Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 9, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #4,411 of 7,191
I am really struggling to find the Penrose X in stock but would be able to obtain the Penrose. Can Audeze please provide the expected price for the separate dongle that would be needed to connect Penrose to xbox series x?
50. Seems weird headphones sell for the same price but its 50 for that one and 35 for the ps5. Too bad its puke green and I'm a blue fan so end up spending 50 more if I ever fo get the xbox

Jan 9, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #4,412 of 7,191
So to add to more impressions of the headphones I'll put my two cents into the mix as much as that may matter or not lol. I am coming from the steelseries arctis 7 headset most recently. I've also had the Astro a40s and turtle beach 600s. To know where I'm coming from with gaming headset performance comparison.

Comfort- these are not as comfortable as the steelseries but for my medium sized head they are comfortable. I've probably spent about 20 hours on them so far I've not needed to adjust it has any discomfort on my ears or jaw. These are about 2-4 hour gaming sessions.

Battery- the battery seems fine to me. I honestly couldn't tell you how long they are able to last. I typically play then plug them in . However, I learned from this website and the concerns of charge time taking 5 or more hours that of you use a fast charge 2.4 or 3.0 amp charger that it can reduce the charging time to the advertised 3 hours. Just make sure it's 5v otherwise it cause issues.

Connection- I have had no issues with connection losses with either bluetooth or 2.4. I play on pc. No popping out cracking noises in mine even at longer connection distances. Now the range of the connection isn't as good as my arctis 7s as I could go upstairs and remain connected. These I go across the downstairs about 7.5 meters away through a stairs wall it starts to give me the connected voice in my head. I don't have any issues with bluetooth connection and it has range enough to go throughout my downstairs without issue.

Sound- these are the best as far as sounds goes I've used but I'm by no means an audiophile. They sound much better than the arctis 7s and get a whole lot louder with clearer sound. They have a great range of sound. Not much more I can say about this other than they are really good. No lag in the sound with wireless. Bluetooth sounds great and talking on the phone with them works well and sounds good.

Microphone- the microphone is good, it sounds good and it has limited the plosives for the most part and they don't hear me breathing unless I breath into it intentionally. People say they can hear me fine and is better than my arctis 7s from what they tell me. My cable is actually rather rigid in that when I move it it stays where I move it to. Doesn't fling back.

Things I wish to be improved or added

-more customization in the app/software such as renaming presets, add the ability to change the volume of side tone, the game/chat mix wheel actually work on pc etc.

-as I said in the last issue I'm on pc and want the ability to adjust the game/chat mix either on the headset or in the software. The fact that my arctis 7s which are 150 dollars less can do this and these can't is frustrating

-the volume needs to have more incremental steps to make it be able to adjust volume to make it more precise.

-Is there a way to have it connect to bluetooth right away when turned on? This is something I wish could happen. It simultaneously connect to WiFi and bluetooth without me having to touch anything. Maybe make this an option in the software you can turn in automatic or turn that off.

-changing presets and making it so you can do it through the headset. It would be awesome if I could also update firmware without having to plug it in as well. Too much that I have to plug it into the computer to get it to change like firmware, presets updates etc.

-a range increase wouldn't hurt if that can be helped through firmware

-when I turn side tone in I do have the hiss/white noise others have stated. When it's off nothing. So this could be fixed that would be great

I can't remember any more real issues but I'm sure after more time I will come to work more. Honestly thought, I have quite enjoyed these. Those issues I have I would think could be solved through firmware changes. These have been the best pair of headsets I've owned and with tweaks they could go from really good to amazing and put audeze from small company to large company in the gaming industry.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #4,413 of 7,191
50. Seems weird headphones sell for the same price but its 50 for that one and 35 for the ps5. Too bad its puke green and I'm a blue fan so end up spending 50 more if I ever fo get the xbox
Are we able to order the dongle yet? I have a Penrose and was about to return for a Penrose x but I’d much rather just buy another dongle if that works

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #4,414 of 7,191
Why don't you just buy some carbon earcups? they are black and look sweeeeeet. Or the blue then you won't have the puke green.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #4,417 of 7,191
Why? Alot of headsets are that way? Steelseries is 3 seconds on 5 off I think it is.
It’s annoying to me when considering how quickly they can turn off without activity. If I step away to make coffee I have to repeat the process and turn them back on. It’s not the worst but it’s just a minor inconvenience.

I have the anc Sony’s that have a similar design but those don’t bother me for reason.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #4,418 of 7,191
It’s annoying to me when considering how quickly they can turn off without activity. If I step away to make coffee I have to repeat the process and turn them back on. It’s not the worst but it’s just a minor inconvenience.

I have the anc Sony’s that have a similar design but those don’t bother me for reason.
It's strange I've seen this mentioned quite often but its never happened to me I take frequent cig breaks which I have to roll and I come back and they are still connected. I leave them on my chair. How long do you step away for? Do you take the headset with you or leave it where it is? I have the Penrose X on series X. Could this be a ps only thing?

Also this is for everyone on xbox. if you have dolby atmos Use the EQ in dolby access and set your headset on the audeze app to flat. I used the footsteps EQ in the dolby access app and it's amazing!!.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #4,420 of 7,191
Jan 10, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #4,424 of 7,191
posta a pic please
I’m actually rocking all 4 nuggets on mine. Works out great. Allowed me to extend the headband up a bit. Loosened the clamp force. I may get new ear pads one day. But my average session is about 3 hours a day and don’t have any issues with discomfort anymore.
BFB1900F-FB12-4965-BDFF-73DE3780E29A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back