Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,616 of 7,191
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,617 of 7,191
my wife cant figure out how I end up yelling into the microphone....thats how hah
I have them but haven't tried them yet. They come with double sided tape, meaning they are single use only. I am waiting for my grey ring cups to get here before trying. Audeze is trying to get all you jerks your Penrose and Penrose X first, so I am still waiting for my ear cups to be sent out. :D
What do you mean, you need ring cups to attach these? Do I have to buy these? I just ordered the suede ones to try out before I decide to return these or not

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #3,619 of 7,191
just got my X's. have them hooked to BT for now; wow these get LOUD, i'm at 75% volume on my iphone; not sure i can go much louder with the flat eq :) but absolutely zero distortion, sound great. went into music app settings and added the bass boost eq setting, volume went down slightly, but could just turn overall volume back up. @Audeze any chance the iOS HQ app will have penrose functionality? i'd really like to tune these on my iphone :) I know android is getting it...

I'll be testing these out fully later tonight. but been on my head for about 30 minutes. clamp is a bit tighter than other headsets, but it doesn't seem to be bothersome, just helps with the passive isolation. i may add nuggets to the top, undecided yet; need to wear them for longer.

If you're making a V curve rather than just boosting each end by a couple of clicks tapering, try increasing only by one click and then decreasing the mistake slightly. The aim is to avoid clipping the eq.

Also check manual about AGC for other reasons. Apple if preaching to the coveted but Audeze don't advertise their help pages very well?

I see a page back undbecks achieved similar by just reducing. I'm in the middle with a bit of up, and a bit of down.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #3,623 of 7,191
Yes, the clamp and non exist padding is what may cause me to throw in the towel. No audio issues, no disconnects etc. Just comfort issues. Trying to stretch these things all night. Will try this for one week straight, 16+ hours a day.
I'm really having fun in seeing the creative ways to stretch these guys. :)

How did you go after the stretching?

No clamp issues here, perfect for me.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #3,624 of 7,191
I'm getting popping/cracking when testing the mic. A full restart fixes the problem until I turn the Xbox off and back on again. I leave the dongle plugged in when doing the full restart and then just power on the headset. I'll have to test if I'm getting the popping/cracking sound while gaming beyond using the mic like you are. I'll test this tomorrow.

Do you know if your Xbox is set to Instant On or Energy Saver? I'm wondering if there is and issue with the dongle plugged in and the Xbox set to instant On.
I have Xbox set to Energy Saver and it doesn't seem to help at all. I've tried everything, except plugging my SX into the wall (because it'd be a hassle and not sure it'd even help), so I'm really bummed out about this. Even though I'm really liking the headset, I'll probably have to return it. My Astros don't pop at all if I connect the optical from base station to the TV, but man, the Penrose feel and sound so much better. :frowning2:

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3,625 of 7,191
I'm really having fun in seeing the creative ways to stretch these guys. :)

How did you go after the stretching?

No clamp issues here, perfect for me.
LOL, I put them on my paper shredder and around the base of a pedestal end table

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_092353_01.jpg
    IMG_20201219_092353_01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #3,626 of 7,191
I have Xbox set to Energy Saver and it doesn't seem to help at all. I've tried everything, except plugging my SX into the wall (because it'd be a hassle and not sure it'd even help), so I'm really bummed out about this. Even though I'm really liking the headset, I'll probably have to return it. My Astros don't pop at all if I connect the optical from base station to the TV, but man, the Penrose feel and sound so much better. :frowning2:

Have you reached out to Audeze about this?

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #3,627 of 7,191
LOL, I put them on my paper shredder and around the base of a pedestal end table
Pillow, Mattress, Shredder, Pedestal... anything is valid here. lol

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #3,630 of 7,191
On the one hand I want to stretch mine out a bit, but on the other hand it already feels like the right pad crushes down so my ear touches the driver, and I don’t want to exacerbate that further.
Try adjusting a bit in front of the mirror and see how it goes. sometimes when I have that feeling of one side is right and the other is not is because of the headphones being on a weird angle that I couldn't notice, but the mirror never lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back