze support, their last message suggests nothing more can be done (i.e. no firmware fixes) and I'd have to RMA it and hope the replacement headset won't have the same problem.

I ask because I wonder if I was just unlucky and received a bad headset.

Same thing happens on mine. Also probably about 20% of the time.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #4,504 of 7,191
Comfort is infinitely better. They are softer and way more breathable. While my ears still get warm, they don't get hot. Sound wise I definitely lost some bass and had to EQ it up. It also increased the treble presence.

I have been waiting so long for someone to get these and review them. I had 2 questions for these, do they increase soundstage at all and is imaging better/worst/same? Would really appreciate it if ya let me know! Thanks!!

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #4,505 of 7,191
Is anyone *not* hearing an intermittent wooshing or windy sound on their Penrose? It's audible when quiet music or nothing is playing, perhaps 20% of the time. And it's mainly on the left earcup, so it's rather annoying especially for a headset at this price.

After some back/forth with Audeze support, their last message suggests nothing more can be done (i.e. no firmware fixes) and I'd have to RMA it and hope the replacement headset won't have the same problem.

Hi everyone, same problem with mine. I suppose nothing can be done ? Software won't solve it ? And it seems it's a conception problem that I wont avoid changing my headphone for another Penrose X ? or even for another bluetooth headphone no matter the brand ?

Ty for your advices and sorry for my bad english.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #4,506 of 7,191

Hi, mine (Penrose on PS5) was quiet but maybe I am doing something wrong?
What is the best way to test this? Is the mic on/off? Is sidetone on/off? Is there an active connection to console or phone? Is the connectiontype wireless or bt?

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #4,507 of 7,191
What is the best way to test this? Is the mic on/off? Is sidetone on/off? Is there an active connection to console or phone? Is the connectiontype wireless or bt?

I have had it with the mic switched to mute, sidetone on (but disabled since mic is muted), and connected by wireless to either a PC laptop or MacBook Pro. I've not tried to use with a console. Had it today while I was watching some Youtube videos.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #4,508 of 7,191

I also hear this when I'm on a meeting and hate it. Audeze also told me to send them back so they can test it but it would take a while to do this.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #4,509 of 7,191
I also hear this when I'm on a meeting and hate it. Audeze also told me to send them back so they can test it but it would take a while to do this.
I've heard the whooshing sound 1 time when I was sitting on the dashboard with nothing playing. But 9/10 times I always have something playing, so if it is happening more frequently I don't hear it. I've had these now for 3 weeks and have only heard it the 1 time.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #4,510 of 7,191

Same here, also on the left side.

Its always super noticeable to me when I turn on the headset and then fire up my console. Also running wireless, with mic muted. Once you load into your dashboard, you will start to hear it. I dont use the quick start or ready on feature, so its a normal boot.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #4,511 of 7,191
As mentioned earlier in the thread, support should get back to you within 1-4 business days, however we are experiencing a huge volume of tickets due to the holidays, so we apologize if things get a little behind. Also please wait for a response first before sending a follow up email, unfortunately our email client Zendesk bumps you to the bottom of the queue when you email again on the same ticket, but this ends up showing up at the end of the queue and usually only ensures that your response time will be slower. I used to work support for another really popular audio company and we had this same issue with zendesk. It's frustrating, I know, but please wait for a response first, it'll make everything quicker.

Regarding wireless dropout and connection issues, modems, walls, etc. in the environment have some effect on this so do try assessing those first. We're having issues replicating this, however we are also doing more extensive wireless testing and speaking with our vendors regarding this and will let you know what we find. In the meantime don't stress about return windows, just let support know you're having these issues and we'll work with you to solve them. We don't intend to leave anyone high and dry with a headset that isn't working as advertised.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #4,512 of 7,191

Its always super noticeable to me when I turn on the headset and then fire up my console. Also running wireless, with mic muted. Once you load into your dashboard, you will start to hear it. I dont use the quick start or ready on feature, so its a normal boot.

I noticed it on the left ear (where the battery is). It s clearly noticable when no sound ingame or music. I play on Xbox one series X and notice it all the time in the game PUBG (where there are many moments of total silence). If anyone find any way to limit the inconvenience, let us know. If nothing can be done, I will ask for a refund.

TY.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #4,513 of 7,191
I have had it with the mic switched to mute, sidetone on (but disabled since mic is muted), and connected by wireless to either a PC laptop or MacBook Pro. I've not tried to use with a console. Had it today while I was watching some Youtube videos.
Hi I have disabled PS5 Systemsound, turned sidetone on and mic to mute and restarded the console several times (about 10 times) without this problem so far. Don‘t get me wrong, the wireless connection is far from perfect but I don‘t here a noise when it should be quiet.
Tomorrow I will try this with my Windows Notebook.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #4,514 of 7,191
My first use after opening the headphones from the box and fully charged them:

35 minutes
2h 30 minutes
1h 30 minutes
1h 25 minutes
40 minutes
1h
1h 25 minutes
1h
1h 10 minutes
50 minutes
==============
First low battery warning
=================

I will keep playing and timing waiting for the second warning
Only playstation 4 use

P. S.
Penrose has a built-in early warning system as the battery level drops. It gives a verbal low battery warning once there are about 4 hours of life left, and a second warning with about 2 hours of remaining life

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back