Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #4,006 of 7,191
Hi, got my Penrose X today. I have read the whole thread so have some stuff to "check-off-list".

Only been testing for less than half an hour and so far;
-clampforce, feels a bit tight but not too worried. Will probably game some later and see how it feels, but believe it will stretch. Will pillow it :wink:
-wooshing, yes I heard something when connected to series x and no sound playing, but no problem me as of noe. Did not hear it when in game.
-crackling, think I maybe heard this once or twice but not sure. Will keep my ears open.
-looks, they seem solid, the green color doesnt bother me just gonna use them for gaming. Prefer suede/soft earpads so will look into that when I decide to keep them.
-connections, plugged the dongle and instantly connected. Tried bluetooth for my phone, instantly connected. Very nice. Just now I tried how far away from the dongle I could go - 10m and still connected.

Question, I missed some bass in game (warzone). What hz should I adjust in the app for more omphf? They were very omphy when trying a song from my phone, awesome actually.

As I said, very little time with it but first impressions are good.

Stian - Norway
The lower hz are your bass. So the first 2 or 3 notched on the eq

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #4,008 of 7,191
It seems to contradict Apple's guidance that Apple requires anything specific. As others have mentioned there are Bose QC 35 headphones that have an iOS app yet don't claim any Apple specific compliance. Perhaps there is something further that Audeze can elaborate on.

My confusion on this is how do you guys know that Sony and Bose don't have MFI certification as a company that designs accessories in addition to apps?

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #4,009 of 7,191
@Audeze I registered just to post in this thread because of the issues I've been having with my new Penrose X as with everyone else.

-Bluetooth - The biggest issue I’ve encountered is not having the ability to independently control the game/chat audio versus the Bluetooth. Once to paired to Bluetooth, I cannot control the audio on my android or iPhone independently and it adjusts the master volume which is useless. A slider in the HQ app to adjust Bluetooth input to the headphones could solve this as there is already a way to balance the game and chat audio. This was one of the main reasons I purchased these headphones and it sucks that the implementation is terrible with no real control on audio levels.

-Mic Gain - As many have said, the mic gain should be the "click and scroll" option and the game/chat mix should be the default scroll as that is utilized far more often. I find myself mistakenly adjusting the mic gain when that was not intended as no other headphone company has that as a default option. An option to change the scroll wheel mappings in the software would make a lot of people happy as this causes a huge disservice to its users.

-Audeze HQ- I still cannot get this app installed. Its not in the Playstore and the link on their website doesn't work to download. The Windows app is clunky and lacks basic functionality like battery charge and master volume level.

-Audio over USB- I don't even know why I have to ask for this but why can't audio over USB be enabled if we always have to plug into the damn computer to change settings, EQ, etc...

-Microphone quality - I totally understand why latency and audio quality were chosen over mic transmission given the limited bandwith with bluetooth. Why is this an issue with the wireless dongle however? There should be more than enough headway to allow for an incremental increase in clarity. This is not to mention the muffled/boomy sound I am told it sounds like on the receiving end. With that being said, I would be happy with the above audio over USB enabled so I could at least get better quality on my PC.

Overall I love the IDEA of the headphones and think the hardware is top notch. Audeze has proven that they make phenomenal products in the audio space and I admire them for making a move into the gaming world. The biggest issues are all software related. It feels as though these were rushed to market without debugging the software and getting the UI/controls ready for prime time. I am on the fence of returning them because of everything listed above. I am mainly waiting on some sort of confirmation from Audeze that they are aware of all these things and plans to work on them. If this is not the case, they are going back and I can find something else for half the price with less compromises.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #4,010 of 7,191
It seems to contradict Apple's guidance that Apple requires anything specific. As others have mentioned there are Bose QC 35 headphones that have an iOS app yet don't claim any Apple specific compliance. Perhaps there is something further that Audeze can elaborate on.

I’m thinking something along the lines of not wanting to fall in line with what Apple allows you to do with an app and how it’s all handled behind the scenes(politics if you will).

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #4,011 of 7,191
@Audeze I registered just to post in this thread because of the issues I've been having with my new Penrose X as with everyone else.

