Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,089 of 7,191
I took issue with clamp force on the Mobius as well as the Penrose. The pillow tech is exactly what I did on both.

You take a pillow, fold it over (think of the pillow making an upside down v shape) , and place the headphones on it. Leave it overnight or a day you're busy doing something else and not using it. This will reduce clamp to the point it becomes most a non-issue.

I still take note with the top of the headband leaving a sore spot on top of my head after a very lengthy use period, but it's far for the worst at that. I'd say the comfort after the pillow tech is decent to good. Could be better, but could be much worse.

Mind you, I'm one of the strictest in terms of comfort, so practically no headphone for me gets very high marks. The most comfortable Audeze for me may be the LCD-1 in terms of general comfort, though the new LCD-2 and above's headband is one of the greatest headbands I can think of.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2,090 of 7,191
I took issue with clamp force on the Mobius as well as the Penrose. The pillow tech is exactly what I did on both.

You take a pillow, fold it over (think of the pillow making an upside down v shape) , and place the headphones on it. Leave it overnight or a day you're busy doing something else and not using it. This will reduce clamp to the point it becomes most a non-issue.

I still take note with the top of the headband leaving a sore spot on top of my head after a very lengthy use period, but it's far for the worst at that. I'd say the comfort after the pillow tech is decent to good. Could be better, but could be much worse.

Mind you, I'm one of the strictest in terms of comfort, so practically no headphone for me gets very high marks. The most comfortable Audeze for me may be the LCD-1 in terms of general comfort, though the new LCD-2 and above's headband is one of the greatest headbands I can think of.

So for you, i am going to gain so much with the penrose playing my games than other common headphones?

By the way i ordered the headphone stand from aliexpress so I guess that works like the pillow

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #2,091 of 7,191
Alright I have another issue. I need to compare with aux and on the PS5 to see if it affects everything, but the audio is left-shifted on Bluetooth. Things that should be centered sound like they're coming from the left slightly. I thought my right ear was a bit blocked so I turned the headphones around 180 degrees and confirmed the balance was off.

Will report back soon.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #2,092 of 7,191
So for you, i am going to gain so much with the penrose playing my games than other common headphones?

By the way i ordered the headphone stand from aliexpress so I guess that works like the pillow
No. The Penrose is an excellent wireless headphone, but in terms of gaining or losing next to standard headphones, the answer is no. I'd personally get the Penrose if you want the wireless functionality and the other extra options like bluetooth. I can't think of a better wireless headphone. The Panda is up there but it's bluetooth, so not lag free, so not ideal for wireless gaming. I also think the Penrose is a little bit more exciting overall.

If you don't care for wireless or need a headset, there are plenty, plenty of fantastic wired headphones.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #2,093 of 7,191
No. The Penrose is an excellent wireless headphone, but in terms of gaining or losing next to standard headphones, the answer is no. I'd personally get the Penrose if you want the wireless functionality and the other extra options like bluetooth. I can't think of a better wireless headphone. The Panda is up there but it's bluetooth, so not lag free, so not ideal for wireless gaming. I also think the Penrose is a little bit more exciting overall.

If you don't care for wireless or need a headset, there are plenty, plenty of fantastic wired headphones.

I am not going to gain anything with penrose planar versus steelseries astro??.?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #2,094 of 7,191
Oh, in terms of those, ABSOLUTELY. The sound quality of the Penrose is a league above the Astros. I haven't heard Steelseries, but from people I know, sound quality ain't gonna come close to the Penrose.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #2,095 of 7,191
Yep, there's an imbalance in the volume levels of my drivers. It's obvious by clicking the input switch button "bluetooth", "aux", "wireless". Comes out stronger in the left earcup. If I switch the headset around, it's then stronger on my right ear, so it's the drivers. It became obvious to me when listening to Diana Krall since I was really used to her voice being perfectly centered in my head, but she's clearly off center which just sounds off.

Is there anything I can do other than mess around with system settings on every one of my system to adjust the balance? Not sure if this is fixable without sending them back.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,096 of 7,191
A general driver imbalance is enough for me to contact them for a replacement.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #2,097 of 7,191
Yep, there's an imbalance in the volume levels of my drivers. It's obvious by clicking the input switch button "bluetooth", "aux", "wireless". Comes out stronger in the left earcup. If I switch the headset around, it's then stronger on my right ear, so it's the drivers. It became obvious to me when listening to Diana Krall since I was really used to her voice being perfectly centered in my head, but she's clearly off center which just sounds off.

Is there anything I can do other than mess around with system settings on every one of my system to adjust the balance? Not sure if this is fixable without sending them back.

I absolutely agree with MLE. These are $300 headsets that you are purchasing and the reason you are purchasing them is for sound quality. If there is an issue that takes away from that, I would reach out to support. Before that though, I would make sure the balance is correct in the PS5 sound settings if that exists.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,099 of 7,191
I absolutely agree with MLE. These are $300 headsets that you are purchasing and the reason you are purchasing them is for sound quality. Before that though, I would make sure the balance is correct in the PS5 sound settings if that exists.

I tested through aux where other headphones are perfectly balanced, as well as through my PS5 and over Bluetooth on my iPhone.

The thing is though, since these are internally amped, maybe it can just be addressed by adjusting the amp? Though I don't think a balance adjustment is available within the software, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back