Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #3,994 of 7,191
I posted on Reddit right away, but completely agree with the chat/mic gain swap. I’m a console only player with a Mac and an iPhone. I literally have no way to check mic gain period, most console gamers turn this to 100 and let users on the other end adjust as needed. Once done I never touch this setting unless someone gets a new headset. Chat mix however I chance constantly. In warzone I turn chat off for gulag and back up when in game. Easily 25-50 times this gets changed in an evening.

I’d also love to see some reviews of the mobius Footsteps preset. With no Mac app this is a trip to someone’s house and asking them to let me borrow their PC.Don’t really want to change it with no way to go back on the fly, unless it’s amazing in warzone. Really need that Mac app, if there’s ANY way for an iOS app, even with very basic features it really should be considered. Most console gamers choose it for the convenience and not having to mess with a PC to game.
Seriously need the iOS app to at least switch presets and see battery percentage.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #4,000 of 7,191
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #4,001 of 7,191
All the begging for iPhone app won't he get one done. The headsets are missing a chip (I believe Thats what audeze said) that's needed to interface with ios apps

That sounds like BS. Both the Sennheiser and Sony BT headphones I've used have apps to control EQ and update firmware. Pretty sure it just communicates via bluetooth.

Sidenote: Really, really liking the Penrose on the PS5 now that I've had a week or two to really get used to them. Zero connection issues (dongle plugged into front of PS5, surrounded by other electronics, router, smart plugs, etc. without any issue). Great sound overall!

Only complaint is the random popping sounds I'll hear every once in a while. Fairly quiet but still noticeable. Fortunately doesn't happen often enough to be annoying.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #4,002 of 7,191
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #4,003 of 7,191
Dec 30, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #4,004 of 7,191
I can see battery of Penrose X when connected via Bluetooth on my iPhone, I do wish there was a battery level on console dash when connected to Wireless. It would also be nice to have a way to change EQ without having to plug into a laptop for Apple users.

I am also having intermittent connectivity issues when connected to Wireless. It’s hard to replicate, but sometimes where I’m sitting and gaming (10ft away from dongle), just turning my head to the left can cause it to drop. Ordered myself USB extension cable to see if that fixes the issues with dropping connection.

Edit: I was able to fix the connectivity issues by using different ports on the Series X. For some reason I have issues with the bottom USB port on the back but not on the front or upper port.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #4,005 of 7,191
Hi, got my Penrose X today. I have read the whole thread so have some stuff to "check-off-list".

Only been testing for less than half an hour and so far;
-clampforce, feels a bit tight but not too worried. Will probably game some later and see how it feels, but believe it will stretch. Will pillow it :wink:
-wooshing, yes I heard something when connected to series x and no sound playing, but no problem me as of noe. Did not hear it when in game.
-crackling, think I maybe heard this once or twice but not sure. Will keep my ears open.
-looks, they seem solid, the green color doesnt bother me just gonna use them for gaming. Prefer suede/soft earpads so will look into that when I decide to keep them.
-connections, plugged the dongle and instantly connected. Tried bluetooth for my phone, instantly connected. Very nice. Just now I tried how far away from the dongle I could go - 10m and still connected.

Question, I missed some bass in game (warzone). What hz should I adjust in the app for more omphf? They were very omphy when trying a song from my phone, awesome actually.

As I said, very little time with it but first impressions are good.

Stian - Norway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back