Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 20, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #6,601 of 7,191
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #6,602 of 7,191
Hey guys, I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music, a lot of Drum and Bass. I cannot find a preset that I like the sound of. If anyone has found something that works nicely for them would they mind letting me know, thanks?
When i had them, my favorite preset was 'Acoustic Sound and Space'(something along those lines. The default preset was not good imo) and you also want to increase the Bass in the EQ settings. This might lower the overall volume just a smidge though.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #6,603 of 7,191
Thinking about ordering the Penrose through Amazon, just to see how they stack up against my DT700's with proper EQ adjustments(Bass increase ect) and replacing the ear pads which were pretty damn awful, i just couldn't adjust to them. Everything from the texture, clamping force and how hot my ears would get. I plan on getting the new DT700 Pro X's to replace my DT770's, but i kind of want to give the penrose a proper fair shot unlike last time where i completely ignored the EQ adjustments and just tested the presets. meanwhile my DT700's bass was artificially jacked with my Receivers EQ at +6 while the Penrose's was stuck at 0 default.

Anybody here have any experience with the DT700 Pro X's & Penrose?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #6,604 of 7,191
Anyone having issues with 2.4 and Bluetooth mode? I have the dongle plugged into my Xbox Series X and the Bluetooth connected to my Google Pixel 6.
After 15-30 minutes, the Bluetooth disconnects and the headset becomes unresponsive requiring a forced reset. The Xbox audio continues to work but none of the buttons or wheels work so I'm forced to reset the headset in order to adjust volume.

I exchanged my previous Penrose X because of this issue but it's still occurring on my replacement. Audeze support have not been able to find a solution.

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #6,605 of 7,191
Good Day,

I have been far from Audeze Penrose because I am one of the Customers that think that the lack of properly well implemented way to adjust Mix Chat with Penrose X and Xbox X Series, is a shame and an awful lack of Engineer sight. As a Civil Engineer I am possitive certain that with a decision like that I would have lost my job. All the rest are silly excuses... And I think I have some "degree" of right to complain, because I even, so as to support Audeze, bought both Penrose version, the X for my XBOX X Serie and the Blue one for my PS5. As I see it, the Mix/Chat control is fundamental during a Party Game because it is very common to find that a party member began talking louder or quieter so with the Mix/Chat Volume you easily correct that. So I really have two great complains about Penrose:

1.- As I said, the Mix/Chat Volume is a shame. So disapointed I was about that, that I bought an Steel Series 9X Headphone. Is is so easy with this unit to change Mix/Chat volume because it has a dedicated knob. The same with Astro A50..it has a lateral plate for that function. Was it so difficult to have thought in a design like that for Penrose X?

2.- When playing and you get a Phone Call, its so incredible that all the party can listen to your phone conversation!!! Again the SteelSeries 9X automatically mute the mic to the party and forward it to the phone call, so no one can listen what you talk. When the phone call is over, again automatically the Party listen to you. Even an old Turtle Beach P5 Headphone has this function. It was so difficult to do that????

But the problem is that the Penrose X is way better in audio quality so I miss this Headphone and want to give it a new try. So I have two questions:

1.- I can live with Phone Call issue, and manually mute the Party Chat in a Phone Call. But I didnt undertand very well the "both 2.4/Bluetooth" mode. It is correct that when you select Bluetooth mode, the Headphone in fact is in dual mode? I mean you keep playing with the console using 2.4Ghz but simultaneously the Headphone is "aware" of the phone connected by Bluetooth? It seems pretty obvious because you only pair you phone, not the console, using Bluetooth, but there is any lose in audio quality from the 2.4Ghz when conected to a phone using Bluetooth?

2.- Even though, as I have read, I can live with the solution of using Audez App in my Android phone to control Mix/Chat volume (but to justify the design problem, by an Audeze Official Supporter, saying that this is the solution, from my point of view is risky and lack of empathy towards a Customer, even though is in fact a solution (its like, for example, in your Car the A/C is bad implemented so Support tell you to drive with windows down instead)), I began using this solution long ago. But the lag I came (I mean you move a dial in your phone App and the Headphone answer seconds after to that input) when using the Android App was so noticeable that it prevent that method to be a solution. And it is not a problem with my phone which is a last gen one (Samsung Z Fold 3 5G). Is that Lag problem solved?

Thanks for your time...

Best Regards...

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #6,606 of 7,191
When do you guys think there will be a wireless 2.4ghz successor to the Penrose? Something that's more expensive, offers better sound quality, Ear pads(etc)
I settled for a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT700 Pro X Closed wired cans & a Soundblasterx G6 instead. I'll wait it out it just a little longer until something better comes around before ditching my wired all together. I feel like the Penrose is on the right track but it just isn't 'quite' there yet based on the time i spend with it.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #6,607 of 7,191
Good Day,

I have been far from Audeze Penrose because I am one of the Customers that think that the lack of properly well implemented way to adjust Mix Chat with Penrose X and Xbox X Series, is a shame and an awful lack of Engineer sight. As a Civil Engineer I am possitive certain that with a decision like that I would have lost my job. All the rest are silly excuses... And I think I have some "degree" of right to complain, because I even, so as to support Audeze, bought both Penrose version, the X for my XBOX X Serie and the Blue one for my PS5. As I see it, the Mix/Chat control is fundamental during a Party Game because it is very common to find that a party member began talking louder or quieter so with the Mix/Chat Volume you easily correct that. So I really have two great complains about Penrose:

1.- As I said, the Mix/Chat Volume is a shame. So disapointed I was about that, that I bought an Steel Series 9X Headphone. Is is so easy with this unit to change Mix/Chat volume because it has a dedicated knob. The same with Astro A50..it has a lateral plate for that function. Was it so difficult to have thought in a design like that for Penrose X?

