Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #1,412 of 7,191
Uh no, I did not say that. I said I prefer the Mobius for gaming when it was connected via USB cable. The Mobius was good at music and movies too. I prefer the DT770 for music and movies as it is a more neutral headphone and more comfortable and I can use it with a amp/DAC of my preference.

Mobious supposedly sound nearly identicle to penrose
Blimey - this thread has moved some overnight!

It's unfortunate the Penrose is not hitting the spot in so many ways at this stage, yet the one thing it does right (sound quality) has been buried behind the problems a little. Seems to me a lot of this has come from certain features/functions (or lack) that people expected - not defending them or using the same excuses at all but perhaps communication of the various feature choices (Windows Volume functions, iOS app etc) would have been more accurate or easier had we not been going through the pandemic. It's putting pressure on big companies, can only imagine how hard it makes it for a small team.

Really hope tweaks can be made to appeal to most of you - think I'm out though. Tested my Drop PC38x on the PS5 Dualsense last night and the controller seems to drive them better than the PS4 pad. While I'd love a quality wireless set (I have the Pulse 3D but don't class them in that category!) as I hate cables and it would be useful for all my video meetings, if wireless comes with as many compromises as this thread is indicating (iOS/Mac OS house/business), I can't justify the price premium.

Will be keeping an eye on how things develop in the New Year to see how things change and hope you all get the experience you want from these.

I'm sticking with my Beyer DT770's and replacing my older receiver to gain eArc HDMI for lossless LPCM which by passes the need to send a video signal to the receiver via regular HDMI.. Too many compromises in regards to the Penrose by the sounds of things and i dont want a downgrade in quality when listening to music and watching movies and only have the Penrose's sounding potentially better for gaming. I want an audiophile grade wireless set of cans that can do it all, but i'm also not willing to drop anymore than $499 CAD. $399 CAD for a set of cans solely for gaming and then having to use my 'wired' Beyers for movies and music isn't worth it for me. Wireless i'm guessing just isn't really there yet unless you're willing to spend a lot more money.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #1,413 of 7,191
First people are pissed that they're not out yet, then there's complaining the product released too soon.

Reminds me of those that complain when a game gets delayed and wants them to hurry, then turn around and tell everyone to stop rushing games, causing crunch.

You really can't win with general consumers, lol.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,414 of 7,191
First people are pissed that they're not out yet, then there's complaining the product released too soon.

Reminds me of those that complain when a game gets delayed and wants them to hurry, then turn around and tell everyone to stop rushing games, causing crunch.

People are mad because the product falls short, and Audeze led people on about the delivery window

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,415 of 7,191

They explicitly promised expedited shipping, and people pre-ordered with expectations of a quality product given Audeze's reputation. Based on what I've read, some of those expectations weren't met.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,416 of 7,191
They explicitly promised expedited shipping, and people pre-ordered with expectations of a quality product given Audeze's reputation. Based on what I've read, some of those expectations weren't met.

Exactly, They also said that all pre-orders were to be completed by today. But I ordered back in August and have not even heard a peep about mine being shipped.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,417 of 7,191
Just got my pair today. Audio quality is great as expected. The mic sounds decent, can't really say it's better or worse than mobius. The combo wireless + bluetooth is really nice and convenient. Clamping force is a bit much, but the Mobius were similarly tight at first.

My only concern is the lack of battery information (unless I'm missing it). In order to see what the status of the battery is, I need to connect to Bluetooth and look at the battery widget. Maybe we can click a side button and the nice lady will tell us in our earhole? Or is there not a way to get this displayed in windows somehow? Logitech app shows mouse battery, so I assume it's technically possible.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #1,418 of 7,191
They finally finished charging. Some initial thoughts after a bit of quick usage...
  • With sidetone enabled, there is a noticeable audio hiss. With it disabled, if you listen hard for it, you can still hear noise but it's very minimal.
  • Audio quality is fantastic. I included a list of songsI used to test the range of the Penrose below. Sound is crystal clear at all ranges with bass hitting both low and hard. There is weight in both the mids and low bass, which is really important to me because that's what provides the richness and texture.
  • The Windows 10 volume slider does NOT control the headphones, neither do volume adjustments within JRiver though iTunes does for some reason.
  • Audeze HQ could not be more barebones. Thankfully my intended interactions with it will be minimal, but I at least expected to see a battery indicator there. I also find the entire pane devoted to "Device Info" to be a huge waste.
  • Passive seal is pretty meh. When there is no sound playing, I can easily hear the AC unit in its closet outside of my room with my door closed.
  • As I start listening to more orchestral music, the soundstage and sound separation is pretty impressive actually.
Songs for testing
  • Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize
  • Daft Punk - Tron Armory
  • Pentatonix - Sound of Silence
  • Pentatonix - Hallelujah
  • Dimash - SOS d'un terrien en detresse
  • Earth, Wind, and Fire - Boogie Wonderland
  • Big Bang - Fantastic Baby
  • Adele - Set Fire to the Rain
  • Brahms - Symphony No.1 in C minor Op.68
  • Rousseau - Flight of the Bumblebee
Extended comfort and usage
  • Pads are quickly heating up after about half an hour of usage
  • Clamping is moderately tight, but not uncomfortably so

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,419 of 7,191
The side-eye that penetrates hearts :)

What’s your initial thoughts on the sound quality?

