• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #4,561 of 7,693
Our intent is that the 3D auto feature will be useful when you are on the move, say on a train or a plane or taking a stroll where you are likely to change direction but maintain it for a while. You are right, without an external reference we cannot say for sure if you just turned the head or if your entire body moved.
I’m confused now about head tracking now that I read this message lol.

I don’t understand the benefit of head tracking on the move?

Honestly this message can be taken rhetoricaly because I don’t even want an explanation ha. I feel like these questions are beating a dead horse and just having the unit in hands will explain it all. (Hopefully)

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4,562 of 7,693
While I haven't tried 3D Auto, I'd have to agree that based on what I know of it (and how Mobius owners are describing it), I'd prefer to be able to turn head tracking off when on the go as opposed to using 3D Auto. From what I'm reading, 3D Auto seems to be flawed, and if that's true, having a delay or drifting in head tracking would drive me absolutely nuts.

I'll reserve my judgement until I get hands on with the Mobius, however.

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #4,563 of 7,693
So after this hardware fix, the unit that I'm getting is essentially a REFURBISHED unit. That's just sad......

So how bad is the hardware fix? Is it severe enough that I will notice my headphone has been molested at the factory??
It's okay, they'll make an exception for you and expedite shipping of your hissy, unmodified headphones. :rolling_eyes:

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #4,564 of 7,693
Just pre-ordered mine. :) Copper. How soon are we til shipping, boys..?

Mainly interested in these for closed, isolated cans, planar, and potential soundstage/imaging.

for closed and isolation you probably want ANC headphones not these... :xf_eek: im a gamer and movie watcher so they are perfect for me

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,565 of 7,693
I've used the 3D Auto a few times just walking around the house and I gotta say... I'm not a fan of it. The delay, the drift, the rubber-bandy nature of it is kinda off-putting and I find myself just shutting 3D off after a while. Which is a shame, because I like the 3D soundstage otherwise. Conceptually, the intent of 3D Auto is interesting, but the execution just doesn't keep up well. It definitely needs tweaked and there have been some good ideas proposed, either via a tweak to the functionality or some user-controllable adjustments. But alongside that, count me in as interested in having a 4th option added: 3D w/o Head Tracking.

Also, I have another question back on the topic of VSS and consoles. If we intend to use the Mobius in 2 Ch / 3D Off mode with an external VSS device (Mixamp, X7, GSX 1000, AVR w/ DH processing on the headphone jack), according to this Mobius support article, we need to be sure to "not exceed standard line level voltage to minimize the risk of damage." How exactly do you figure out what volume level on your device is the equivalent of line level output?

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #4,566 of 7,693

When we say on the move, we are hoping you are not a race car driver or skiing on the slopes of St. Moritz.

Instead of looking at it as head tracking look at it as something that will transform Mobius into a pair or surround speakers that you are able to carry with you.

I agree there may be situations where you don't want head-tracking and it is ok for the sound field to move with you (like when you are listening to music and try ing to take your 100lb dog for a walk), but right now there is no way to turn off head-tracking without turning off spatialization as both are integral part of NX. We will see if we can provide an option to enable and disable head tracking through the app if we see enough demand for the feature.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #4,567 of 7,693
When we say on the move, we are hoping you are not a race car driver or skiing on the slopes of St. Moritz.

Instead of looking at it as head tracking look at it as something that will transform Mobius into a pair or surround speakers that you are able to carry with you.

I agree there may be situations where you don't want head-tracking and it is ok for the sound field to move with you (like when you are listening to music and try ing to take your 100lb dog for a walk), but right now there is no way to turn off head-tracking without turning off spatialization as both are integral part of NX. We will see if we can provide an option to enable and disable head tracking through he app if we see enough demand for the feature.
Ok I think I understand now. So since the head tracking is fixed (as in you can’t enable or disable it now), at least it is automatic, that way in the moments you described it is better then if it were Manual.

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #4,568 of 7,693
There are no simulated rear channels in 2.0 mode with 3D on, but the drivers image accurately enough that you will be able to clearly hear sounds behind you especially when gaming just like audiophiles have for the past decade with headphones like the ATH-AD700.

For a test of what is possible in 2.0 with 3D enabled, see the example video I posted.

I 100% agree. I fully understand that 2.0/2.1 does not simulate rear channels. But, I was hopeful from your statement that while 2.0/2.1 signal with 3D room-emulation turned on, that it would give you some better convincing sounds from behind. Similar to how a soundbar works to throw sound around the room to give a surround feeling.

In fact I think that is a good example. A "Surround Sound" sound bar. It relies on bouncing sound off a symmetrical room to give you a different direction of sound even though all sound is coming from below your TV. This is what I was hopeful of from the Room emulation even with a 2.0/2.1 signal.