2.- When playing and you get a Phone Call, its so incredible that all the party can listen to your phone conversation!!! Again the SteelSeries 9X automatically mute the mic to the party and forward it to the phone call, so no one can listen what you talk. When the phone call is over, again automatically the Party listen to you. Even an old Turtle Beach P5 Headphone has this function. It was so difficult to do that????

But the problem is that the Penrose X is way better in audio quality so I miss this Headphone and want to give it a new try. So I have two questions:

1.- I can live with Phone Call issue, and manually mute the Party Chat in a Phone Call. But I didnt undertand very well the "both 2.4/Bluetooth" mode. It is correct that when you select Bluetooth mode, the Headphone in fact is in dual mode? I mean you keep playing with the console using 2.4Ghz but simultaneously the Headphone is "aware" of the phone connected by Bluetooth? It seems pretty obvious because you only pair you phone, not the console, using Bluetooth, but there is any lose in audio quality from the 2.4Ghz when conected to a phone using Bluetooth?

2.- Even though, as I have read, I can live with the solution of using Audez App in my Android phone to control Mix/Chat volume (but to justify the design problem, by an Audeze Official Supporter, saying that this is the solution, from my point of view is risky and lack of empathy towards a Customer, even though is in fact a solution (its like, for example, in your Car the A/C is bad implemented so Support tell you to drive with windows down instead)), I began using this solution long ago. But the lag I came (I mean you move a dial in your phone App and the Headphone answer seconds after to that input) when using the Android App was so noticeable that it prevent that method to be a solution. And it is not a problem with my phone which is a last gen one (Samsung Z Fold 3 5G). Is that Lag problem solved?

Thanks for your time...

Best Regards...

1) is easy. It used to be the default actually for both 2.4 + BT at the same time. But too give some flexibility and presumably done battery saving they added a BT only mode which is new.
To distinguish the two they described differently via audio when you select. I like it, my only concern is that it defaults to BT + WiFi but if they defaulted to BT then someone else would complain and want it set back so I can live with that. Shame settings aren't remembered when powering up each day which would be ideal for everyone

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #6,608 of 7,191
Thanks for your reply... I always thought 2.4 + BT would produce less quality audio...
1) is easy. It used to be the default actually for both 2.4 + BT at the same time. But too give some flexibility and presumably done battery saving they added a BT only mode which is new.
To distinguish the two they described differently via audio when you select. I like it, my only concern is that it defaults to BT + WiFi but if they defaulted to BT then someone else would complain and want it set back so I can live with that. Shame settings aren't remembered when powering up each day which would be ideal for everyone
Thanks for yout reply...I always thought using 2.4+BT means a decreased audio quality...

Best Regards...

Jan 25, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #6,609 of 7,191
Whelp it finally happened.

Attachments

• 20220125_122406.jpg
    20220125_122406.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #6,611 of 7,191
So sorry to see that!!! How this happened...only by use? how much use?
Only by use. My right ear cup was feeling looser for awhile now the locking headband bard was very easy to move compared to the left ear. I have had the headset since November of 2020. I opened a ticket and Audeze has reached out to me but since its over a year since having this headset will likely be declined since its passed 1 year.

I just wish more headset makers would use a metal headband or something so this wouldn't happen.

Overall though I do love the headset as its the best sounding wireless headset I have ever used. My only complaints really is all plastic design and terrible wireless range. If they ever do this again that is what I would want them to improve.

Edit: Updated with correct warranty info.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #6,612 of 7,191
Only by use. My right ear cup was feeling looser for awhile now the locking headband bard was very easy to move compared to the left ear. I have had the headset since November of 2020. I opened a ticket and Audeze has reached out to me but since its over a year since having this headset will likely be declined since its 3 years on the driver only.

I just wish more headset makers would use a metal headband or something so this wouldn't happen.

Overall though I do love the headset as its the best sounding wireless headset I have ever used. My only complaints really is all plastic design and terrible wireless range. If they ever do this again that is what I would want them to improve.
I responded to you on that support ticket that we would be assisting you. It takes time for my support leads to get to everyone's emails, but they will get to you, rest assured.

Note: Penrose and Mobius warranty is 1 year on parts and drivers. It's 3 year drivers for the other headphones.

In the case of headband cracks, we go on a case by case basis, and will likely be able to provide a solution, even out of warranty.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #6,614 of 7,191
Only by use. My right ear cup was feeling looser for awhile now the locking headband bard was very easy to move compared to the left ear. I have had the headset since November of 2020. I opened a ticket and Audeze has reached out to me but since its over a year since having this headset will likely be declined since its 3 years on the driver only.

Again sorry to hear that...I have both, the blue and the green Penrose and I asked about details of your problem because I have always noted "how stiff" the headphones are. Even you have to apply some kind of force to put it on. So I have always had the feeling they may collapse in the same spot yours have failed.

Best Regards...

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #6,615 of 7,191
Yikes! This is why I avoided steel series because its a common issue and I now see this :'(
Its possible I was just unlucky or maybe I stressed it to much by the way I take it off? I have really only seen myself and one other person who had this problem in the thread.
I had already responded to you on that support ticket that we would be assisting you a few hours ago. It takes time for my support leads to get to everyone's emails, but they will get to you. If we were not going to help, I would've have told you immediately. That is not the case.

Note: Penrose and Mobius warranty is 1 year on parts and drivers. It's 3 year drivers for the other headphones.

In the case of headband cracks, we go on a case by case basis, and will likely be able to provide a solution, even out of warranty.
I appreciate how fast your response was to my ticket Audeze support has always been really good when I needed to contact you guys. I was just updating thread with my experience with the headset. I absolutely love the headset, and I hope Audeze makes new ones in the future too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back