Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 26, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #6,616 of 7,191
I responded to you on that support ticket that we would be assisting you. It takes time for my support leads to get to everyone's emails, but they will get to you, rest assured.

Note: Penrose and Mobius warranty is 1 year on parts and drivers. It's 3 year drivers for the other headphones.

In the case of headband cracks, we go on a case by case basis, and will likely be able to provide a solution, even out of warranty.

Thanks God in Europe is 3 years from 2022 onwards

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #6,618 of 7,191
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #6,620 of 7,191
I'll be ordering a Pair in the next couple of weeks.
Based on my past experience the 'Acoustic Space and Sound' Preset sounded the best. Bass needs be increased a little in the EQ Settings, and the Ear Pads need to be swapped with something else entirely because those things were pretty awful. I hated the material and how they'd make my ears feel hot.

I wonder when Audeze will release a Successor to the Penrose, with better Audio, even if it means i've got to drop over $599 instead of $399 CAD. :p I want a wireless pair of 2.4ghz planer magnetic headphones that can at least match something like a Beyer Dynamic DT700 Pro X. Penrose is definitely on the right track and it's such a super easy convenient plug & play purchase instead of buying a good pair of wired cans, finding the right DAC, and then a HUB/Splitter, and potentially more cables....Most people with the following set up have cables running every where and it looks like complete crap. But I've found a way to make it look like there's zero Dac, Wires or Hub in sight.

But, i'm still tired of being tethered to the Headphone cable itself, and then having to mess with my DAC's volume dial every time my Soundblasterx G6 turns on since the volume is automatically decreased for some weird reason instead of being maxed or saved to how I had it set prior.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #6,621 of 7,191
I'll be ordering a Pair in the next couple of weeks.
Based on my past experience the 'Acoustic Space and Sound' Preset sounded the best. Bass needs be increased a little in the EQ Settings, and the Ear Pads need to be swapped with something else entirely because those things were pretty awful. I hated the material and how they'd make my ears feel hot.

I wonder when Audeze will release a Successor to the Penrose, with better Audio, even if it means i've got to drop over $599 instead of $399 CAD. :p I want a wireless pair of 2.4ghz planer magnetic headphones that can at least match something like a Beyer Dynamic DT700 Pro X. Penrose is definitely on the right track and it's such a super easy convenient plug & play purchase instead of buying a good pair of wired cans, finding the right DAC, and then a HUB/Splitter, and potentially more cables....Most people with the following set up have cables running every where and it looks like complete crap. But I've found a way to make it look like there's zero Dac, Wires or Hub in sight.

But, i'm still tired of being tethered to the Headphone cable itself, and then having to mess with my DAC's volume dial every time my Soundblasterx G6 turns on since the volume is automatically decreased for some weird reason instead of being maxed or saved to how I had it set prior.

In a similar boat but until someone manages to come up with an open backed (I know this bit is probably a massive challenge!), wireless gaming headset with velour pads, I must resist wasting anymore money buying things only to return/sell them weeks later.

Penrose (with aftermarket pads) is the closest its got to fitting my needs but the comfort and fact I really prefer open backed means they still have missed the mark for me personally.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #6,622 of 7,191
Whelp it finally happened.

Daaaamn. After seeing this post I took a look at mine and noticed some hairline cracks forming in the same spot, both sides. The cups haven’t let go yet but it’s probably only a matter of time.

Mine get a lot of use, but it’s a shame there’s a weak point like that.

@Mad Lust Envy I’m thinking I should maybe raise a ticket about this myself?

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #6,623 of 7,191
Daaaamn. After seeing this post I took a look at mine and noticed some hairline cracks forming in the same spot, both sides. The cups haven’t let go yet but it’s probably only a matter of time.

Mine get a lot of use, but it’s a shame there’s a weak point like that.

@Mad Lust Envy I’m thinking I should maybe raise a ticket about this myself?
Yes. Start a ticket, we'll get you sorted.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #6,624 of 7,191
In a similar boat but until someone manages to come up with an open backed (I know this bit is probably a massive challenge!), wireless gaming headset with velour pads, I must resist wasting anymore money buying things only to return/sell them weeks later.

Penrose (with aftermarket pads) is the closest its got to fitting my needs but the comfort and fact I really prefer open backed means they still have missed the mark for me personally.

This. How is this not even a thing? We don't need any more closed back wireless options. Boring! Give me:

Wireless Open Back, 50mm drivers
Velour pads
Unidirectional noise cancelling, flip to mute mic
At least 12 hour battery @ 75% volume
50+ feet of range (line of sight) and 30ft range out of line of sight
BT app compatibility with EQ and sound profiles which are saved to the headset
Wired capability if wanted
Possibly chatmix support with a chatmix dial (PS5) (yes, I know this requires optical)

Off topic:
I would also like to see companies like Hyper X, Razer, Logitech, and others to STOP labeling their PC headsets as PS4/PS5 compatible. Yes, they work, but 99% of the feature set relies on PC software to get the most from it, and does not save a sound profile to the headset itself.

Jan 27, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #6,626 of 7,191
For one,

Audeze offers planarmagnetic headphones. For open back, this means not having anything inside the cups which can block the huge driver surface area. Wireless headphones require a lot of internal circuitry, which gets crammed inside the earcups. Hence, you can see the issue here. If not, then you have to deal with a solution like Hifiman's wireless Deva, and those don't have all the gaming features necessary in a gaming headset. Then there's the battery location, etc.

There's possibilities, but this means ruining any real form, and just going with pure function. It would not be an elegant solution.

Open back planars and wireless is something not really all too feasible, without severe concessions made to their designs. Or greatly stripping features for the benefit of simple wireless.

Who knows in a far off future, but realistically speaking, right now, they don't really exist for a reason. Too many sacrifices would need to be made, and it'd likely cost way too much for the gaming demographic as a whole.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #6,629 of 7,191
I specifically said 50mm drivers, not large planars. I know this is an Audeze thread but it was meant to be a general statement.

Smaller planars in a larger housing to accommodate battery, receiver, and controls certainly seems like it could be done.

I could do without BT functionality if it meant a more robust wireless product.

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #6,630 of 7,191

I prefer Open back too, but the insane amount of sound leak isn't doable for my current living situation(Cough, Apartment)
I find that the DT770(250ohm) sound almost open back-like and are a lot more natural than the vast majority of closed cans i've experienced.

Hmmm. To Penrose or not to Penrose. :p I don't think they'll be able to outperform the DT700 Pro X with a Soundblasterx G6 DAC, or even match them.
Maybe I'm wrong. I just need to hear them again for myself and do some EQ adjustments this time around. if they can get very close than I'd be ok with that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back