Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Apr 6, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #5,702 of 7,191
I decided to publish my patched AudezeHQ.exe files that point to my own server with the latest versions. It should work as fine as with Audeze's server, but I have to warn everyone that everything you do, you do only at your own risk.

What patch does?
Code:
Replaces this:
https://audeze-penrose.s3.amazonaws.com/AudezePenroseFW.xml
... by this:
https://krasovs.ky/./././././././././././././FW_V_0_1_7.xml
... or this:
https://krasovs.ky/./././././././././././././FW_V_0_1_8.xml

/././. is just a filler to has the same string length.
Steps:
  1. Choose version you want to update.
  2. Replace original AudezeHQ.exe (path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Audeze\AudezeHQ) by patched one.
  3. Launch it as usually, go to settings, click "Update firmware".
Code:
AudezeHQ.exe (0.1.7) SHA1 hashsum: f3e4a897d167fe0ae7593c6dbf75157ab26ad11b
AudezeHQ.exe (0.1.8) SHA1 hashsum: 26c76b6636a9013e83e26ef6610e58f731e55e02
Thank you for this, took alittle while but I got it figured out and am on 0.1.8, gonna test it out the next few days

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #5,706 of 7,191
Hi, I just received my Penrose and was surprised to see Windows defaulting to 24bit 48kHz for the headset through the dongle, I thought it only supported up to 16bit 48kHz. Was this added with later firmware, or is the setting wrong and should I change it? I know it doesn't affect the audio, just wanted to make sure.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #5,708 of 7,191
What are your experiences with battery life after a few months of use? I'm feeling like while using the headset on my Windows 10 PC I only get 3 - 4 hours of use before the "LOW BATTERY" message is heard and I'm forced to wear them as a wired headset plugged in to keep them going.

Is it even possible to easily swap the batteries out in the future?

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #5,710 of 7,191
What are your experiences with battery life after a few months of use? I'm feeling like while using the headset on my Windows 10 PC I only get 3 - 4 hours of use before the "LOW BATTERY" message is heard and I'm forced to wear them as a wired headset plugged in to keep them going.

Is it even possible to easily swap the batteries out in the future?
In my case full working day (a lot of music, some evening games, volume 60-70%, 10-12h). In my opinion battery percentage is completely broken, I just leave them at night at charge (at pretty lowpowered PC USB port).

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #5,711 of 7,191
I decided to publish my patched AudezeHQ.exe files that point to my own server with the latest versions. It should work as fine as with Audeze's server, but I have to warn everyone that everything you do, you do only at your own risk.

Hey L11R, while some may appreciate getting ahead of the curve, these updates are still in beta for good reason. We'd appreciate it if you would allow the process to unfold as it should, with public release AFTER beta tests have proven the updates to be safe for consumption.

For everyone else: as L11R stated, installing and using his patch will be 100% at your own risk, and Audeze will offer ZERO support for anyone who bricks their Penrose by using it. There will be no exceptions to this. (Sorry to be harsh, but it's a bit like putting nitrous oxide in your car and then expecting the car manufacturer to replace the car if you blow it up. Seems obvious enough, just want to make that point crystal clear. :wink:

The good news is that HQ and FW updates are in testing now, and once approved they'll be published ASAP. This one has a lot of the main features you've all been asking for, and we're super excited about it! Stay tuned for more...

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #5,712 of 7,191
We'd appreciate it if you would allow the process to unfold as it should, with public release AFTER beta tests have proven the updates to be safe for consumption.
While I am totally agree with you, I have published this while keeping in mind that this is the enthusiast forum. I hope everyone who installed it (there are only few of them according to my logs) are understanding all the risks.

I won't publish newer patched versions, but will continue to at least monitor newer betas, hope it's okay for you.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #5,713 of 7,191
While I am totally agree with you, I have published this while keeping in mind that this is the enthusiast forum. I hope everyone who installed it (there are only few of them according to my logs) are understanding all the risks.

I won't publish newer patched versions, but will continue to at least monitor newer betas, hope it's okay for you.
We love the enthusiasm!

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #5,714 of 7,191
Nobody else has bluetooth issues, with "crackling" noise during phone calls (using a Galaxy S9 running Android 10) ? It's not every time, but when it happens, i have to disable/reenable BT on the phone and the issue "goes away" (but happens quite often). I don't have the issue when listening to music.

I understand the Penrose supports BT 5 with SBC and AAC; looking at Android developer BT settings it seems that 44.1 kHz / SBC is selected by default, and that forcing AAC or samplerate to 48 khz is not taken into account. @Audeze any recommended settings ? Your support said that i should either return the unit for refund or keep applying my workaround, but i actually do like the Penrose...

Latency-wise, rtings reports 252 ms of SBC PC latency (https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/audeze/penrose-wireless#page-test-results) which seems what i feel when e.g. i type on phone keys or hit pause on Spotify, is latency the same when performing phone calls (i.e. what latency does the penrose add to the conversation) ? It does not feel as high as 250 ms but maybe i'm wrong ?

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #5,715 of 7,191
Gotta say, the geekria head band cushion thingy made it look a whole lot better than the dekoni nuggets, goes with the grey cups too. I hope audeze comes out with stickers or something to cover the ugly green logo on the headband sides, that's my only complaint so far lol

Can i ask which geekria headband you got? I recall the original post about them mentioning the size they had requiring more force than they were comfortable with to do it up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back