Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 21, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #3,632 of 7,191
I have Xbox set to Energy Saver and it doesn't seem to help at all. I've tried everything, except plugging my SX into the wall (because it'd be a hassle and not sure it'd even help), so I'm really bummed out about this. Even though I'm really liking the headset, I'll probably have to return it. My Astros don't pop at all if I connect the optical from base station to the TV, but man, the Penrose feel and sound so much better. :frowning2:
So I've also tested with Energy Saver on and this didn't fix the popping issue with the mic either. The only thing that fixes my issue is a complete restart of the Xbox.

I'm not getting any issue with the sound. Only with the mic. I've eliminated everything that could be causing the issue. I'm thinking it could be the dongle itself that we are both having issues with.

I've since reached out to Audeze and will await their reply.

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3,633 of 7,191
On the one hand I want to stretch mine out a bit, but on the other hand it already feels like the right pad crushes down so my ear touches the driver, and I don’t want to exacerbate that further.
Take the cups off first and stretch with a pillow on just the drivers. Then you don't have to worry about damaging what little padding there is

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #3,636 of 7,191
Has anyone else found the wooshing / windy sound still happens even after the latest firmware update that was supposed to fix it?

Heard it yesterday and now today, after a couple hours on Spotify and YouTube. It seems stronger on the left side, and comes and goes a bit. I'm using it in wireless mode, I have sidetone enabled, but I have the mic switch set to mute.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #3,637 of 7,191
I apologize in advance for the beginner question. I just got my Penrose X- and I love it. I’ve got a big head (wear a 7 3/4-8 hat) and I haven’t had any issues with comfort. Sound on series X is great, I use primarily for Warzone and can hear a few things my Rig 600 didn’t allow me to hear. In warzone at least it’s not a HUGE sound difference.
When I first set up my heat set, it seems everything must be controlled on the headset and due to the nature of Xbox can’t be controlled in the audio menu.
Game volume works fine, but WHAT does the microphone gain wheel do? I’ve put it all the way down, and all the way up. My mic level in audio Xbox settings stays the same, and my party says it’s the same sound. They said I sound good, but everyone said I’m a little quiet compared to last mic.
Sorry in advance if that’s a noob question, I’m not sure if gain adjusts the sensitivity of mic, or volume of mjc
It adjusts the sensitivity of your mic for others to hear. So if you roll it up in increases your gain and you will be louder to people in chat and the opposite if you roll it down

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #3,638 of 7,191
Has anyone else found the wooshing / windy sound still happens even after the latest firmware update that was supposed to fix it?

Heard it yesterday and now today, after a couple hours on Spotify and YouTube. It seems stronger on the left side, and comes and goes a bit. I'm using it in wireless mode, I have sidetone enabled, but I have the mic switch set to mute.

i haven't heard it yet, granted i only have about 2.5 hours on my head, but 2 of that was straight. no disconnects, no whooshing.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #3,639 of 7,191
It adjusts the sensitivity of your mic for others to hear. So if you roll it up in increases your gain and you will be louder to people in chat and the opposite if you roll it down
I finally came to this conclusion as well, it’s mic volume. However on Xbox it seems like there’s only a 2-3 click range. When I turn it all the way down, it’s basically a mute (nobody can hear anything). One click up and I’m quiet, 2 clicks up and beyond and chat reports no change at all. Seems like maybe there’s not quite the spectrum that was intended. I just leave it all the way up at this point but unless there’s more increments to adjust it’s not serving much function. Would much rather see it be used to change game/chat mix lol- The push in and scroll is awkward when wearing.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #3,640 of 7,191
OK, I played call of duty on ps5 for 5 hours doing my final testing on all three headsets. I rotated all headsets every single game. I really tried to love the Penrose, but they are being shipped back this week for a refund. They just don't sound anywhere near as good for Pure FPS as my Sennheiser Game One and mixamp. Now I am talking strictly multi-player and nothing else as that is all I use my headset for. If I was looking at playing a single player game, watching a movie, listening to music or just playing casually, the Penrose sound awesome and beat the Sennheiser hands down. Anything fps competitive, just can't compare the Penrose Soundstage to the open back of the Sennheiser, Sennheiser wins distinctively.

