Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #4,336 of 7,191
Got my X today. Tried to put them on and the clamp force is insane (7 3/4 size head). I don’t think the ear pads are poor quality though the head band pad is poor. The clamp just compresses the ear pads a lot which makes them feel firm.

Even my wife who is much smaller than me tried them on and her first words unprompted were “these are super tight”.

Kind of disappointed but not surprised. have them on a pillow stretching, but if these don’t loosen up then everything else is irrelevant to me. Best sound in the world won’t mean a thing if I can’t wear them for more than 15 minutes without getting a headache and sore jaw.
Hey,
Did you ever get over the clamping force?

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #4,337 of 7,191
Right this is getting very annoying now. Whenever the headphones are connected to my Mac and I'm listening to music, if I stop to go make a cup of tea or something they disconnect and then it's a right pain connecting them again. I have to go through several cycles of turning them off and on again before they'll connect.

Is there a process I need to follow when I'm not actively listening to music? Should I always just power off if I need to leave my desk?

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #4,338 of 7,191
As does mine. Certain applications do not though. Would be far better if it were a permanent audio device for PC use.

For games, the current behavior is the most convenient, because Windows will change the default sound device automatically when the headset is powered on / off. The vast majority of PC games use the default sound device, and it is extremely rare to find games that even offer the option to use something else. If the headset were made a permanent device, the user would have to manually switch the default device every time.

I have a headphone amp that is a permanent device for when I want to use other headphones, and using them with games can be frustrating. Games generally do not allow you to change the sound device once they have launched, so if I forget to manually change the default device, I have to close the game and relaunch it. With Penrose I don't have this problem.

Given that this is a gaming-focused product, it makes sense to me that they went with the behavior that is most convenient for games, even if it may not be the easiest for certain non-gaming apps.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #4,339 of 7,191
Right this is getting very annoying now. Whenever the headphones are connected to my Mac and I'm listening to music, if I stop to go make a cup of tea or something they disconnect and then it's a right pain connecting them again. I have to go through several cycles of turning them off and on again before they'll connect.

Is there a process I need to follow when I'm not actively listening to music? Should I always just power off if I need to leave my desk?

I have the same issue when connecting it to my Macbook Pro. It's so frustrating I've given up on using Penrose to take Zoom calls. I don't have the connection issue with my PC laptop right next to it. Please submit a support ticket to Audeze so they can see it's a real issue.

And I agree that Penrose powering off & disconnecting after a short period of idle time makes this even worse.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #4,340 of 7,191
I have an Amplifi HD router and there is a setting that might help. It's in Wireless Settings > Advanced > 2.4Ghz Bandwidth. Set it to the minimum 20 Mhz which I believe should reduce the bandwidth it uses that might interfere with Penrose.

Thanks for the suggestion. My 2.4Ghz channel is already set to 20 Mhz, but I’ll keep messing with some other settings.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,341 of 7,191
I have my Penrose X since yesterday and already have problems when playing on Xbox Series X.When i play games after some time thé headset sound wil only come out on thé right speaker of thé headset.I try to turn them of and back on but stil same problem.It wil only fix after some time playing.I wil try today to put thé USB stick on thé front of thé Xbox Series X.I am using thé latest software update .

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #4,342 of 7,191
Sorry about this, our support team was very busy this holiday between typical holiday tickets and lots and lots of Penrose tickets. We should be caught up now however! Thanks for your patience everyone.
I am not seeing that you are caught up. I have been trying to get an RMA for a few days now with no response.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #4,343 of 7,191
I am not seeing that you are caught up. I have been trying to get an RMA for a few days now with no response.
I would appreciate a little bit of candor from support at this point. My agent implies that my issues seem unusual even though there are pages and pages of others experiencing the same. As support has told me, most people are happy, yet they have a lot of tickets on Penrose. Maybe folks can take a break from sending congratulatory support tickets so they can focus on those that need replacements or returns. I would also feel better if @Audeze would confirm that they will honor their return window if your support issue was logged within the specified period.

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #4,346 of 7,191
I don't know why nobody is talking about battery life and charging time. The maximum gameplay I could get out of these headphones was 12 hours, and also charging with 5V/1A takes almost 5 and a half hours. Charging it 5 hours and getting out 12 hours of gameplay until it completely shuts off does not seem practical. I thought I could get something close to 15 hours with these, and also, I was expecting them to charge fully in 3 hours with 5V/1A charger, as advertised.

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #4,348 of 7,191
I'm in the same boat. Vlad responded a few days after my initial ticket and it has been days since I responded and haven't heard back yet.

Edit: Please don't send multiple repetitive tickets as it bounces things to the bottom of the zendesk queue. Please give our team some time to respond before emailing again.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 7, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #4,349 of 7,191
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I'll bring this up to the team at our daily meeting today and see what's up. RMA's I know are handled by a separate person than support, but I'm not sure exactly how that's all handled since I don't specifically work support. I'll bring it up and see what I find out though, thanks for bringing it to our attention and really sorry you have been waiting for so long!

Thank you!

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,350 of 7,191
@Audeze

Day 8 since I last heard from the team. Doesn’t seem like they are caught up. I will keep posting updates till I hear back from the support team.
Our ticketing system updates the ticket queue every time you send a new email. so it pushes your request further back in the queue each time. We have wording in the auto replies to explain this. I escalated it and we will take care of it today.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back