I have barely listened to them so my impressions are very nascent, but they sound very similar (virtually identical) to the Mobius I just sold about 10 days ago before these Penrose came in. I will miss the "3D" effect on the Mobius that made it sound more like speakers as that tempered the aggressiveness of the sound. The tuning just feels "safe" to me, and it doesn't sound as fast to me as my EL-8 Closed (or EL-8 Open), but if I play too loudly, it immediately feels too aggressive, and compressed.

But an order of magnitude better than the ATH-G1WL wireless headphones which I already literally gifted to someone to get them out of my possession lol. I think my brain will need to adjust to the Penrose (I used my Mobius only sporadically as the convenience wasn't there for me for Zoom since it required a wire -- and if I'm going to be tethered, I'm using my mixer hooked up to to the Liquid Spark and using my HE-5XX or better cans than a closed planar)....

I love, LOVE the convenience of simultaneous sound streams from my iPhone via BT and my computer over 2.4GHz, the mic is definitely better on the Penrose versus the Mobius, and I actually do enjoy listening to music on the Penrose even if it's not as good as my wired cans.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #1,420 of 7,191
I think what a lot of us are wondering is the sound quality better than any of the other wireless headsets for console on the market today? Consider all headsets no matter the price which if any are better and if not which are the closest to the penrose?. I am talking about the sound quality on console too as that’s all I will be using them for.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,421 of 7,191
I think what a lot of us are wondering is the sound quality better than any of the other wireless headsets for console on the market today? Consider all headsets no matter the price which if any are better and if not which are the closest to the penrose?. I am talking about the sound quality on console too as that’s all I will be using them for.

Not trying to be rude here, but why is this even still a question? The Mobius has been out for a while and latency drops from BT aside, beats out all wireless headsets in the same price range. The Penrose sounds the same as the Mobius from what I can recall, so by transitive property, you can extrapolate that the Penrose also beats out all wireless headsets in the same price range. Astro A50 probably comes the closest, but the Penrose noticeably beats it. As for console, don't know as the only console I own is a Dreamcast.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,422 of 7,191
They finally finished charging. Some initial thoughts after a bit of quick usage...
  • With sidetone enabled, there is a noticeable audio hiss. With it disabled, if you listen hard for it, you can still hear noise but it's very minimal.
  • Audio quality is fantastic. I included a list of sounds I used to test the range of the Penrose below. Sound is crystal clear at all ranges with bass hitting both low and hard. There is weight in both the mids and low bass, which is really important to me because that's what provides the richness and texture.
  • The Windows 10 volume slider does NOT control the headphones, neither do volume adjustments within JRiver though iTunes does for some reason.
  • Audeze HQ could not be more barebones. Thankfully my intended interactions with it will be minimal, but I at least expected to see a battery indicator there. I also find the entire pane devoted to "Device Info" to be a huge waste.
  • Passive seal is pretty meh. When there is no sound playing, I can easily hear the AC unit in its closet outside of my room with my door closed.
Songs for testing
  • Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize
  • Daft Punk - Tron Armory
  • Pentatonix - Sound of Silence
  • Pentatonix - Hallelujah
  • Dimash - SOS d'un terrien en detresse
  • Earth, Wind, and Fire - Boogie Wonderland
  • Big Bang - Fantastic Baby
  • Adele - Set Fire to the Rain
Extended comfort and usage
  • Pads are quickly heating up after about half an hour of usage
  • Clamping is moderately tight, but not uncomfortably so
How is the mic quality in wireless mode?

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,423 of 7,191
The Windows 10 volume slider does NOT control the headphones, neither do volume adjustments within JRiver though iTunes does for some reason.
So you’re saying that with Windows set with the headphones/dongle as the output, you can have the volume slider at 0 or 50 or 100 and the out put from the headset is identical‽ I just don’t understand how they can have done this.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,424 of 7,191
How is the mic quality in wireless mode?

Honestly, don't know. None of my friends are currently on discord for me to talk to.

So you’re saying that with Windows set with the headphones/dongle as the output, you can have the volume slider at 0 or 50 or 100 and the headset is the same volume‽ I just don’t understand how they can have done this.

That is correct. iTunes however works, which boggles my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back