Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #2,116 of 7,191
The Dekoni's show height and width which should be similar if not the same to Penrose

Yeah i checked that when you put those links but i don't think thats the measurement

61x41

61 well in the video he said 64 for the original ones
41 width is imposible lol i think

I have here a ps gold headset and it is
58x47 and they hurt but now checking numbers i wrote with a50 i guess it is the way they are built inside i guess the plastic under the earpads because astro ones after touching them they are deep till i find any plastic and the ps gold one now that i am checking almost as soon as i press i find plastic lol

And my astros a50 gen3 are
61x45

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,117 of 7,191
The best way to identify imbalance is using mono. If you can play a mono test track it will be obvious if three is an imbalance.

Good call. I set mono using iOS accessibility. Yeah it's ever so slightly left. Like an inch to the left in the inside of my head.

And again, swapping the headphones around 180 degrees results in the imbalance being on the other side, so I don't think it's my ears.

If this wasn't an audiophile device I probably wouldn't care. But at around $440 CAD after taxes and duties...I feel I need to expect a certain level of quality.

After further listening, it sounds like the right driver is just slightly muffled.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #2,119 of 7,191
The Mic and the audio playback are two different paths, Audio quality is our number one priority and it will remain unaffected while improving voice clarity of the mic via DSP.
I’ve been saving up to get one nice gaming headset for the PS4/PS5. I really wanted it to be this but didn’t want to spend $300 if there were still a lot of kinks to be polished out. Now that sidetone has been corrected and the whooshing sound is projected to be fixed as well, I think the only big one left is the mic audio (someone correct me if I’m wrong). So I think I’ll pull the trigger! Any ETA for this firmware fix?

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #2,120 of 7,191
Thanks this is helpful! Have you or anyone else tried these replacements with the Penrose? Since ear pads can drastically change the sound signature and comfort, I’m hesitant to throw down $60 for a pair without knowing how it’ll affect overall experience. I just know I definitely want something to replace the candy blue default pads.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #2,121 of 7,191
I don't want to lose the LCD series because of the Penrose.

You have my support Audeze. :)
Only wired headsets that measure up to the Penrose IMO are the ones made by actual headphone companies, such as Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic. Steelseries, HyperX, Logitech, Razr... these are companies that just so happen to also make devices that produce sound. Turtle Beach and Astro are a definitive step up, but they were never companies that looked to make high quality headphones and speakers. To put it simply, from a sound perspective the offerings of these companies can only dream about reaching the feet of the worst products from actual headphone companies.
Actually Logitech owns a couple "audio" focused brands. So they have the know-how, jusr don't implement it for some reason. :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,123 of 7,191
I'd say the comfort after the pillow tech is decent to good. Could be better, but could be much worse.

Mind you, I'm one of the strictest in terms of comfort, so practically no headphone for me gets very high marks.

Any chance you're gonna try out the Dekoni pads with the Mobius? Nowhere on the internet can I find opinions from someone who's bought the Mobius/Penrose Dekoni pads... Also, what do you think about this mod for the Penrose? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-214#post-14866353

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #2,124 of 7,191
Nov 26, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #2,127 of 7,191
A general driver imbalance is enough for me to contact them for a replacement.
[/QUOTE
No. The Penrose is an excellent wireless headphone, but in terms of gaining or losing next to standard headphones, the answer is no. I'd personally get the Penrose if you want the wireless functionality and the other extra options like bluetooth. I can't think of a better wireless headphone. The Panda is up there but it's bluetooth, so not lag free, so not ideal for wireless gaming. I also think the Penrose is a little bit more exciting overall.

If you don't care for wireless or need a headset, there are plenty, plenty of fantastic wired headphones.

MLE I’m still waiting for my Penrose to arrive but I honestly might return them and get something wired if it’s better. I plan on using it mainly for gaming on Ps5 and for competitive FPS games like R6, Overwatch etc. My only preference is a good soundstage and imaging for footsteps. Competitive advantage > better sound quality. My budget is $650 or less, wired is fine for me and I can always get a mod mic separately if it doesn’t come with one.

Sorry for deterring from the thread I just would like your opinion on the best headsets for Competitive FPS gaming. Thank you MLE.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #2,129 of 7,191
Ok, I think finally hear the whoosh people are talking about at very low volumes. Almost like a noise gate gets opened up for a moment then gets closed again.

How do you guys even find things like this? I mean, I'd have to be playing at a personally, abnormally low volume to truly notice it. At moderate to high volumes, it's not noticeable to me. Fortunately, it's gonna be something of the past soon enough.

Any chance you're gonna try out the Dekoni pads with the Mobius? Nowhere on the internet can I find opinions from someone who's bought the Mobius/Penrose Dekoni pads... Also, what do you think about this mod for the Penrose? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-214#post-14866353
It's a possibility. I'll get in touch with them about it, though I'm waiting on measurements first, which I hear they'll be doing at some point.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,130 of 7,191
MLE I’m still waiting for my Penrose to arrive but I honestly might return them and get something wired if it’s better. I plan on using it mainly for gaming on Ps5 and for competitive FPS games like R6, Overwatch etc. My only preference is a good soundstage and imaging for footsteps. Competitive advantage > better sound quality. My budget is $650 or less, wired is fine for me and I can always get a mod mic separately if it doesn’t come with one.

Sorry for deterring from the thread I just would like your opinion on the best headsets for Competitive FPS gaming. Thank you MLE.
Uh, not the right thread for this (you can ask on my guide where people will help you), but I don't generally give personal recommendations due to so much variances with what people like, want, and need. There's no such thing as that one headphone for everything for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back