I was trying to explain it in a simple way to HirschiAUT since the more technical terms where being used and he was not understanding it. I feel confident that I understand how the mobius works... I just don't know how it sounds (yet!). So I was quoting you trying to explain that 2.0/2.1 with 3D on was not all that bad of a mode since many are upset and confused of the "Surround Sound" capabilities of the Mobius. It can be difficult to quickly type up something and explain a complex thing to people that do not really understand the mobius. I am sorry if I created more confusion in attempt to explain things. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4,569 of 7,693
New??? Not anymore buddy. From what I have gathered, is that all the headphones were already been assembled at some point. Now they are all taken apart for a HARDWARE fix. Doesn't matter how small the fix is, the unit has to be opened up. Clips might be get broken. Pads might not even been put in correctly, etc. If it was just a firmware update, I would've been fine with it. But a physical rework after assembly, is something else.

The other question would be, how much has Audeze lost with this delay.

Lol! Instead of grateful, you're upset? Audeze is doing it. It's under warranty for a year as well. I can't believe it..... They're losing a lot of money doing this for us. It's one component they said. And if you were in on the campaign or even the pre-order even, you've got to start apologizing for being an A-hole right now. Absolutely self involved, pure digesting rudeness.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #4,572 of 7,693
In all fairness there is a risk of scratches or blemishes as a result of the tools used to open the headphones etc. This is done by humans after all, not machines. While I wouldn’t call it refurbished there are people who expect a flawless product including flawless aesthetically.
They're already doing quite a bit by hand on these. These are people that normally hand make their headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #4,573 of 7,693
Lol! Instead of grateful, you're upset? Audeze is doing it. It's under warranty for a year as well. I can't believe it..... They're losing a lot of money doing this for us. It's one component they said. And if you were in on the campaign or even the pre-order even, you've got to start apologizing for being an A-hole right now. Absolutely self involved, pure digesting rudeness.

There’s a complainer in every bunch. The same people saying they would take Mobius now without the fix for the hiss are the same people who would complain about it the second they get their unit.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #4,574 of 7,693
I’m confused now about head tracking now that I read this message lol.

Honestly this message can be taken rhetoricaly because I don’t even want an explanation ha. I feel like these questions are beating a dead horse and just having the unit in hands will explain it all. (Hopefully)
I have it on hand and I still don't understand the reason. I understand we're on the move, and trains, planes, buses, turn, but essentially, the central image ends up right back in front of you. This is why I wonder why they didn't just have an option to have the surround without the headtracking, which keeps the image in front of you 100% of the time. I'm sure they have a reason, I just don't get it.

I think at the very least, if it's impossible to turn tracking off, have it be super aggressive in re-centering as an option, where it re-centers immediately, so the image is always in front of you.

Again, I don't know the computations or code for that, but I assume that much is feasible. Right now, 3D Auto even when I'm walking around on patrols at work in a building at night, is too slow to re-center. So in my case, I MUST turn 3D off. A shame because I like the effect at times, but just wanna always have the image always centered.

Count me as one that wants that. I know I'm not alone. As an example, I have long corridors at work and I go to 20 floors just to lock doors. So many times, I'm usually just walking around while watching something on my phone, or listening to videos, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #4,575 of 7,693
I have it on hand and I still don't understand the reason. I understand we're on the move, and trains, planes, buses, turn, but essentially, the central image ends up right back in front of you. This is why I wonder why they didn't just have an option to have the surround without the headtracking, which keeps the image in front of you 100% of the time. I'm sure they have a reason, I just don't get it.

I think at the very least, if it's impossible to turn tracking off, have it be super aggressive in re-centering as an option, where it re-centers immediately, so the image is always in front of you.

Again, I don't know the computations or code for that, but I assume that much is feasible. Right now, 3D Auto even when I'm walking around on patrols at work in a building at night, is too slow to re-center. So in my case, I MUST turn 3D off. A shame because I like the effect at times, but just wanna always have the image always centered.

Count me as one that wants that. I know I'm not alone. As an example, I have long corridors at work and I go to 20 floors just to lock doors. So many times, I'm usually just walking around while watching something on my phone, or listening to videos, etc.
I don't have my Mobius yet, but from their early pre-production description, I'm guessing they were trying develop an intelligent algorithm that would be able to discern minor movements and abrupt head movement changes from overall moving vehicle changes of direction. Maybe it wasn't so easy to pull off. If that's the case, I can see how the option just to turn off head tracking might be a decent compromise for use during transportation. Maybe they can fine tune intelligent head tracking also, in a future update.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back