Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 9, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #4,396 of 7,191

Attachments

• PXL_20210109_131558533.jpg
    PXL_20210109_131558533.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #4,397 of 7,191
For people that have a problem with the headband, get the headband for the Beyerdynamic DT990, they are way more comfortable than stock (had minimal issues with stock), and for 8 bucks a no brainer and also not looking too bad.

I got the new DT990 headband today and sadly it doesn't fit. The used one from my DT990 fits perfectly. So I tried the new ones on the DT990 and they fit but it's pretty tight.
My guess is these stretch over time if there on the DT990's.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #4,398 of 7,191
I am having a hard time wanting to keep these headphones with a 5 to 5.5 hour charge time, when it lasts only about 12 hours of usage - especially when this was not the case as per advertisement. It’s a shame this is the biggest negative for me.

How did Audeze get these numbers, when I see every user report what reflects my experience?

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,399 of 7,191
I am having a hard time wanting to keep these headphones with a 5 to 5.5 hour charge time, when it lasts only about 12 hours of usage - especially when this was not the case as per advertisement. It’s a shame this is the biggest negative for me.

How did Audeze get these numbers, when I see every user report what reflects my experience?
I would be happy if that was my only issue 😅
You dont have Any White-noise issues on yours?

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #4,400 of 7,191
I would be happy if that was my only issue 😅
You dont have Any White-noise issues on yours?

Haha! There are definitely some other issues I have, the occasional popping/crackling sound and maybe over a 3-4 hour game session, I will get “connected” one or two times. I struggled with horrible connection issues initially, until I moved the dongle out of the bottom rear USB port on my XSX.

Oddly enough, my experience has been seamless while connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth - it has been my go to now for listening to music while working or doing stuff around the house. I start noticing a majority of the issues when I’m connected to Wireless basically, aside from the depressing battery life and charge time, of course.

Edit: no white noise issues though, I do have that hissing noise with side tone turned on but it goes away when it’s off, as multiple users have reported, same experience for me.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #4,401 of 7,191
I've had the Penrose X on the Xbox Series X for 1 week now and I've been torn between keeping it or returning it. The sound is unique, the wearing comfort is quite good so far, although I found the Astro A50, which I had before, better to wear. I prefer ear pads with fabric and not with this synthetic leather.

Battery life is okay at medium to loud volume with Micro I get about 12 hours of running time. What really bothers me are many comfort settings that are poorly resolved or not available, that with a 300 euro headset is not acceptable.

The sidetone is useless if I don't hear myself. I have removed the micro so far from my mouth so that I don't sound so dull and you can't hear my breathing, but I can't hear myself anymore. Chat / Micro Mix should have priority and should not be difficult to adjust. I set the volume for the micro once, the chat / mirco mix every time anew, because many games and people in the party are differently loud.

Then it is advertised with 2.4 GHz up to 30 meters after 6-7 meters it is over although there is direct visual contact with the dongle. The Astro A50 was able to do this better although it was transmitting at 5 GHz and this is actually not known for its range. Then give the presets a name and not just preset 1, 2, 3 ..... and that you can switch with the headset yourself and do not have to connect the headset to the PC every time. Unfortunately I don't have an Android but an Iphone.

Then the arm of the micro is much too limp when I bend it up a bit it always falls down, something shouldn't be allowed either. I hope that Audeze can get a lot of things under control with a firmware update, but it is only a mediocre headset and therefore significantly too expensive at 300 euros.

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #4,402 of 7,191

You can use a faster amp charger for a faster charge. According to another post that replied to my charging concerns (and he got the info from audeze support) a 2.4 amp charger won't hurt the battery and will improve charge time to the 3 hours specified. I'm using my quick charge phone charger and it's charging faster.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #4,403 of 7,191
My Penrose makes a weird noise after a few hours of using. When not playing music constantly at the background you can hear a kind of whispering noise in the left earcup.. is anyone else having this is issue or knows a way to fix it? I have tried to reboot it, did the firm firmwarm update and tried to use the amp in different usbports directly to my motherboard and i am not using sidetone. It seems to happen after a long period of using or on like half battery and below. I am afraid I need to send it back...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4,405 of 7,191
My Penrose makes a weird noise after a few hours of using. When not playing music constantly at the background you can hear a kind of whispering noise in the left earcup.. is anyone else having this is issue or knows a way to fix it? I have tried to reboot it, did the firm firmwarm update and tried to use the amp in different usbports directly to my motherboard and i am not using sidetone. It seems to happen after a long period of using or on like half battery and below. I am afraid I need to send it back...

