Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 2, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #4,126 of 7,191
I've spot checked this thread for months but haven't read every post so some of these questions might be a dead horse, but...

1. Are there any frequency response charts for the Penrose from independent parties?
2. Is the "low latency wireless" connection proven to be better than 3.5mm connection for gaming?
3. Are there any mainstream Youtuber reviews in the wild?
4. Can the mic be swapped out? (I.e. Modmic 3.5mm)

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #4,128 of 7,191
Agree. Any difference in the sound timber?

Not noticed any difference yet, will use more later. Brief go though they do feel a bit more comfortable for me, but mo longevity check.

Also on the interference, seems odd one, everyone has phones, tablets and other devices round the house somewhere, always going to have some level of interference. I'm no expert here but surely designed and tested with that in mind?

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #4,130 of 7,191
I have the Penrose and PC38X without G6 and I still find myself grabbing the PC38X more often. Which one do you prefer?

I also prefer the PC38x - but also prefer my Beyer Tygr and Sennheiser 660s. Penrose wins on convenience and still sound good (better than any other wireless gaming headset I’ve tried) but not in the same league for me (but then I prefer open backed anyway).

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,135 of 7,191
Probably a noob question, but testing mic on penrose x with my brother now and he can barely hear me. As he can hear others I assume its from my end. How can I adjust volume from my mic?
Thx!
Turn the mic gain up on the headset. Adjust mic closer to face if needed? Make sure correct side is facing your mouth (round part of mic). If you’re in Xbox party chat or discord on pc, they can also turn your volume up on their end.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #4,137 of 7,191
Thanks I'm on android, but I don't know how to find that

Go into settings, about phone, software information, and tap build number until developer options are enabled. It should now be at the bottom of the settings page and you can disable absolute volume.

I just switched to iPhone, ugh....., so I am stuck without this option which is driving me nuts and basically makes using the wireless and Bluetooth useless IMO.

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #4,138 of 7,191
I have to say, I find the dials on the Penrose X so awkward to adjust the volume and game/chat mixer. I have to keep using the app all the time.

Think improvements can be made there. The whole click in the dial and then scroll to adjust the game/chat mix is horrible to use.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,140 of 7,191
Had around 20hrs use out of my Penrose X's on PC now.

Pros-
=Had multiple compliments on the mic sound and quality, this may be due to me shouting down the mic as these things drown nearly all background noise out.

=Battery life has been great, 12 plus hours out of a charge easily. I have monitored the exact usage but seems better than my TB Stealth 600's. The usage has been wireless only, no BT.

=Build quality seems great, they feel tough and robust.

=Sounds great, but @Audeze please please give smaller increments to volume adjustment on the headset wheel.

Not so good-

=The app needs alot of work. Cant rename presets, no battery level, voice chat/game volume adjusts nothing on PC are just a few problems that im positive will be ironed out shortly.

=The headband. Please bring out a longer headband pad or make it firmer, i have a smallish head, size 56 and it digs in the top of my head quite badly.

=These arent silent, there is a noise like when you have you ear next to sea shell, it doesnt really bother me though, as soon as there is sound it drowns it straight out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back