Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v56 and HQ v97)
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #601 of 4,425
If I connect to PS5 via USB like you suggest can I EQ the Maxwell with the app? Is there any limitation on tuning by using cross platform? I own both systems but I use my PS5 a lot more ATM and will definitely use Maxwell on Sony first party titles and MW2 multi. I assume if I tune or use any presets for XsX it will carry over to the PS5. The tune is saved on the headphone and not the USB dongle, correct?
Im not sure the EQ adjustments are saved onboard the headset. Maybe that’s only software that runs on PC/Mac that tunes what is sent to the headphones specifically while using those systems.

But would be happy to be proven wrong. The fact that it says you can save “four audio profiles” would be an odd limitation in software, but i reasonable limitation in hardware. Hmmm.

Anyway, don’t resign to using USB if playstation is your primary, buy the PS version and use 3.5mm on Xbox if you use that less often.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #602 of 4,425
Im not sure the EQ adjustments are saved onboard the headset. Maybe that’s only software that runs on PC/Mac that tunes what is sent to the headphones specifically while using those systems.

But would be happy to be proven wrong. The fact that it says you can save “four audio profiles” would be an odd limitation in software, but i reasonable limitation in hardware. Hmmm.

Anyway, don’t resign to using USB if playstation is your primary, buy the PS version and use 3.5mm on Xbox if you use that less often.
It must save to the headset otherwise how could we program it for console given we have to load eqs in on android or windows.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #604 of 4,425

I would guess it is saved to the headset, which is the reason for the limit of four. I would guess it would be no limit if they were meant to be saved to a PC or MAC.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #605 of 4,425
Hmm, ok, this is good. Is this how it worked with Penrose?
Yes, it is. By using Audeze HQ (software/app), you can save up to 5 EQ presets to Penrose. During your listening sessions, you can switch between programmed presets with specific hardware button on the headset.

F72410C1-D69B-4C00-B819-1E308B2FF47A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #606 of 4,425
Yes, it is. By using Audeze HQ (software/app), you can save up to 5 EQ presets to Penrose. During your listening sessions, you can switch between programmed presets with specific hardware button on the headset.

Nice to have confirmation on this, thank you, didn’t see it anywhere on the Maxwell page.

Now I can have footstep audio tuned sound on my PS5 (and a mic sound tuned to my prefs?)

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #607 of 4,425
We have 6 presets (similar to Mobius presets), as well as 4 open EQ slots (think of Penrose) you can customize for yourself, save, and load to the headset.

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #609 of 4,425
So this time - the Audeze presets don't have to take up the user slots - they are on the headset permanently - is that right? Great if so :)

It seems to me there are 6 pre-defined EQ presets, and 4 programmable ones. 4 of the 6 pre-defined presets seems already being mentioned on Maxwell product page, including Footsteps, Ballistics, Racing and RPGs. These total 10 presets should be able to be switched on-the-fly.

DEC330C5-1FFA-4649-8077-5F3C723905C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #610 of 4,425
The other two are Audeze (takes place of the older 'Default' name ), and 'Alternate', which I think specific audiophiles will be quite happy with.

And yes, those are permanent and not configurable.

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #611 of 4,425
It's cool to ask but I don't believe that company representative could tell you about known flaws if they are any. Not the world we live in. But judging by the hassle with returns, warranty and so on I believe they did what they could to prevent that from happening again. For me, the only concern in durability is that the upper part of the hinge, with a small logo is made out of plastic/composite and not metal even though on pictures it looks the same. I believe that the swivel joint where metal and composite meet will receive the most pressure in this design. I'm not an engineer of course and it's just my personal take on it and the only element that worries me a bit. Good thing is that what Audeze said, it's the same glass fiber-infused composite used as in LCD-2C and not the plastic that Mobius/Penrose used.

And to be clear I still preordered Maxwell because I believe in all the improvements and I loved Mobius sound.
good explanation. i will likely order this week, never had a planar driver before, but from what everyone is saying here its worth the price, ive had a few different headsets for gaming, but was always looking for something that can pull double duty for music, this looks like a winner. i may spring the extra 54 bucks on B and H photo when pre-ordering to get the allstate accidental warranty for 3 years, incase something happens..

is there any software for the iOS users at all?

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #612 of 4,425
Jan 17, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #613 of 4,425
Judging by the awful build quality my Mobius had I am not touching this with a 10ft barge pole.
Detoriating ear cups and headband material due to heat and moisture.
Flaking heat treated sticker finish
Handband clasp and Yokes that crack
Low quality microphone

I understand they are using aluminium yoke and clasps which is great and the microphone has ANC but still feel hard done by the Mobius especially since it cost £300. Hopefully they have warranty that is more than a year now and a EU distribution centre to handle returns and repairs.

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #614 of 4,425
Judging by the awful build quality my Mobius had I am not touching this with a 10ft barge pole.
Detoriating ear cups and headband material due to heat and moisture.
Flaking heat treated sticker finish
Handband clasp and Yokes that crack
Low quality microphone

I understand they are using aluminium yoke and clasps which is great and the microphone has ANC but still feel hard done by the Mobius especially since it cost £300. Hopefully they have warranty that is more than a year now and a EU distribution centre to handle returns and repairs.
I can see why you are angry. I went through three pairs of Mobius. In Audeze defense (I shouldn't, I'm a customer and was burnt as you were) I can imagine they couldn't predict that happening. On one hand build quality of Mobius and Penrose was easily a money-saving measure on the other, they pushed planar drivers to "more affordable" price range. They packed both headsets full of features and some of them almost ground braking like head tracking and to be honest build quality was the only downside for me. And microphone?! It was really good on Mobius, definitely one of the best in headsets.

And the reason of your anger is probably one of the source of Maxwell existence. At least in marketing material, they put heavy emphasis on better build quality. It serves nobody to have faulty products. You bought headphones with a design flaw and lost money as well as Audeze by paying for a replacement and shipping.

I may be naive but I really hope Maxwell is well tested and indeed more robust which would only acompany it's features, and if the sound quality is at least as good as previous ones it will be the best headset out there aside from GX but it's wired. That's why I put my faith into them again and bought it. Their other products were solid from my research, only Mobius and Penrose had problems and the same ones due to poorly selected hinge material.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #615 of 4,425
Probably old news, but I got this from Proshop:

Thanks for contacting us.

We do not have the item in stock at the moment. The delivery time is therefore an estimate. I can see that the item has been delayed. The supplier has made it known that they cannot deliver before the 6th of march. This is still an estimate and may be subject to change.

Have a nice day,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back