Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 6, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #4,309 of 7,191
This is required feature for Xbox compatibility and was the reason why the Xbox units got shipped later. Initially we treated the Dongle like an external amp. It would always register as an audio device irrespective of the headphone being on/off. So when a user who uses the dongle with a console, turns off the headset, because they want to use their speakers, this feature is extremely useful.

So we also implemented this in the PS version.

Is there any chance that in the future this could be a selection / option? As a PC user, I also find it annoying that the device disappears. Half of my windows applications then decide to use a different audio device and subsequently do not transition back once the headset is turned back on.

For this reason I have to have a second pair of headphones connected to my motherboard, because changing back the settings EVERY time in applications has become too much.

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #4,310 of 7,191
Separate post for my latest opinions. Overall I am pleased with these and am happy with the purchase.

Having used these everyday (3 weeks?) here is my updated opinion.

Changing the EQ via the android app is a great new feature. It makes it actually useful for comparison sake now. Having read that the windows app will support this wirelessly in the future, that is just the cherry on the top. In CoD / Warzone, the footsteps preset makes the game more enjoyable. The excessively loud soundtrack in CoD at times, is reduced, while footsteps improved. I am further tweaking these values, I will post up my findings in the coming days. The problem isn't so much that footsteps are quiet, but that other loud sounds drown them out. Game issue, unrelated to this.

Sound quality remains very good. Noise floor is entirely tolerable. If it could be reduced further, great. If not, no matter.

Comfort is certainly improving with time. I personally put this down to how the cups rotate. I guess they are more free now from use. The top of the headband still gives me issues but I have ordered a wrap to go around the top (DT990) as reported earlier in this thread for helping.

I have the latest version of the Audeze HQ app on android and the latest firmware on the Penrose and the android app does NOT give the battery level indication.

Still awaiting windows volume control.

Would like a more granular volume control on the headset button. But if the above windows volume integration happens, it is not as much of a concern. Though it probably would be useful for console users.

Lastly as per my above post, addressing of the dongle as an external amp for PC users. That is probably the most annoying thing (for me) given how other applications switch audio devices automatically and not back.

Keep up the good work! Hopefully my post comes across more positive than negative as thats how I feel overall.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #4,312 of 7,191
Hi @Audeze. I created an account here to give my vote to swapping the game/chat mix wheel back to how you had it in beta ie game/chat as primary function.

I bought the Penrose X and love them. I have a question if someone knows the answer -

As an iPhone user I won’t be able to use my phone to swap presets etc, with the upcoming update allowing wireless connection to Windows does it mean that while connected to my console I will be able to connect to my PC app at the same time so I can try out presets in real-time in whatever console game I’ve got on?
Thanks,

edited slightly for clarity

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #4,313 of 7,191
Also having frequent popping and crackling, it's driving me insane !

I'm plugged into a USB 2.0 port directly in my motherboard, going to get a USB 2.0 extension cable to see if that helps

Penrose X btw

I've been able to alleviate some of the cracking and popping, i bought a USB 2.0 extender so i could move the USB Dongle away from the back of the PC to reduce interference as per Audeze recommendations and also gained some range too.

Additionally i changed the channel for my 2.4ghz wifi router and that also helped a bit.

I do get occasionally small pops or cracks still, might have to see how far i can move my router away from me to see if it fixes further.

Apart from that the sound quality is amazing, after setting the EDM preset the DnB i listen to sound fantastic, not over the top bass, clear and concise and the high ends of snares etc are not as harsh as they were out of the box.

@Audeze Fantastic headphones with a few snagging issues, look forward to more features on the PC app !

Wireless battery monitoring/pre-set changing wirelessly would be awesome and per app pre-sets would also be a good addition for gamers who like game specific pre-sets too.

Windows volume control also, but i know that is in the pipeline.

I prefer maxing the headphones and turning down the audio source i.e windows :)

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #4,314 of 7,191
Hi @Audeze. I created an account here to give my vote to swapping the game/chat mix wheel back to how you had it in beta.

