Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #5,732 of 7,191
update after RMA got a new headset and first thing i notice is that now i can go the the bathroom without it disconnecting, thier a wall between my computer desk and my bathroom but is just like 2 meters away side by side, also now i get get outside the door, so it seems the range now is further away , range has improve

but im not sure if its the dongle or headset wifi that was defective in my first penrose thats causing the huge massive disconnects , becuase while it was in RMA i assemble a new pc rig, so might be the usb part of this rig is much better, because as my previous post i suspected thiers a different thing going on why its disconnecting and the pop/crackles

while doing more test now i can replicate the this connecting issue if i set my router's 2.4ghz and set it to band 1 and placing my besside the dongle and doing a speed test, like right beside it, but if i move my phone away just like 5 inches to a foot away it doesnt interfer with the penrose connection

but still i dont have 100% solid conclusion if it was a previous dongle wifi problem maybe batch or something or it it was the new PC usb system that made the difference

my old pc had a z390 intel mobo and my new pc has a x570 amd mobo

but still to early to tell, hope this is it cause i love the sound the penrose makes compared to my other gaming wireless headphones

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #5,733 of 7,191
Sorry for bad English. Many complain about disconnections, clicks. I have it too. But I'm sure it's not just about interference from the router! I have connected my headset to my Xbox. When I write messages to friends, it also gets disconnected and interfered!

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #5,735 of 7,191
New here. I've been looking for a high-quality gaming headset that I could use with my Xbox, Switch, and laptop. Simultaneous bluetooth was a must so I can have game and voice chat at the same time. I got the Penrose X and they seem to have died after two days. I was using them to listen to music while working yesterday, and I after I took my lunch break they wouldn't turn back on. Nothing at all.

I'd only been listening to five hours and didn't get a low battery warning either. I plugged them into my laptop, desktop, and wall outlet and nothing worked. No sign that they were charging either. I'm sending them back today (unless there's some lock feature I triggered that I didn't know about).

I'd been liking them so far, although there was a slight hiss or whooshing sound that was kind of driving me crazy. It got better when I turned off the microphone and sidetone, but it was still frustrating. Have any other Penrose users had this issue?

I also had an issue when using them with my laptop--I kept hearing the voice say "connected" even though they were already connected. I suspect it was because I was in the same room as my Xbox and it was trying to connect there too. That stopped when I unplugged the dongle from the Xbox.

I'm going to get a replacement for the dead pair but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed thus far. If I can't get rid of that hiss, I may not keep the replacement pair either.

New Head-Fier​

my penrose x has a problem very similar to yours, it turned off and never turned on again, the computer recognizes the usb as an audio bootloader. without any blinking or lit LED, completely dead, without working. did you find any solution for your penrose?

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #5,736 of 7,191
My headset just came back from Audeze after the botched beta firmware via android app. It's currently on 0.1.9 and have to say the mic is much improved and I'm no longer using my cheapo 2.99 mic from Amazon. I also realize that now that the mic sounds better I noticed that I've been probably putting the mic too close to my mouth in order to get louder mic monitoring. The closer I move the mic to my mouth the worst my voice sounds over the mic...moving it about an inch to inch and a half away works good quality wise but the mic monitoring is almost non-existent, very low.

I did recently also test the Arctis 7x and the Microsoft wireless Xbox series X headset and the penrose wins hands down on audio quality. The Arctis 7x don't get very loud which appears to be a common issue and most max their EQ settings out to get more volume (sounds bad then to me, returned). The mic monitoring on the Arctis 7x was awesome, but that was about it. The Xbox wireless headset is muffled when the bass hits with other sounds and the mic monitoring is currently broken as of about 20'ish days ago and not fixed as of today.

Audeze appears to have fixed the connection issues on those I've seen get RMA replacements on here. If they can get this next firmware out and think about some higher levels of mic monitoring (white noise will increase) there is really no reason to try anything else.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #5,738 of 7,191
Anyone had a mic fail on them? I was in the middle of a call and the headset popped and disconnected from Blutooth. When I reconnected my mic was dead. I tried restarting the headset with no luck. The only thing I did get was a friend could hear me for a few seconds when I moved the boom of the mic
Once it cut back out I was unable to find a spot where I could be heard again.

Apr 20, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #5,739 of 7,191
update after RMA got a new headset and first thing i notice is that now i can go the the bathroom without it disconnecting, thier a wall between my computer desk and my bathroom but is just like 2 meters away side by side, also now i get get outside the door, so it seems the range now is further away , range has improve

but im not sure if its the dongle or headset wifi that was defective in my first penrose thats causing the huge massive disconnects , becuase while it was in RMA i assemble a new pc rig, so might be the usb part of this rig is much better, because as my previous post i suspected thiers a different thing going on why its disconnecting and the pop/crackles

while doing more test now i can replicate the this connecting issue if i set my router's 2.4ghz and set it to band 1 and placing my besside the dongle and doing a speed test, like right beside it, but if i move my phone away just like 5 inches to a foot away it doesnt interfer with the penrose connection

but still i dont have 100% solid conclusion if it was a previous dongle wifi problem maybe batch or something or it it was the new PC usb system that made the difference

my old pc had a z390 intel mobo and my new pc has a x570 amd mobo

but still to early to tell, hope this is it cause i love the sound the penrose makes compared to my other gaming wireless headphones

Make sure you mute

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #5,741 of 7,191

New Head-Fier​

my penrose x has a problem very similar to yours, it turned off and never turned on again, the computer recognizes the usb as an audio bootloader. without any blinking or lit LED, completely dead, without working. did you find any solution for your penrose?
I tried the hard reset thing that was suggested here and by Audeze support, but it didn't seem to work.

But then, after about a day of being nonresponsive, I had them on my desk and randomly I heard the voice say "bluetooth" at one point. And since then they've been working again. It's very strange. I'm going to keep using them--but keeping an eye on Amazon's 30 days in case I want to return.

I wonder if some of the issue is that I've been pairing them with different things (laptop, Xbox, Switch) and the headphones get overloaded or something.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated that $300 headphones have so many issues. I just want them to work.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #5,743 of 7,191
Also, can anyone who knows more about wireless headsets let me know if I'd heard hiss on other comparable units too? This is my first time with a wireless headset.
Are you talking about the wind whistling in the left ear, or the hiss with sidetone on? Me having to even ask that question to clarify should be enough to say avoid lol. These are the worst I've ever experienced both of those issues in a premium wireless headset. Even my 5 year old Steelseries didn't get those.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5,744 of 7,191
I've heard "hiss" and other white noise on other wireless headsets from various brands also. I think some of it comes from sidetone/mic monitoring and some just due to the amp being built into the headset. Some are less noticable than others but I never notice once any sound is playing. My lucidsound ls35 is very noticable unless I mute mic or kill sidetone...

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #5,745 of 7,191
I tried the hard reset thing that was suggested here and by Audeze support, but it didn't seem to work.

But then, after about a day of being nonresponsive, I had them on my desk and randomly I heard the voice say "bluetooth" at one point. And since then they've been working again. It's very strange. I'm going to keep using them--but keeping an eye on Amazon's 30 days in case I want to return.

I wonder if some of the issue is that I've been pairing them with different things (laptop, Xbox, Switch) and the headphones get overloaded or something.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated that $300 headphones have so many issues. I just want them to work.

why not return and then re-purchase to launder and get a new return window? Provided you mark as "unwanted" Amazon will sell as open box item

Users who are viewing this thread

Back