Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #4,096 of 7,191
I’ve been using the Penrose X for a week now, and I think the sound quality is excellent - much better and clear than A50s gen 3 and Arctis 7s I had previously. Build quality is premium, but also light in weight, which is nice. Comfort is good for me, I have a big ass head, so I don’t have any issues on that end. Ear pads don’t get hot for me, battery lasts for a few days (I play about 2-3 hours a night.) So far, I’m enjoying them, but I have a few annoyances, as I’m sure you guys have seen from a lot of people in this thread:

1. The background “woosh” noise when I’m on the Xbox dashboard. I don’t hear it when I start a game, but when I’m idle on the dashboard, you can definitely hear it.

2Probably my biggest gripe, as with many others, is the mic gain dial. I personally don’t mind the clicking in adjusting the game/audio chat, despite it being clunky, but it’s not working for me as intended. I plugged it into my PC, fired up the Audeze app, and changed my mic level to 100%. My mic gain is also on. When I joined friends for a gaming session, when I tried to lower the chat audio to gain more game audio, the dial turns down BOTH the game and chat audio, despite not touching the volume dial. I went back to the Audeze app on PC, kept mic gain on, and moved the game/chat audio meter to the left, so about 75% game and 25% chat. I went back to my Xbox and tried them after the adjustments, and it’s still doing the same thing. The chat audio seems to be tied to the game audio for me, and the only way to have both is by turning up the mic dial all the way “towards me” without sacrificing game audio. It really sucks, because I was trying to enjoy a story beat and wanted the game audio up and chat audio down, but turning down the chat audio also lowered the game audio. Sorry for sounding so redundant, I’m just trying to hammer my point home.

3. The mic gain also seems to turn itself all the way down when I keep the dial clicked in and turn the chat audio down. That becomes an annoyance as well, because whether you click or don’t click the dial, it still lowers the gain. I’m not sure if this is a faulty unit, or if this is just a bug. I’m thinking about turning off the mic gain in the Audeze app, and seeing if that changes anything.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble. I love this Headset and really want them to be as excellent as I envisioned them. It’s definitely on the way, but these annoyances definitely should be corrected. Cheers, happy new year

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #4,097 of 7,191
Can you elaborate? This does not seem to work on my pair.

Let me be clear that I'm talking about PC; I don't know if this will work on consoles.

1. Power off the headset.
2. Connect the headset to your PC with an AUX cable.
3. Hold down the power button. It will say "Power on. Connected"
4. At this point, you should have two different audio devices for the Penrose in your sound settings. The wireless connection will actually show the name "Penrose" in it. The AUX connection will be named something generic because the PC cannot get the device name over AUX. Set your output device to the wireless connection. Set your input device to the AUX connection.

Note that if you plug in the AUX cable when the headset is already turned on, it may automatically disconnect the wireless connection. If this happens, just power the headset off and on again, and the wireless should reconnect.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #4,098 of 7,191

The guy in this video takes them off around the 2:30 mark

Yes, that's right so it's the plastic ring I would be changing too. Good to know thanks for the help.

That's if you are replacing with Audeze Mobius/Penrose ear pads which come with the coloured plastic bit. If you are using the Dekoni ones, then it is different.

Sorry that's my mistake It was the only video I could find about earpads and penrose. Its the official Gel pads which I have purchased the Carbon ones too.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,100 of 7,191
None first day.

But now I consistently get clicking on Series X.

Works flawlessly on PC.

Have tried an USB extender for Series X. No dice.

Amazing this thing can have such bad connection issues. I'm 5 feet from my console!
Like this? I had no issues in the first week of use and now:

Doesn't matter if I'm on my PC or PS5 or however close I am. I mean, the set is right next to the PS5 and it's going off lol.

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #4,101 of 7,191
Do you know the two presets we load onto the Penrose? is there a way to switch between the two presets on the headset or does it need to be connected by usb cable on my laptop to change between the two presets? I know It needs to be connected through USB cable and not a dongle to update the firmware. How should I connect it when I want to sort out the preset?.

Is there no way of having it so we can switch between the presets through the headset on the fly? I've just read it needs to be connected to the app in my case through Laptop as I have an iPhone.

Also the plug has to be 5v? Is this critical?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #4,102 of 7,191
Do you know the two presets we load onto the Penrose? is there a way to switch between the two presets on the headset or does it need to be connected by usb cable on my laptop to change between the two presets? I know It needs to be connected through USB cable and not a dongle to update the firmware. How should I connect it when I want to sort out the preset?.

Is there no way of having it so we can switch between the presets through the headset on the fly? I've just read it needs to be connected to the app in my case through Laptop as I have an iPhone.

I would love to know this too. I also have an iPhone (and Mac, but have dual-booted my mac so I can boot properly into Windows JUST so that I can manage these headphones). But an option/button to cycle the EQ profiles on the headphones would be amazing.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #4,103 of 7,191
For those in the Greater Toronto Area (Canada), which local dealers are selling the Penrose? Been looking for a way to purchase without having to go through shipping/customs handles. Tried searching for a few in the area but none have the Penrose. Thanks in advance!

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #4,104 of 7,191
For those in the Greater Toronto Area (Canada), which local dealers are selling the Penrose? Been looking for a way to purchase without having to go through shipping/customs handles. Tried searching for a few in the area but none have the Penrose. Thanks in advance!
https://www.audeze.com/pages/dealers-west

Click the canada tab it shows the list of dealers. executive stereo is one in toronto.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #4,106 of 7,191
None first day.

But now I consistently get clicking on Series X.

Works flawlessly on PC.

Have tried an USB extender for Series X. No dice.

Amazing this thing can have such bad connection issues. I'm 5 feet from my console!

I was having horrible connectivity issues initially when I first was using it, popping sounds, “connected” sound playing intermittently, sometimes could be replicated with certain head movements.

I switched to the front port had no issues whatsoever, so I thought I’d try my luck with the upper rear port and that one was fine as well. My connection for some reason was bummed by the bottom port.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #4,107 of 7,191
@Audeze
Several have reported that the background noise is still very present and disturbs at low volume, they have been asked several times if it can be eliminated with an update, but there are no answers. I am waiting in Italy for my Penrose X, and this worries me for the use that I will do ... thanks
P.s. When will they arrive in Italy?
Yep this is pretty annoying, the hissing/wind noise at low levels means it's difficult to listen to things low volume, or even things which don't have constant audio which masks it, if there's a pause you can hear it which is off putting.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #4,108 of 7,191
I have my Penrose for a couple weeks now and had NO issue at all with mine. Had used it for many hours in Wireless and bluetooth mode on different sources and still no issues. Even the connection range on wireless is being quite good.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #4,109 of 7,191
I have the Penrose X coming for use with ps5, switch and pc. Just wondering if I should swap my order to the ps5 Penrose as I don't want to add any more potential issues that have been occurring. Will the X work just the same as the blue set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back