The Penrose are infinitely better sounding than the 7p. The 7p are a pretty bad sounding headphone when you compare them to the other two choices. After a few games, these were back in the box as they really are inferior both the Sennheiser and Penrose. If you are concerned about FPS multi-player get the Sennheiser Game one/pc38x and an amp. I also compared running these 50ohm Game Ones into the controller vs mixamp, literally no contest as the controller sounded subdued/muddied and the mixamp was way cleaner/clearer. Everything else, the Penrose would be better with way better bass.

So tomorrow I have to go return the 7p and then mail back the Penrose. I will probably try one more night of flip flopping just because the Penrose would be killer if I could get them 90% as good as the Sennheiser for FPS. If I cared about movies or music, I would keep these as they do sound great for immersion. Good luck to everyone here, hope these are exactly what you want.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #3,641 of 7,191
If you are concerned about FPS multi-player get the Sennheiser Game one/pc38x and an amp.

I am glad you have tested and found the solution you are happiest with out of the options you have available, and I appreciate your comparison between the Penrose and Arctic 7P, but at the same time I’m not sure recommending your wired, open back headset and amp setup is particularly relevant here? Surely if wireless weren’t a major selling point to people in this thread there are plenty of options available? I know personally that even though I play multiplayer FPS and had a pair of decent wired open back headphones, I bought the Penrose specifically because of the wireless closed back nature of them. Yes the soundstage isn’t as open, but I quite often have background noise when I’m playing and it doesn’t matter how open the soundstage is if I can’t even hear footsteps.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #3,642 of 7,191
I am glad you have tested and found the solution you are happiest with out of the options you have available, and I appreciate your comparison between the Penrose and Arctic 7P, but at the same time I’m not sure recommending your wired, open back headset and amp setup is particularly relevant here? Surely if wireless weren’t a major selling point to people in this thread there are plenty of options available? I know personally that even though I play multiplayer FPS and had a pair of decent wired open back headphones, I bought the Penrose specifically because of the wireless closed back nature of them. Yes the soundstage isn’t as open, but I quite often have background noise when I’m playing and it doesn’t matter how open the soundstage is if I can’t even hear footsteps.
Each situation is different as I have built myself a game room that is my personal space. I wanted the best headset for fps gaming and something that worked well with the ps5. That's how I found the Penrose. I put my experience there because there are going to be multiple people trying to find a headset for the ps5 and other forums with a color in their names, touted these as the second coming. So I decided to test all headsets head to head on my ears. To me wireless was nice but wires were not a deal breaker. You would be surprised that many people lurking or potential future Penrose customers may find this useful and help them in the process of their decision making. I even said other than pure fps, Penrose sounded superb. But my needs are different than the majority of gamers. I play one title and for the most part one game mode since 2007.I would never utilize Bluetooth or anything else. I set a 500 dollar budget and am looking for the best.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #3,643 of 7,191
Have been playing COD Warzone on PC and it improved significantly my location perception with Penrose.

On PS5 I only played Star Wars The Last Jedi and it sounds great.

Music is another story, no gaming headset that I ever put my hands on can get even close to Penrose. (I haven't tried PC38x, but this one is not an all-in-one solution)

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #3,644 of 7,191

I heard the whooshing very clearly with sidetone enabled. Switched it off and it was gone.

As I mentioned a while ago the mute button does absolutely nothing when I'm using wireless, still don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or if there's a problem with my headset? It works when I connect through USB (or at least I see in Audeze HQ that it's muted then). I've done complete gaming sessions with the button in mute position but they all heard me perfectly clear 🤔

What I'm trying to say is that the mute may not actually mute if on wireless, meaning the enabled sidetone is probably the cause of the whooshing sound?

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #3,645 of 7,191
I heard the whooshing very clearly with sidetone enabled. Switched it off and it was gone.

As I mentioned a while ago the mute button does absolutely nothing when I'm using wireless, still don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or if there's a problem with my headset? It works when I connect through USB (or at least I see in Audeze HQ that it's muted then). I've done complete gaming sessions with the button in mute position but they all heard me perfectly clear 🤔

What I'm trying to say is that the mute may not actually mute if on wireless, meaning the enabled sidetone is probably the cause of the whooshing sound?
Have you checked which MIC was picking the sound during those sessions? I have no problem with my mute buttom. But I had problems before with my system switching to a different MIC without me noticing the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back