Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 29, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #3,978 of 7,191
I was increase comfort by adding some aftermarket pads. I removed the original ear cushions, kept the plastic piece, trimmed the edge a bit to create a channel for the new earpads to slip into. Feels a lot better. It's not the prettiest job, but you can't see it and it works :smile:
Your right that is not pretty. Audeze should just sell the plastic piece with a channel for replacement pads

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #3,982 of 7,191
Which pads did you actually get? I only see one that says penrose compatible and it has 1 review on the US site. If you could provide a link it would be great. Also how did you remove the ear pads? It doesn’t seem like they come off easily

https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Replacement-Penrose-Earpads-Headset/dp/B08PDN3P4V/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dekoni+penrose&qid=1609293476&sr=8-2&th=1

I'm not sure why he said highly rated, could be a different Country/Region amazon.

And yes they do not come off easily, you could possibly use a blow dryer and a flathead screwdriver to pry them off.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #3,987 of 7,191
https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Replacement-Penrose-Earpads-Headset/dp/B08PDN3P4V/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dekoni+penrose&qid=1609293476&sr=8-2&th=1

I'm not sure why he said highly rated, could be a different Country/Region amazon.

And yes they do not come off easily, you could possibly use a blow dryer and a flathead screwdriver to pry them off.

I thought he was talking about the stand. Regardless, that reviewer's experience is pretty different from mine; I don't find them stiff at all. They are very soft and squishable. Also, lots of earpads use double sided tape. There is nothing inherently wrong with that.

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #3,988 of 7,191
I posted on Reddit right away, but completely agree with the chat/mic gain swap. I’m a console only player with a Mac and an iPhone. I literally have no way to check mic gain period, most console gamers turn this to 100 and let users on the other end adjust as needed. Once done I never touch this setting unless someone gets a new headset. Chat mix however I chance constantly. In warzone I turn chat off for gulag and back up when in game. Easily 25-50 times this gets changed in an evening.

I’d also love to see some reviews of the mobius Footsteps preset. With no Mac app this is a trip to someone’s house and asking them to let me borrow their PC.Don’t really want to change it with no way to go back on the fly, unless it’s amazing in warzone. Really need that Mac app, if there’s ANY way for an iOS app, even with very basic features it really should be considered. Most console gamers choose it for the convenience and not having to mess with a PC to game.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #3,989 of 7,191
@Audeze
There needs to be a good option for Apple owners. An iOS app would be ideal, so that we can change EQ on the fly without having to plug the headphones into our computers, but if not, then at least a Mac app. But I am certainly surprised that you have stated that an iOS app isn't coming. If anything, a good iOS app would be far superior to a good Mac app. The fact that you haven't accommodated Mac owners at all is pretty bad. It does show that the product wasn't quite ready for release.

I also agree with everyone else - adjusting your Mic gain is a terrible option by default. I had it all set up, and then I went to adjust the volume and suddenly I changed my mic gain without any way of adjusting it back to a good level without quitting the game I was playing on PS5.

I have only used the Penrose for a few short gaming sessions, but I do love them. They sound amazing for both PS5 (with 3D Audio off), and bluetooth audio. I also haven't experienced any drop-outs yet. I am sitting about 3 metres away from my PS5 with the dongle plugged into the front USB port, and my WIFI router only a metre away from the PS5. So I am happy about no drop-outs.

One QA issue - the ear cups came the wrong way around. I actually noticed because the L/R label on the headband (just above the ear cups) didn't match the ear cups. It was easy to fix, but shows that there isn't a good QA process in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back