Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,101 of 7,191
I am not going to gain anything with penrose planar versus steelseries astro??.?

Only wired headsets that measure up to the Penrose IMO are the ones made by actual headphone companies, such as Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic. Steelseries, HyperX, Logitech, Razr... these are companies that just so happen to also make devices that produce sound. Turtle Beach and Astro are a definitive step up, but they were never companies that looked to make high quality headphones and speakers. To put it simply, from a sound perspective the offerings of these companies can only dream about reaching the feet of the worst products from actual headphone companies.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #2,102 of 7,191
Okay that's odd. I removed the earcups and tried them and I can't perceive any imbalance at all. But taking the earcups off made me realize just how much the earcups themselves contribute to the sound itself, as the headphones sound dramatically different with them off.

And I realized that when I put the headphones on and they're off, the seal between the left and right earcup sounds different, like there's a different density in the foam or something. So I think the imbalance is coming from the earcups themselves, though I can't see any visible difference between the two.

So this might not be a driver issue after all.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #2,103 of 7,191
Hmm, swap the right pads wit the left one and see if the balance switches. And yes, ear pads can DRAMATICALLY alter sound of headphones. It's generally why I don't tend to pad swap in general in fear of losing the qualities of the headphone in general.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #2,105 of 7,191
Okay that's odd. I removed the earcups and tried them and I can't perceive any balance at all. But taking the earcups off made me realize just how much the earcups themselves contribute to the sound itself, as the headphones sound dramatically different with them off.

And I realized that when I put the headphones on and they're off, the seal between the left and right earcup sounds different, like there's a different density in the foam or something. So I think the imbalance is coming from the earcups themselves, though I can't see any visible difference between the two.

Both MLE and I did state that how you wear headphones really matter, which is also why changing ear pads can so often produce less than desirable results. The human head is not perfectly symmetrical. One side of the head can be shaped a bit differently. An ear could be slightly higher or lower, bigger or smaller. The closer sound is produced to our ears, the higher possibility we notice differences when we are hearing it off-axis. My suggestion is to wear the headphones in front of a mirror and see what makes the imbalance go away and what makes it stay.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #2,106 of 7,191
Hmmm yeah imbalance is still there, so maybe it's not the earcups. Could just be because I only hear higher frequencies without the earcups. Maybe a frequency response imbalance between the two drivers?

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,107 of 7,191
Both MLE and I did state that how you wear headphones really matter, which is also why changing ear pads can so often produce less than desirable results. The human head is not perfectly symmetrical. One side of the head can be shaped a bit differently. An ear could be slightly higher or lower, bigger or smaller. The closer sound is produced to our ears, the higher possibility we notice differences when we are hearing it off-axis. My suggestion is to wear the headphones in front of a mirror and see what makes the imbalance go away and what makes it stay.

I mean that could be the case, but I've never experienced this with any other headphones. Are planars just more likely to exhibit this for some reason?

I should mention that the imbalance is very slight. But it's enough to shift the sound left maybe an inch to the left within my head, which does make it somewhat noticeable.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #2,108 of 7,191
I mean that could be the case, but I've never experienced this with any other headphones. Are planars just more likely to exhibit this for some reason?

I should mention that the imbalance is very slight. But it's enough to shift the sound left maybe an inch to the left within my head, which does make it somewhat noticeable.

Headphone design or issues with the headphones would cause this. If one cup is loose or the pad foam is different, it can cause this. If the placement of an ear pad is off when wearing headphones, it can cause this. Hell, even excessive ear wax can cause it though that tends to be more consistent. One of the drivers being defective can cause it.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,110 of 7,191
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,111 of 7,191
Are the earpads big enough for everyone?
I mean i had playstation gold headset and they were way to small thar hurt my ears

I have astro a50 gen3 and they are ok. I wish a bit larger but i am okey with astroa50 playing long sessions

The other day i had to send back the new Sony WH1000XM4 because from the moment i put them on they were hurting my ears ( hurting the width) from right to left of my ear

So if anyone could tell me how the width od these penrose are

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #2,114 of 7,191

The best way to identify imbalance is using mono. If you can play a mono test track it will be obvious if three is an imbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back