-Bluetooth - The biggest issue I’ve encountered is not having the ability to independently control the game/chat audio versus the Bluetooth. Once to paired to Bluetooth, I cannot control the audio on my android or iPhone independently and it adjusts the master volume which is useless. A slider in the HQ app to adjust Bluetooth input to the headphones could solve this as there is already a way to balance the game and chat audio. This was one of the main reasons I purchased these headphones and it sucks that the implementation is terrible with no real control on audio levels.

Pretty sure Audeze stated that Bluetooth and Wireless shared the same audio and couldn't be adjusted independently from each other.

-Mic Gain - As many have said, the mic gain should be the "click and scroll" option and the game/chat mix should be the default scroll as that is utilized far more often. I find myself mistakenly adjusting the mic gain when that was not intended as no other headphone company has that as a default option. An option to change the scroll wheel mappings in the software would make a lot of people happy as this causes a huge disservice to its users.

-Audeze HQ- I still cannot get this app installed. Its not in the Playstore and the link on their website doesn't work to download. The Windows app is clunky and lacks basic functionality like battery charge and master volume level.

This app as far as Penrose is concerned is only currently available on the Windows platform. They will be adding a battery indicator when the Penrose is connected via USB in the next update and plan to add more features to the software later on. The version for Android should be coming out "soon" followed by the macOS version.

-Audio over USB- I don't even know why I have to ask for this but why can't audio over USB be enabled if we always have to plug into the damn computer to change settings, EQ, etc...

This was a design choice by Audeze to make sure the design of the Penrose did not become too complex. Since it's at a hardware level, I wouldn't hold out on hoping it gets added later on.

-Microphone quality - I totally understand why latency and audio quality were chosen over mic transmission given the limited bandwith with bluetooth. Why is this an issue with the wireless dongle however? There should be more than enough headway to allow for an incremental increase in clarity. This is not to mention the muffled/boomy sound I am told it sounds like on the receiving end. With that being said, I would be happy with the above audio over USB enabled so I could at least get better quality on my PC.

Audeze mentioned possibly looking into this in the future. As for the mic sounding muffled or booming, I would make sure it is properly oriented. Take off the pop filter on it and make sure the silver mesh is oriented towards your mouth and play with distance and angle until it sounds the way you prefer.

Overall I love the IDEA of the headphones and think the hardware is top notch. Audeze has proven that they make phenomenal products in the audio space and I admire them for making a move into the gaming world. The biggest issues are all software related. It feels as though these were rushed to market without debugging the software and getting the UI/controls ready for prime time. I am on the fence of returning them because of everything listed above. I am mainly waiting on some sort of confirmation from Audeze that they are aware of all these things and plans to work on them. If this is not the case, they are going back and I can find something else for half the price with less compromises.

Answered some of the things you brought up.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #4,014 of 7,191

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.embodyvr.immerse.immerse

Here is the app

On Android you need to disable absolute volume in developer settings to have the volume only control the Bluetooth aspect

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #4,015 of 7,191
It does not look like a chip nor MFI certification is necessary to develop an iOS/iPhone app for the headset. See: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/393007/who-needs-to-join-the-apple-mfi-program

@Audeze Is there any explanation for no iOS app?
We have made MFI approved products in the past (with Lightning cable) and have experience with the process. If you want to send proprietary data and control, it needs the Lightning Audio module (LAM) chipset or over BLE. Penrose does not have the LAM chip to do this.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #4,018 of 7,191
Used my Penrose X for a couple of days. Sound quality for me is amazing, and I find them quite comfortable. Clamp force is pretty strong but I easily got used to it and allows me to isolate myself quite a lot.

I played online with some friends and everyone said that the mic sounded good, so no complains here either.

Oddly enough, I have 0 issues with my PS5, while I do keep getting connection problems from time to time with the xbox (with the voice saying "connected"). It's quite annoying but I am assuming this will get fixed.

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #4,019 of 7,191
Answered some of the things you brought up.

Thanks for the replies. I played with the mic with the pop on and off along with the positioning and angle and i just find it very finicky. Not sure if its a hardware thing with the mic which makes it extremely directional or the mic gain curve on the software side. It just seems really hit or miss to the point where I have to spend a few minutes every time I put them on to adjust to get right which is annoying.

I also find it hard to believe that they can't control the "wireless" for console/pc and the Bluetooth independently as they are separate signals coming in. I would love some clarity on this from Audeze direct.

They responded saying the Playstore app was missing so at least that was addressed once they add it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back