Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #2,071 of 7,191
I want to ask the ones who have the Penrose about

clamp force : are they comfy to play 8 hours without hurting your ears??

Are they design for big ears? I mean there ar some headphones that hurts because they are way to small for my ears

Sound: is it much much better than astro a50 ( i have gen3) or steelseries??. I only want them for playstation and all kind of games

P. S. I really hate the design with the blue colour buuuuut if the sound is amazing i don't really care

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #2,072 of 7,191
Hi all - just wanted to get an update/summary of the last 50+ pages of this forum because every time I refresh it seems as though there are loads of updates!

1) It seems like the woosh noise is going to be fixed with the latest update
2) Seems like the mic is going to also be improved
3) The UK seems to be starting shipping this week which hopefully means this will arrive late next week or the w/c 7th of December which is positive.

Is there anything else I missed?

From what I have read it seems as though most of these issues are minor/fixable. I am very excited to receive my headset in the UK soon!

Quack.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,074 of 7,191
Got mine for a few days but I am going to return them.
  • Clamp force is too much
  • Missing features like turning off sidetone and no support for iOS, Penrose will likely not work on Xbox (use both consoles). I know some of these will be address but don’t like to spend money on a future promise of a feature.
  • I live in a “noisy” environment in the WiFi sense and theres cutouts and static crunchy noises every now and then
  • Still prefer the sound signature of my Fostex TH-600’s plugged in to the controller’s 3.5mm jack

They sound nice enough, but there’s too much going against them for my personal use case to keep them

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,075 of 7,191
Got mine for a few days but I am going to return them.
  • Missing features like turning off sidetone and no support for iOS, Penrose will likely not work on Xbox (use both consoles). I know some of these will be address but don’t like to spend money on a future promise of a feature.
  • I live in a “noisy” environment in the WiFi sense and theres cutouts and static crunchy noises every now and then
  • Still prefer the sound signature of my Fostex TH-600’s plugged in to the controller’s 3.5mm jack

They sound nice enough, but there’s too much going against them for my personal use case to keep them

There is a video on YouTube and he says after a couple of days the clamp force is okey now

And what about cuts? Do you have it with the dongle on PlayStation? Does it cut the sound from time to time you mean.??

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,076 of 7,191
There is a video on YouTube and he says after a couple of days the clamp force is okey now

And what about cuts? Do you have it with the dongle on PlayStation? Does it cut the sound from time to time you mean.??

Yes, I’ve used them wirelessly with the dongle on my PS4 Pro the entire time as that is the main point of these. Cut out sounds like they go mute for half a second or less and then the audio comes back.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #2,077 of 7,191
Yes, I’ve used them wirelessly with the dongle on my PS4 Pro the entire time as that is the main point of these. Cut out sounds like they go mute for half a second or less and then the audio comes back.

Wow i didn't expect that. I know astro a50 gen3 and 4 had trouble with that and they fixed it via firmware

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2,078 of 7,191

The news about the firmware fixes are great but this is where I’m at now as well. Two days of use so far and the clamp is painful for long term use. Shame because the sound is great (whoosh aside) and I’m not having any of the reported issues with connectivity or quality that others are reporting. I’m hoping a break in period helps.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,082 of 7,191
But this is a Bluetooth device not a 2.4 Ghz lossless Wireless device, correct?

From the reading I did last night on these they are indeed 2.4Ghz with ability to do simultaneous Bluetooth like the Penrose. I’m also an iOS user with no access to a PC other than taking them to work with me- which I will do to disable sidetone but If there is ANY way possible to get an iOS app you will make a HUGE portion of your user base happy. It’s something that will have to be there if you’re going to be successful with the widespread market and not just audiophiles.

I am still all on board and excited to get my Penrose X. I personally don’t have any problem with communication so far, I’m happy you’ve addressed working on fixes that people have brought up. You guys seem like a great company and hope this can be a product that is a hit for you.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,084 of 7,191
clamp force : are they comfy to play 8 hours without hurting your ears??

I would say no. If you're looking at using them 8 hours straight, I'd go comfort first over sound quality. My Hyper X Cloud are supremely comfortable, and I can wear them all day.

The Penrose aren't terrible, but the clamp and top band do exert some noticeable pressure that it starts to bother me a bit after a half hour or so.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,085 of 7,191
Oh man, Rush - Tom Sawyer is a great showpiece for these. Neil Pert is just coming to life with the planar drivers. The way the synth envelops you is great.

The only thing I'm noticing for music is that if you angle the cups towards your head, the soundstage feels more pleasent and slightly forward. Unfortunately it exerts to much pressure in front of the ear to make it feasible to use them like this. Otherwise, a lot of the sound feels like it's coming from beside and behind you. That being said, that was the right choice to make with a gaming headphone, especially with 3D audio as a concern. Might be nice to have some modified cups that angle the cups for music.

That's probably just my preference though. I've always enjoyed a forward soundstage.

Still, I can't stop listening to Rush, damn that sounds good.

One slight nitpick: I feel like a lower gain amp with a lower noise floor would have been just fine for these. I can't imagine going higher than half volume on these. Full volume would definitely cause hearing damage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back