Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #587 of 4,459
Got super sick of my “HD560 and Modmic plugged into dualsense” setup last night. The heavy dual cable snagged on something again and disconnects. Now pressing at all on the 3.5mm splitter causes it to disconnect slightly. I swear every 3.5mm splitter you can buy on Amazon is poor quality. I have tried several.

Ordered the PS version of the Audese maxwell in a rage. Going back to wireless. Love the sound on the HD560S, as close to perfect as you can get for gaming, but wired just sucks unless you are tethered on a desk close to a monitor.

Fingers crossed Audeze got the range and mic right this time around.

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #588 of 4,459
My biggest concern is the sidetone. Penrose x on the Xbox the sidetone was poor, my wife constantly telling me to stop shouting! Nova pro wireless the sidetone can be adjusted so it’s loud. Mind you I’m using the same firmware that it came out the box with, heard newer versions killed the sidetone volume.

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #589 of 4,459
Got super sick of my “HD560 and Modmic plugged into dualsense” setup last night. The heavy dual cable snagged on something again and disconnects. Now pressing at all on the 3.5mm splitter causes it to disconnect slightly. I swear every 3.5mm splitter you can buy on Amazon is poor quality. I have tried several.

Ordered the PS version of the Audese maxwell in a rage. Going back to wireless. Love the sound on the HD560S, as close to perfect as you can get for gaming, but wired just sucks unless you are tethered on a desk close to a monitor.

Loved the 560s - just always feel they are wasted on the Dualsense and cabling across the lounge to my Creative G6 just feels a hassle and not very 'next gen' :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #590 of 4,459
My biggest concern is the sidetone. Penrose x on the Xbox the sidetone was poor, my wife constantly telling me to stop shouting! Nova pro wireless the sidetone can be adjusted so it’s loud. Mind you I’m using the same firmware that it came out the box with, heard newer versions killed the sidetone volume.
Turtle beaches ive used in the past have always had good volume sidetone. The arctis 9x was lacking, so hopefully the maxwells will have a good level of sidetone.

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #591 of 4,459
from the CEO's interview hes said the Penrose and Maxwell are completely seperate and diff products. he said they are not alike in any way hardware wise. its a complete rebuild.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #592 of 4,459
Guys, even with all this back and forth about dongle functionality, you guys should understand you ALSO have USB WIRED and Aux connections.

The reason I say get an Xbox version if you have BOTH consoles is because the Xbox version HAS the chip. You can STILL try generic USB audio through the cable for other systems. You can still use AUX connection which is guaranteed to work on everything with a headphone jack.

Though looking back at it, I should say choose the headset of the console you prioritize for the dongle. The other console at the very least will have Aux option (which you can plug into the controllers, or whatever other headphone Mixamp device is connected to those systems).

On a personal note, both the AUX and USB wired connections sound fantastic (IMHO) as second options. Just be wary of not overcharging the headset through the Aux connection with too much power from something like a headphone amplifier.

For instance:

I have a Jotunheim 2 amp. I do test the Maxwell with it. I make sure my Jot 2 is at low gain and VERY little volume (as in say next to 0% minimal volume). Then I raise my Maxwell headset volume to about 90%, and I slowly adjust my Jot 2 volume until I feel the volume is just right. I won't be anywhere near maxing out the Jot volume this way. It's much safer to max out Maxwell volume than maxing out the source volume, unless the source is very low power like a phone headphone jack. Be aware that analog connections may have more hiss/noise at max volume then USB/dongle connections as you're double amplifying all traits of the source for better or worse.

A mistake would be nearly maxing out my Jot 2 volume, and adjusting from the Maxwell. That's a guarantee to blow up Maxwell's circuitry.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #593 of 4,459
Are there different standards between the PS5 and PC for the wireless dongle on Maxwell? I never owned a ps version headset but I'm guessing there is no switch. My point is if Xbox version is officially able to support PC and will have that Xbox/PC toggle, I just don't see a reason for it to not work on PS5.

edit: never mind, I see on the audeze website that the ps dongle has a switch. This changes everything then.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #594 of 4,459

I have the exact same setup and got to that exact point of frustration early last December and ordered the Penrose. Luckily return them in time when I heard of the Maxwell.

I'm pretty excited for the Maxwell also just to use around the house with Bluetooth. I have the Sennheiser momentum 4 and they're great for on the go but I think the Maxwell will sound nicer just at home based upon the Penrose.

Randomly I think the chip that Microsoft requires is a security chip. At least from the brief research I did. It prevents third party hacking of your console say it by hijacking the audeze app

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #595 of 4,459
Guys, even with all this back and forth about dongle functionality, you guys should understand you ALSO have USB WIRED and Aux connections.