I bought the Penrose X and love them. I have a question if someone knows the answer -

As an iPhone user I won’t be able to use my phone to swap presets etc, with the upcoming update allowing wireless connection to Windows does it mean that while connected to my console I will be able to connect to my PC at the same time so I can try out presets in real-time?
Thanks,

If this does chat/game mix slider doesn't work on pc my vote is to just leave it as is for the pc. I decided to change my vote to this because having no point in having something changed as priority when it has no impact on anything for pc

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #4,317 of 7,191
@Audeze can we add functionality for lowering and raising sidetone audio levels in the app. I can hardly hear myself at the current audio level. My wife keeps popping into my room telling me to keep my voice down!
I agree! I can hardly hear myself at the current level, and if I bring the mic closer to my mouth to actually hear sidetone the mic starts picking up my breathing.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #4,319 of 7,191
Our original design had the chat mix as the primary and volume gain as click+ rotate. In our beta testing everyone complained and we swapped it. Now it seems everyone wants it the other way. Maybe we should do a poll before changing them back again.
@ Audeze, a couple of things I think are fair to point out here: Primary Points on Chat Mix function
- If you read through this entire forum / posts, it's easy to see that this is by far the most requested feature / change.
- If we are all being honest..., this headset "Penrose X" is / was marketed as primarily for Xbox consoles (really next gen Series X & Series S)
- You really can't find a console (Xbox) headset that doesn't have this feature (chat mix as the primary) (Astro, Steel Series, Turtle Beach, LucidSound, HyperX, and so on...)
- The ability to adjusts this, is something that is constantly used by console (Xbox) gamers, as others have noted.
- It's far more intuitive and user friendly to have chat mix as the main wheel function

Other Points of Consideration:
- Due to the late release / shipping date of the Penrose X....., and limited supply of next Gen consoles....
- More than likely most beta testers weren't using this headset on the newest consoles.
- Also, the beta testers were probably a much smaller / limited pool of people
- Now that a lot more people have, and are using this headset "Penrose X" with next gen consoles...
- There is overwhelming demand to have the chat mix as the main wheel function.., as noted in this forum

Other Request / Features, for consideration (As others have requested):
- More volume steps, the jump in volume between clicks is too big.
- Battery indicator when in Bluetooth
- Ability to name Presets
- Way to quickly swap to different presets via the headset, not the app. Can this currently be done?
- Functionality for lowering and raising side tone audio levels (Should be adjustable and not just on or off.)
- Official Audeze swappable earpad options (like the Gel filled Mobius ones.., Can't get these in the US currently)

Being Completely Honest:
- Audio / Soundstage on the Penrose X = Amazing / very impressive. Love it.
- User Friendly Controls via Headset and App = Room for improvement
- Comfort = Not that great, need more earpad options

My Hopes:
- The headset controls / and app options = Become better with updates
- Comfort = Additional options are made available to provide more comfort to some users

I'm just respectfully asking that Audeze takes these items into consideration. Thanks.

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4,320 of 7,191
@ Audeze, a couple of things I think are fair to point out here: Primary Points on Chat Mix function
- If you read through this entire forum / posts, it's easy to see that this is by far the most requested feature / change.
- If we are all being honest..., this headset "Penrose X" is / was marketed as primarily for Xbox consoles (really next gen Series X & Series S)
- You really can't find a console (Xbox) headset that doesn't have this feature (chat mix as the primary) (Astro, Steel Series, Turtle Beach, LucidSound, HyperX, and so on...)
- The ability to adjusts this, is something that is constantly used by console (Xbox) gamers, as others have noted.
- It's far more intuitive and user friendly to have chat mix as the main wheel function

Other Points of Consideration:
- Due to the late release / shipping date of the Penrose X....., and limited supply of next Gen consoles....
- More than likely most beta testers weren't using this headset on the newest consoles.
- Also, the beta testers were probably a much smaller / limited pool of people
- Now that a lot more people have, and are using this headset "Penrose X" with next gen consoles...
- There is overwhelming demand to have the chat mix as the main wheel function.., as noted in this forum

Other Request / Features, for consideration (As others have requested):
- More volume steps, the jump in volume between clicks is too big.
- Battery indicator when in Bluetooth
- Ability to name Presets
- Way to quickly swap to different presets via the headset, not the app. Can this currently be done?
- Functionality for lowering and raising side tone audio levels (Should be adjustable and not just on or off.)
- Official Audeze swappable earpad options (like the Gel filled Mobius ones.., Can't get these in the US currently)

Being Completely Honest:
- Audio / Soundstage on the Penrose X = Amazing / very impressive. Love it.
- User Friendly Controls via Headset and App = Room for improvement
- Comfort = Not that great, need more earpad options

My Hopes:
- The headset controls / and app options = Become better with updates
- Comfort = Additional options are made available to provide more comfort to some users

I'm just respectfully asking that Audeze takes these items into consideration. Thanks.

What's frustrating to me is those same headset manufacturers make pc/ps4 and xbox compatible headsets yet the chat/game mix slider on the headset or in app works yet on this headset it can't be used on pc? I don't understand that.

I like all of your points. More options is always a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back