Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Apr 12, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #5,716 of 7,191
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #5,718 of 7,191
I got headband delivered but while it's okay - it does spread the load a little and I think it is okay if you want that full wrap-around feeling - It does highlight to me that I wasn't really that bothered by the standard fitment.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #5,719 of 7,191
Can someone tell if this means my sidetone is off or on?
Sidetone.png

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #5,725 of 7,191
We finally got round to the Penrose review. An article by @nanotechnos

headphone-audeze-penrose-review-headfonia-12.jpg

https://www.headfonia.com/audeze-penrose-review/
quick bit of feedback....

Overall nice review. Personally I'd start with the sound but that's just my preference on audio equipment

Kind regards

1. During first page I was beginning to wonder if this was a review at all :wink: you might like to say that review is for the Penrose, but first here's some background on the technology...
  2. I am surprised on first few pages you focus on Bluetooth and not Wireless. BT latency is okay but no good for true gaming. Wireless is it's #1 differentiator compared to the Mobius which I otherwise would've got.
  3. I don't think headphone supports aptX
  4. I think you might like to fact-check with Audeze this statement as it could potentially be misleading. Audeze haven't said that they can support iOS at all.
    "....not available on iOS for now,"
  5. This is wrong - there is no direct USB connection for audio like the Mobius, only charging. Audeze haven't indicated if they can enable it.
    "To unlock the full audiophile performances, you’ll have to be in USB mode"
  6. Also this made me smile
    "....my voice came a bit muffed"
  7. I think you have a typo here. I'm not quoting the whole sentence to protect the innocent
    "....software released the Penrose...."

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #5,726 of 7,191
quick bit of feedback....

Overall nice review. Personally I'd start with the sound but that's just my preference on audio equipment

Kind regards

1. During first page I was beginning to wonder if this was a review at all :wink: you might like to say that review is for the Penrose, but first here's some background on the technology...
  2. I am surprised on first few pages you focus on Bluetooth and not Wireless. BT latency is okay but no good for true gaming. Wireless is it's #1 differentiator compared to the Mobius which I otherwise would've got.
  3. I don't think headphone supports aptX
  4. I think you might like to fact-check with Audeze this statement as it could potentially be misleading. Audeze haven't said that they can support iOS at all.
    "....not available on iOS for now,"
  5. This is wrong - there is no direct USB connection for audio like the Mobius, only charging. Audeze haven't indicated if they can enable it.
    "To unlock the full audiophile performances, you’ll have to be in USB mode"
  6. Also this made me smile
    "....my voice came a bit muffed"
  7. I think you have a typo here. I'm not quoting the whole sentence to protect the innocent
    "....software released the Penrose...."
Hey Crypticc, thanks for your complete feedback :wink:

I took some time to double-check and here are my corrections !

- you're right, bluetooth has a lot more delay than wireless (around 240-250ms with my measurements) but, to compare with my Mobius, I mostly used BT instead of Wireless, so they could stand on equal ground.

Obviously, if you want the swiftest gaming experience, the USB dongle is the best solution :)

- indeed, after a fast-check, the chipset "can" be compatible with apt-X but only supports LDAC and AAC for what I see (at least on my DAP at the moment

- again you're right, after a fast-check, I found out that Audeze won't be able to do an iOS app for now, as they can't get the MFI certification for this headset.

- this one gave me a headache, but found out why it works with my computer in USB... or so it seemed.
As soon as I plug the Penrose in USB and turn it on, it automatically pair in Bluetooth, even if the dongle is connected to my PS4... and it didn't occured to me that Mobius in the taskbar would be Bluetooth and not USB (new to Big Sur :D ).

Thanks to that, I also found out that the USB cable provided doesn't support DATA, only Charge (so don't try it with a DAP like I did, computer won't see it)

- muffLed, with a little L like Jay Kay :wink:

I added the corrections to the review and strike-through the wrongs.

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #5,727 of 7,191
New here. I've been looking for a high-quality gaming headset that I could use with my Xbox, Switch, and laptop. Simultaneous bluetooth was a must so I can have game and voice chat at the same time. I got the Penrose X and they seem to have died after two days. I was using them to listen to music while working yesterday, and I after I took my lunch break they wouldn't turn back on. Nothing at all.

I'd only been listening to five hours and didn't get a low battery warning either. I plugged them into my laptop, desktop, and wall outlet and nothing worked. No sign that they were charging either. I'm sending them back today (unless there's some lock feature I triggered that I didn't know about).

I'd been liking them so far, although there was a slight hiss or whooshing sound that was kind of driving me crazy. It got better when I turned off the microphone and sidetone, but it was still frustrating. Have any other Penrose users had this issue?

I also had an issue when using them with my laptop--I kept hearing the voice say "connected" even though they were already connected. I suspect it was because I was in the same room as my Xbox and it was trying to connect there too. That stopped when I unplugged the dongle from the Xbox.

I'm going to get a replacement for the dead pair but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed thus far. If I can't get rid of that hiss, I may not keep the replacement pair either.

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5,730 of 7,191
New here. I've been looking for a high-quality gaming headset that I could use with my Xbox, Switch, and laptop. Simultaneous bluetooth was a must so I can have game and voice chat at the same time. I got the Penrose X and they seem to have died after two days. I was using them to listen to music while working yesterday, and I after I took my lunch break they wouldn't turn back on. Nothing at all.

I'd only been listening to five hours and didn't get a low battery warning either. I plugged them into my laptop, desktop, and wall outlet and nothing worked. No sign that they were charging either. I'm sending them back today (unless there's some lock feature I triggered that I didn't know about).

I'd been liking them so far, although there was a slight hiss or whooshing sound that was kind of driving me crazy. It got better when I turned off the microphone and sidetone, but it was still frustrating. Have any other Penrose users had this issue?

I also had an issue when using them with my laptop--I kept hearing the voice say "connected" even though they were already connected. I suspect it was because I was in the same room as my Xbox and it was trying to connect there too. That stopped when I unplugged the dongle from the Xbox.

I'm going to get a replacement for the dead pair but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed thus far. If I can't get rid of that hiss, I may not keep the replacement pair either.
Hiss is "normal" and probably won't go away.

The looped "connected" means you're our of range of the USB wireless.

I already had the seemingly dead unit, had to hard reset it (press the 2 wheels and multifunction button)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back