Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,426 of 7,191
so presumably then if you open out the full volume mixer andturn down the relative volume on discord or Chrome that also does nothing?
That is going to be a dealbreaker for me if so, and I’ll have to cancel my preorder.

Volume mixer works, device volume control does NOT work, however if I play Youtube video in Chrome and adjust the volume, that works.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #1,427 of 7,191
Not trying to be rude here, but why is this even still a question? The Mobius has been out for a while and latency drops from BT aside, beats out all wireless headsets in the same price range. The Penrose sounds the same as the Mobius from what I can recall, so by transitive property, you can extrapolate that the Penrose also beats out all wireless headsets in the same price range. Astro A50 probably comes the closest, but the Penrose noticeably beats it. As for console, don't know as the only console I own is a Dreamcast.

LMAO by transitive property. This is quite the try hard post. Thanks for the laugh.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,429 of 7,191
First people are pissed that they're not out yet, then there's complaining the product released too soon.

Reminds me of those that complain when a game gets delayed and wants them to hurry, then turn around and tell everyone to stop rushing games, causing crunch.

You really can't win with general consumers, lol.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen a single claim that they have been released "too soon", just a decent amount of disappointment that what are considered basic features for competing headphones are not also standard or present on the Penrose as people finally get their product.

I don't expect any company to release any product and give a list of feature/functions it DOESN'T do, that would be moronic. One fo the issues here is the poor/vague information that has been provided, leading to many making simple assumptions.

I don't know anything of Audeze's product development, but one thing I do in mine, and push for all the brands I distribute to do, is have people outside of the product interact with it very early on. Sometimes you are so close to the item, you make assumptions yourself that of course you'll have X,Y or Z, but you never actually specified it, so it doesn't eventuate. You want two groups to test, one with some involvement in the category that will try to test specific things and have a base knowledge of what the category expects, and the other, completely foreign so they are coming with 100% ignorance and will ask those very needed dumb questions.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,430 of 7,191
Mobious supposedly sound nearly identicle to penrose

I'm sticking with my Beyer DT770's and replacing my older receiver to gain eArc HDMI for lossless LPCM which by passes the need to send a video signal to the receiver via regular HDMI.. Too many compromises in regards to the Penrose by the sounds of things and i dont want a downgrade in quality when listening to music and watching movies and only have the Penrose's sounding potentially better for gaming. I want an audiophile grade wireless set of cans that can do it all, but i'm also not willing to drop anymore than $499 CAD. $399 CAD for a set of cans solely for gaming and then having to use my 'wired' Beyers for movies and music isn't worth it for me. Wireless i'm guessing just isn't really there yet unless you're willing to spend a lot more money.
From reading the past few pages of complaints, the compromise isn't in the sound quality though. And someone also said they still prefer the sound quality of the Penrose over their Beyer's as an answer to you before.

Other than the functionality of its use on PC and the omission of the game/chat mix for PlayStation since they restrict that to their own headsets, Audeze seems to still have delivered on what they are best known for right? Sound Quality.

I'm new to this company as well and I was primarily looking for a next step in audio quality compared to the other headsets I've used in the past and these seem to be delivering on the front. Yet all of the noise seems to be for everything else but sound quality.

That is significantly worse than the mic samples that Audeze provided. Thats disappointing. I didnt expect them to lie about it
Listening to the sound samples and the example from this youtube vid back to back, the wireless sounds similar.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,432 of 7,191
LOL.. they're not so bad, I'm using them for work Zoom calls, and don't really care, the blue is very.. blue... but it's only on a very thin part of the unit so it's not at all bothering me a whit, it's certainly more subtle than the Mobius colorways.

1605908701446.jpeg

Those are so blue it should have been tagged as NSFW instead fo Spoiler.

Thanks for the pic.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,437 of 7,191
Thanks, very muted/muddled, not even remotely close to the Audeze Soundcloud sample -

Not as is tinny as most gaming mics though.

Keep in mind, we have no idea what sort of environment those samples were recorded in. To expand upon things further, my room is NOT a recording studio. I don't have acoustic panels and am using a free recording software that came with Windows. The mic is also off angle from my mouth and about an inch and a half away.

UPDATE:
A couple of friends were on my discord, so I hopped on to test. They could hear me clearly and say I sound fine. They did say however that it doesn't sound as good as the Shure MV5 that I usually use, which is about 1.5-2ft away and 6 inches below mouth level.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #1,438 of 7,191
Keep in mind, we have no idea what sort of environment those samples were recorded in. To expand upon things further, my room is NOT a recording studio. I don't have acoustic panels and am using a free recording software that came with Windows. The mic is also off angle from my mouth and about an inch and a half away.
Yeah, the samples posted in that Reddit link are probably the best example as there are multiple comparison in the same environment.
From these tests, it's quite clear that Wireless bandwidth limitation is the biggest problem here, wired Penrose sounds good.

Various Mics that represent what most users will probably be using.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,440 of 7,191
So I took them off after close to an hour and felt an immediate rush of cool air on my ears. For reference, it is currently 75 degrees in my room at 32% humidity. Just like the Mobius, these are NOT breathable and your ears will get hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back