Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 16, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #6,587 of 7,191
To update with a clearer answer:

No the preset names are in FW, there is no easy way to rename if you want to remember it across devices.

So doesn't look like a possibility for the Penrose.
But you can change the software so that it is remember on the one device. Doesn't need to synchronise across all devices. If someone then wants to update the preset names on both PC and Android app, for example, then they could choose to do that. At least in the software it will remember it.
So don't dismiss it as an option so easily.

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #6,588 of 7,191
I wonder how the Penrose with the Acoustic Space Preset(Which was my favorite preset when i had the penrose) & Bass Increased with it's EQ setting would fair against the new Beyer Dynamic DT700 Pro X(+ a DAC). I'd personally put my money on the DT700's simply because they're a headphone and not a headset, even after EQ settings are dialed in. I'm just waiting for the day when a wireless 2.4ghz head'phone' can match the sound quality of the beyers. might be a while i guess unless some company steps up and releases a higher end more expensive model that beats out the Penrose.

When i had the Penrose it was an unfair match against my other pair of DT770's....I artificially had the bass increased to +6 on my receiver(now i have my DT770's bass set half way on my DAC's EQ settings) but with the penrose i didn't increase the bass at all with it's EQ settings.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #6,589 of 7,191
I wonder how the Penrose with the Acoustic Space Preset & Bass Increased with it's EQ setting would fair against the new Beyer Dynamic DT700 Pro X(+ a DAC). I'd personally put my money on the DT700's simply because they're a headphone and not a headset, even after EQ settings are dialed in. I'm just waiting for the day when a wireless 2.4ghz head'phone' can match the sound quality of the beyers. might be a while i guess unless some company steps up and releases a higher end more expensive model that beats out the Penrose.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #6,591 of 7,191
To update with a clearer answer:

No the preset names are in FW, there is no easy way to rename if you want to remember it across devices.

So doesn't look like a possibility for the Penrose.
Being able to rename the presets on each device, while not ideal, would be better than not being able to rename them at all. Apple users only get to use 1 device in the first place.

At the moment, if I want to remember what I have assigned to preset 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, the only option is to put post-it notes on my computer monitor.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #6,592 of 7,191
Hey guys, I sent my headphones back following some weird issues that were never resolved with software updates. I got a new pair through as a replacement and it appears that the left side is louder than the right. Is this a known issue that can happen? I really don't want to have to send back another pair if this is some weird setting I've missed... Any thoughts?

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #6,593 of 7,191
Hi, quick Question please can someone advise me how the mic gating % setting works ?

Is it that the

Lower the Percentage the Lower the Noise Level required to transmit down the Mic

and that the

Higher the Percentage Level the Higher the Noise Level required to transmit down the Mic

Many Thanks

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #6,595 of 7,191
Hi, quick Question please can someone advise me how the mic gating % setting works ?

Is it that the

Lower the Percentage the Lower the Noise Level required to transmit down the Mic

and that the

Higher the Percentage Level the Higher the Noise Level required to transmit down the Mic

Many Thanks
Maybe I don't understand the question entirely or whether you're interested if the gain is actually a gain/sensitivity setting when 100% or acts more like a mute when 0% and the gain overall not changed.

But the end result is the same, higher % = louder to the other person

Chris

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #6,596 of 7,191
Maybe I don't understand the question entirely or whether you're interested if the gain is actually a gain/sensitivity setting when 100% or acts more like a mute when 0% and the gain overall not changed.

But the end result is the same, higher % = louder to the other person

Chris
I thought it was more like a Gate that set the Threshold at which the Mic opened as was able to transmit your speech ?

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #6,597 of 7,191
I thought it was more like a Gate that set the Threshold at which the Mic opened as was able to transmit your speech ?

Hi

No - that would imply all or nothing. Which isn't what we hear.

Audezer did make some changes to the noise floor which I think is what you're asking, but that's not Microphone gain - It's slightly more technical than that but the end, to the layman not inside a recording studio, is that it acts to us like a volume control for our microphone. lower gain = Quieter voice or higher gain = louder voice.

https://hookeaudio.com/what-is-gain-on-a-microphone/#Gain_Vs_Volume
edit:
https://hookeaudio.com/what-is-gain...the_Microphone_Gain_affect_Microphone_Signals

Chris

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #6,598 of 7,191
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #6,599 of 7,191
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #6,600 of 7,191
Hey guys, I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music, a lot of Drum and Bass. I cannot find a preset that I like the sound of. If anyone has found something that works nicely for them would they mind letting me know, thanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back