The reason I say get an Xbox version if you have BOTH consoles is because the Xbox version HAS the chip. You can STILL try generic USB audio through the cable for other systems. You can still use AUX connection which is guaranteed to work on everything with a headphone jack.

Though looking back at it, I should say choose the headset of the console you prioritize for the dongle. The other console at the very least will have Aux option (which you can plug into the controllers, or whatever other headphone Mixamp device is connected to those systems).

On a personal note, both the AUX and USB wired connections sound fantastic (IMHO) as second options. Just be wary of not overcharging the headset through the Aux connection with too much power from something like a headphone amplifier.

For instance:

I have a Jotunheim 2 amp. I do test the Maxwell with it. I make sure my Jot 2 is at low gain and VERY little volume (as in say next to 0% minimal volume). Then I raise my Maxwell headset volume to about 90%, and I slowly adjust my Jot 2 volume until I feel the volume is just right. I won't be anywhere near maxing out the Jot volume this way. It's much safer to max out Maxwell volume than maxing out the source volume, unless the source is very low power like a phone headphone jack. Be aware that analog connections may have more hiss/noise at max volume then USB/dongle connections as you're double amplifying all traits of the source for better or worse.

A mistake would be nearly maxing out my Jot 2 volume, and adjusting from the Maxwell. That's a guarantee to blow up Maxwell's circuitry.
based on your experience handling the Maxwells so far, do you see any of the issues happening that the penrose had in terms of the breaks in the headphones they were having from alot of users? i know its a complete rebuild, but do you think the new design mitigates the flaws of the penrose? thx

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #596 of 4,459
based on your experience handling the Maxwells so far, do you see any of the issues happening that the penrose had in terms of the breaks in the headphones they were having from alot of users? i know its a complete rebuild, but do you think the new design mitigates the flaws of the penrose? thx
It's cool to ask but I don't believe that company representative could tell you about known flaws if they are any. Not the world we live in. But judging by the hassle with returns, warranty and so on I believe they did what they could to prevent that from happening again. For me, the only concern in durability is that the upper part of the hinge, with a small logo is made out of plastic/composite and not metal even though on pictures it looks the same. I believe that the swivel joint where metal and composite meet will receive the most pressure in this design. I'm not an engineer of course and it's just my personal take on it and the only element that worries me a bit. Good thing is that what Audeze said, it's the same glass fiber-infused composite used as in LCD-2C and not the plastic that Mobius/Penrose used.

And to be clear I still preordered Maxwell because I believe in all the improvements and I loved Mobius sound.

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #597 of 4,459
It's cool to ask but I don't believe that company representative could tell you about known flaws if they are any. Not the world we live in. But judging by the hassle with returns, warranty and so on I believe they did what they could to prevent that from happening again. For me, the only concern in durability is that the upper part of the hinge, with a small logo is made out of plastic/composite and not metal even though on pictures it looks the same. I believe that the swivel joint where metal and composite meet will receive the most pressure in this design. I'm not an engineer of course and it's just my personal take on it and the only element that worries me a bit. Good thing is that what Audeze said, it's the same glass fiber-infused composite used as in LCD-2C and not the plastic that Mobius/Penrose used.

And to be clear I still preordered Maxwell because I believe in all the improvements and I loved Mobius sound.
I got told it was all metal are you sure that part is plastic?

Edit : I was just looking now it does indeed look metal like you say.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #598 of 4,459
I got told it was all metal are you sure that part is plastic?

Edit : I was just looking now it does indeed look metal like you say.
I specifically asked before on this thread. Y shaped part is aluminum, headband is spring steel, strap is leather and small logo part and cups are glass infused composite like lcd2c.

Preliminary FAQ Page: (where the most important questions will go). Before you ASK, please check the FAQ page.

Click Here

To add on build:

The earcups and the parts that have the audeze A logo are both glass infused nylon (this is the same stuff that is used for our LCD-2 Classic rings.). The headband is steel, the yokes are aluminum. The earpads are PU/protein leather.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #599 of 4,459
I hope these can take heavier abuse than penrose, the build seems strong but i wonder how the “thinner than human hair” membrane will cope with my kids throwing these across the room etc, also using on one ear most of the time have there been any advancements in this regard like pressure release holes or something?

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #600 of 4,459

For instance:

If I connect to PS5 via USB like you suggest can I EQ the Maxwell with the app? Is there any limitation on tuning by using cross platform? I own both systems but I use my PS5 a lot more ATM and will definitely use Maxwell on Sony first party titles and MW2 multi. I assume if I tune or use any presets for XsX it will carry over to the PS5. The tune is saved on the headphone and not the USB dongle, correct?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back