I hear this too occasionally. It’s a warbling “wind in the far distance “ kind of a sound. Not a uniform white noise. It’s happens sometimes right after I turn them on, lasts for a few seconds and goes away.

I reported this to them and they wanted me to return the headphones for testing. My problem is that I love these things and don’t want to give them up. I’m concerned that even if I sent them back they may not be able to replicate since it happens occasionally for me, not enough to be a show stopper. My hope is that they are using them in the office and hear this since it is clear others are experiencing it and can them work a firmware fix.

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4,406 of 7,191
I hear this too occasionally. It’s a warbling “wind in the far distance “ kind of a sound. Not a uniform white noise. It’s happens sometimes right after I turn them on, lasts for a few seconds and goes away.

I reported this to them and they wanted me to return the headphones for testing. My problem is that I love these things and don’t want to give them up. I’m concerned that even if I sent them back they may not be able to replicate since it happens occasionally for me, not enough to be a show stopper. My hope is that they are using them in the office and hear this since it is clear others are experiencing it and can them work a firmware fix.

I get that too for a few seconds when I first turn them on, then it goes away as well. It's a similar sound to what I would hear with sidetone on (mine is set to off though), so I'm wondering if it has something to do with that. Maybe the headset takes a few seconds to disable sidetone after powering on or something, and that's why we're hearing it?

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #4,408 of 7,191
Hey,
What earpads are those? They look quite comfy haha.

Thinking about trying to change these out myself. Wish the original earpads just had a little more depth, would likely help with the clamp force

Thanks

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/pages/brainwavz-earpad-guide

Under the oval category, the hybrid ones. But any of the oval (not oval angled) should fit. I ripped the Audeze pads off the ring, left the ring snapped on the headphones and the oval pad will stretch over the ring. It's tight and sends secure in place without actually technically being secured in anyway.

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #4,409 of 7,191
I finally got my Penrose X on tuesday From CMA Audio (german Shop). After about 12 hours of usage heres my initial impression, partly bases on the problems People found...

I have no problems with the clamping force and fit of the headset, this seems to be Kind of a Theme with guys with larger Heads. I would have expected the opposite 😃
When First putting them on, they felt pretty Bad, but Aligning the earcups to my head did the Trick (feels a Bit odd, as is takes more force to adjust them, then expected)

As with every over ear Headset so far the Penrose are to warm for me. but it does not reach sweating Terrain as with the SteelSeries 9x. The mobius gel pads are ordered (only available in blue 😑) , but so far no Tracking Information

I have no Problems with connectivity, neither via Bluetooth, on the xbox or PC (always with a Front USB Port No other USB devices connected close to the Dongle).
There are only a few 2,4 Ghz WLANs, The Router is always at least 5 Meters away.
I had a USB extension cable available (no powered USB hub, just a cable with male/female USB connector), but didnt need it. Has anyone tried this to possibly get rid of Problems?

I too had the feeling of "vacuum" on one earcup (I think it was the right side), but this went away after about 2 hours or I simply got used to it.

Sound ist amazing for a gaming Headset. For Music I keep tempering with the EQ and cant find the right setting. Out of the Box "treble" or "highs" (sorry no native English speaker) were far to intense when rising the volume even to 50%
But regarding Wireless headphones, the Penrose are WAY better than my Sony WH-1000XM3, which probably doesnt say much :)
So far no Problems with popping or whooshing sounds.

The volume "steps" are way to imprecise, I mostly cant find a volume between to loud and to quiet.

Overall Iam absolutely happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #4,410 of 7,191
You can use a faster amp charger for a faster charge. According to another post that replied to my charging concerns (and he got the info from audeze support) a 2.4 amp charger won't hurt the battery and will improve charge time to the 3 hours specified. I'm using my quick charge phone charger and it's charging faster.

You’re a life saver, I don’t know why I didn’t think to check my 20w fast charger. I thought it would be higher than 5v, guess I was wrong! Testing a charge out now, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back