Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #4,037 of 7,191
It does not look like a chip nor MFI certification is necessary to
App control will work over wireless/Bluetooth if the platform supports it. The android app already works over bluetooth for control. We will also enable wireless control for Desktop. Unfortunately, for IOS, it requires a LAM chip which is not in the dongle to do EQ/Firmware updates. Bluetooth features like battery indicator, Volume control etc work on IOS already.
Wireless control for desktop, will that work with Bluetooth and/or wireless mode? Basically wondering if I am using on Xbox console but want to be Bluetooth to pc for control, will that work?

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #4,038 of 7,191
Just wanna thank @Audeze for the level of transparency here, very much appreciated.

I have one question: my Penrose X has sons popping issues when playing online on Series X, as well as the issue with the headset stopping the mic to say "Connected" from time to time. What's causing this and will these issues get addressed?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #4,040 of 7,191
Just wanna thank Audeze for the leave of transparency here, very much appreciated.

I have one question: my Penrose X has sons popping issues when playing online on Series X, as well as the issue with the headset stopping the mic to say "Connected" from time to time. What's causing this and will these issues get addressed?
I had issues with audio making clicking sounds. Changed the USB port on the back and working fine now.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #4,042 of 7,191
I'm still on beta fw from my review all those weeks ago. Is there any new update for me to test out? This thread moves fast so 'm not sure if the beta is behind.

@Audeze

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #4,044 of 7,191
Long time thread reader first time essay writer. Received mine yesterday -

The good and the great
Audio
is superb with music via bluetooth or wireless dongle. I had been using my Astro A50 Gen 3's, these are by far superior on my initial impressions. Yet to try on my Xbox, I will have Warzone/cyberpunk impressions over the weekend. Though PC gaming it was really put through its paces with Warcraft.....tinkling magical noises sound, well, magical.

Mic in Discord tested with my friend who said the sound is clear and good. We're not audio/mic experts admittedly. I had followed guidelines by Audeze on mic position and wasn't using the mic cover.

Connecting to my gaming PC/work PC/bluetooth on first attempt. Running wireless and bluetooth simultaneously.

Comfort for my weird long narrow head I really like, I find these as comfortable as my previous set (A50), maybe more so. Initially they weren't, until I realised I could extent them to fit, rookie error on my part.

Brucey Bonus - they do a decent job of drowning out the noise of my screaming children.

The needs attention section
Crackling/popping intermittent watching YouTube (multiple videos) and listening to podcasts when only connected via bluetooth to Samsung S20 Plus. Not noticed this during music, assume the noise is drowned out. Also not noticed this when connected wireless only on Discord.

Connected to both bluetooth and PC a voice saying 'connected' every 1-2mins. This is intermittent, not an issue last night but is an issue this morning in the exact same setup. Need to play around further with this.

Any other business
- The green is not as bad as i feared, the Mrs said 'You don't look as much of an idiot in these as you did in the old headphones' super. In the UK I cant get carbon cups without having to pay a fortune to get from US, but I can get Mobius gel pads (Audeze UK site) in carbon which I've ordered to try.
- Android users can use an app called BatON to monitor headphone battery level (Audeze app not available for me at mo)

Early verdict
Really happy so far, love the audio and love being able to connect to the phone whilst on PC/Xbox, a joy for 'Working' from home with YouTube on the phone and ready to answer a work teams call on PC. Needs further time to see battery behavior and Xbox quality which I can update here if people are interested in this luddites opinion. Some initial bugs I hope are ironed out.

Thanks @Audeze for being present on these forums, it's reassuring to know you are working to iron out the bugs and add features requested where possible.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #4,045 of 7,191
Long time thread reader first time essay writer. Received mine yesterday -

The good and the great
Audio
is superb with music via bluetooth or wireless dongle. I had been using my Astro A50 Gen 3's, these are by far superior on my initial impressions. Yet to try on my Xbox, I will have Warzone/cyberpunk impressions over the weekend. Though PC gaming it was really put through its paces with Warcraft.....tinkling magical noises sound, well, magical.

Mic in Discord tested with my friend who said the sound is clear and good. We're not audio/mic experts admittedly. I had followed guidelines by Audeze on mic position and wasn't using the mic cover.

Connecting to my gaming PC/work PC/bluetooth on first attempt. Running wireless and bluetooth simultaneously.

Comfort for my weird long narrow head I really like, I find these as comfortable as my previous set (A50), maybe more so. Initially they weren't, until I realised I could extent them to fit, rookie error on my part.

Brucey Bonus - they do a decent job of drowning out the noise of my screaming children.

The needs attention section
Crackling/popping intermittent watching YouTube (multiple videos) and listening to podcasts when only connected via bluetooth to Samsung S20 Plus. Not noticed this during music, assume the noise is drowned out. Also not noticed this when connected wireless only on Discord.

Connected to both bluetooth and PC a voice saying 'connected' every 1-2mins. This is intermittent, not an issue last night but is an issue this morning in the exact same setup. Need to play around further with this.

Any other business
- The green is not as bad as i feared, the Mrs said 'You don't look as much of an idiot in these as you did in the old headphones' super. In the UK I cant get carbon cups without having to pay a fortune to get from US, but I can get Mobius gel pads (Audeze UK site) in carbon which I've ordered to try.
- Android users can use an app called BatON to monitor headphone battery level (Audeze app not available for me at mo)

Early verdict
Really happy so far, love the audio and love being able to connect to the phone whilst on PC/Xbox, a joy for 'Working' from home with YouTube on the phone and ready to answer a work teams call on PC. Needs further time to see battery behavior and Xbox quality which I can update here if people are interested in this luddites opinion. Some initial bugs I hope are ironed out.

Thanks @Audeze for being present on these forums, it's reassuring to know you are working to iron out the bugs and add features requested where possible.
Nice review are the gel pads to replace the ear cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back