Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 11, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #4,441 of 7,191
1B73BA60-408A-4B48-ACEE-5B4E38F505D5.jpeg
Nervously waiting to see how much $ they’re gonna charge me to return these poorly crafted, lovely sounding cans.
I shouldn’t have to feel this way.
Ear ups did not freely swivel, and would not conform to shape of head. These actually broke while they were on my head. (Heart dropped)1B73BA60-408A-4B48-ACEE-5B4E38F505D5.jpeg
After seeing what that joint is made of, it’s no surprise that they wouldn’t swivel.
Definition of compromised audio.

Sucks that happened to you, though plastic doesn't mean compromised or cheap. The HD650 for example is all plastic. The Fostex TH-series extending all the way back to the Denon days all have the metal swivel joint as a huge weakness for example.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #4,442 of 7,191
Did Audeze ever say if the dongles would be available to buy separately? I have an Xbox and was going to get an Penrose X but do plan on buying a ps5 in the future and would be nice to have one headset for both.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #4,444 of 7,191
Well, i thought about how to describe this prior to them breaking. One cup had about 50% more torque than the other. The fact that one had much more torque than the other shows me there is something wrong. The cheapest headphones in my closet, has a smooth and solid swivel.
It looks like some kind of epoxy or some kind of uncured plastic at this joint.
Maybe I got unlucky.
Just be careful and consider getting an extended warranty from somewhere.
Also, nerf the DMR.
They come with a 3 year warranty but I don’t think what you did to that would cover it lol

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #4,445 of 7,191
1B73BA60-408A-4B48-ACEE-5B4E38F505D5.jpeg
Nervously waiting to see how much $ they’re gonna charge me to return these poorly crafted, lovely sounding cans.
I shouldn’t have to feel this way.
Ear ups did not freely swivel, and would not conform to shape of head. These actually broke while they were on my head. (Heart dropped)1B73BA60-408A-4B48-ACEE-5B4E38F505D5.jpeg
After seeing what that joint is made of, it’s no surprise that they wouldn’t swivel.
Definition of compromised audio.
This is a known issue with the Mobius as well. Just google it and you'll see a lot of Mobius headphones broken the same way. I am positive that they will replace it.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #4,446 of 7,191
Sucks that happened to you, though plastic doesn't mean compromised or cheap. The HD650 for example is all plastic. The Fostex TH-series extending all the way back to the Denon days all have the metal swivel joint as a huge weakness for example.
I think we can all agree that plastic does not mean cheap when referring to a headset.
But the component that failed me after less than a week is, in my book, is cheap and compromised.
Maybe it’s the way the cup slide down the side of my face when it broke; it was quite offensive. Hahaha

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4,448 of 7,191
I wanted to follow up with my other posts regarding the charging time and battery life. Audeze told me that if I charge with 5V 2.4 amp fast charger, I would be able to charge the battery fully in 3 hours as advertised. Well, it was not the case. I could fully charge the battery with a 5V 3.0 amp fast charger in 4 hours and 15 minutes. It was 5 and a half hours with a 5V/ 1 amp standard charger. I feel like the only good thing about this headset is the sound quality; everything else is just off. I am not even getting into popping/clicking issues. If this headset is designed for console and pc gaming, they should have taken into account possible interference and range issues. I mean, many gamers want to have their router close enough to their console or pc so that they will have fast wired internet. Also, I should not have to turn off 2.4 GHz from my router to only REDUCE the popping/clicking on the Penrose X. My Astro A50's are literally next to my router, and I have never had any interference or range issues with them. I love the way the Penrose X sounds, but other than the sound, nothing works as promised. I am on the fence whether to return them or not.

I can't say much about charging time as I don't track that (just plug it in before bed after playing) however the crackling and popping I think they mentioned it's being looked into and you may have a defective headset. Mine don't have this issue nor any problems with interference and they are literally behind the router.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,449 of 7,191
I might wanna keep them if that was the case.
Mobius and penrose have 1 year on parts and drivers. 2 years in EU.
Strange the site I got them from has a 3-year parts warranty on them. Yes, I've double-checked and it's 36 months. How much force did you use on them? I swivel them just fine and don't have an issue like this. Could this be a flaw from when it was manufactured?.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #4,450 of 7,191
When the playstation is in rest mode, the dongle keeps flashing searching i guess

Anything bad for the dongle having it like that long enough?
Bow writing this, I guess i can set usb off in rest mode from the options because i never use the usb ports

EDIT: lol, anyway i just turned the supply power to usb off.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #4,451 of 7,191
Idk if the headset has a battery problem or the firmware is bugged, but I heared the voice telling low battery two times in 5 min, so I plugged the headset to see the battery level and... it was showing 48% and went to 50% in a few seconds. I unplugged them and now I have the green led indicator (it was flashing fast in yellow). I have been using them for 10 min since that and it's still showing in green...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #4,453 of 7,191
Hey there. I’ve been following this for a few weeks now and finally decided to pull the trigger and get a pair of Penroses for myself. Just thought I’d give my experience with them thus far. It may also support the fact that there may be some defective units out there.

I’m a strictly PS5 user. Previous main headset was the Siberia 800s though I have used Astro A50s and recently the TB stealth 700s.

The sound. Hands down the best sounding headset I’ve used. Super clean and crisp. As previously stated can get very loud without distorting. No mid muddiness of the still very good Siberia 800s nor the overwhelming bottom end of the Astro A50a. The default eq setting is a little fatiguing in the top end but I’m currently using the mobius RPG EQ which has helped. Gaming and music both sound awesome and the 3D sound on PS5 seems more pronounced than with my Siberia’s. Why this is I’m not sure.

The mic. I haven’t chatted on my PS5 yet with them but I did make a phone call with them to my bro and he said I sounded amazingly clear. When testing the mic in PS5 menus this also seems to be the case. Super clean sound. Ensuring the gain isn’t too high and getting levels right first is pretty important not to pick up too much extra noise. Will report back on game chat if any issues

Connection. No issues. My USB dongle is in the back of my ps5 right next to a netgear Orbi satellite (i also have tried the front USB port to see if there was any difference). As a reference I’ve got sensitive ears and had to return the TB stealth 700s as there was some faint static background noise particularly obvious in the PS5 menu which drove me bonkers. Here, no hissing/popping background whooshing with either wireless or Bluetooth, microphone on or off. (I have not had the sidetone set to ON at all but will try that out) I do get those if I walk too far away from the console (I tested this out to see what would happen) and I got about 7m away down some stairs before this started to happen.

Comfort. I personally find them pretty comfortable. No doubt not the most comfortable headset on the market but the clamping force wasn’t much of an issue straight out of the box. That said I have a fairly average sized head. I can definitely see for those with larger heads how the clamping force could be uncomfortable. Different cooler ear pads would be a win.

Software. I’m an Apple user so it’s a bit of a pain. Had to use boot camp to put windows on my Mac and then use that for the Audeze HQ. Hopefully the Mac version isn’t too far off though buying a cheap android phone/tab might be useful for quick eq changes. And I definitely +1 the previous suggestion for a button press to switch through the eq presets rather than have to go into software every time.

Basically I’ve had no real issues with the Penrose at all. Another bonus for PS5 users unlike any other headset I’ve tried on the PS5 (Siberia 800s and TB stealth 700 and though i havent used them i hear the arctis 7Ps are in the same boat) when you turn the Penrose headset off, it automatically switches to my AV receiver set up (or whatever speakers you have). Other headsets you have to change in the quick menu. Not a big thing but it’s good to see they utilised the automatic switch function on PS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back