• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 10, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #4,591 of 7,693
I unfortunately have to disagree with this, while I expect delays of 1-3 weeks to be normal with any Kickstarter or Indiegogo purchase, I did not expect a 2 month one when I originally purchased. I am moving to Ireland for 1-3 years September 1st, Audeze offered to change shipping from USA to Ireland, but I would still have to cover import taxes on a $250 (while still a great price, I am not easily impressed by headphones and didn't want pay a penny more than that) item... that was not ever in the plans for me. I am guessing an extra $30 after Euro conversion from USD for that, but I am not sure how import taxes work in Ireland. So now I just have to hope they arrive to my doorstep by September 1st, and if not, just have my parents ship them and pay for duties as my Christmas gift this year. Very annoying, but Audeze is still better than 90% of companies out there for what they are willing to do to ensure a quality product, I still fail to see how a hissing issue could pass quality control if it really is as some people here say, in that, it can be heard while movies are playing back... that is unacceptable, whoever was in charge of quality control at the China factory is getting paid way too much money, because they have no idea what that job description means. This is why I own a One Plus 6 smartphone, they have the best quality control of 99% of the phone companies. If you are interested in how a proper company does quality control:

Quality control also depends on what requirements and tolerances were given by engineering to quality to write their quality assurance methods and inspections to...

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #4,592 of 7,693
While I haven't tried 3D Auto, I'd have to agree that based on what I know of it (and how Mobius owners are describing it), I'd prefer to be able to turn head tracking off when on the go as opposed to using 3D Auto. From what I'm reading, 3D Auto seems to be flawed, and if that's true, having a delay or drifting in head tracking would drive me absolutely nuts.

I'll reserve my judgement until I get hands on with the Mobius, however.
How do they compare to the AD700, for 3D pinpointing and overall SQ?? Can you remove the battery when using the cable, to reduce weight?

Batteries are not removable/replaceable by the consumer.

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #4,593 of 7,693
Quality control also depends on what requirements and tolerances were given by engineering to quality to write their quality assurance methods and inspections to...

That doesn't change my point at all... the entire process should have been overseen by Audeze, you don't just tell some company in China, hey make this product for me... you have oversight at all levels. :/

If you are trying to tell me that hiss playing during a movie playback was not part of a test at the end of quality control.... :/ this is headphone manufacturing, if nothing else, the only thing quality control should have done is listen to the sound lol

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #4,594 of 7,693
When we say on the move, we are hoping you are not a race car driver or skiing on the slopes of St. Moritz.

Instead of looking at it as head tracking look at it as something that will transform Mobius into a pair or surround speakers that you are able to carry with you.

I agree there may be situations where you don't want head-tracking and it is ok for the sound field to move with you (like when you are listening to music and try ing to take your 100lb dog for a walk), but right now there is no way to turn off head-tracking without turning off spatialization as both are integral part of NX. We will see if we can provide an option to enable and disable head tracking through the app if we see enough demand for the feature.

The option already exist for the software Waves Nx App (Camera button at top), so shouldn't be too hard to add (better had been to keep the option there also in the Audeze app from start). It would probably be a great option to have. Probably more difficult to add as a firmware update to Mobius itself as the headphone is already pretty feature stacked as it is but then again it's a feature you'd more likely wanna turn on/off on the go too...

If current Mobius users or other people wants to see if it would be useful to have the surround without headtracking enabled then just give the 30 day free trial for Nx app a go (just remember don't expect quite the same sound quality from the app as the DSP processing done on Mobius itself with its optimized EQ presets):

Win/Mac: https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app
Mobile: https://www.waves.com/nx/mobile-app

mac.png

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #4,595 of 7,693
That doesn't change my point at all... the entire process should have been overseen by Audeze, you don't just tell some company in China, hey make this product for me... you have oversight at all levels. :/

If you are trying to tell me that hiss playing during a movie playback was not part of a test at the end of quality control.... :/ this is headphone manufacturing, if nothing else, the only thing quality control should have done is listen to the sound lol

QCs job in any manufacturing operation is to determine whether or not the end product meets spec. It has no responsibility to determine whether or not the spec is valid. That's engineering's job....

Let's manufacture some more incorrect assumptions to be upset about!

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #4,596 of 7,693
I am in healthcare devices business. We always test a bunch of the first production run ourselves, we would not be allowed to have the end user find out a product failure. But that is a different level of risk.

Aug 10, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4,597 of 7,693
I am in healthcare devices business. We always test a bunch of the first production run ourselves, we would not be allowed to have the end user find out a product failure. But that is a different level of risk.
To be fair, those are very different situations. Very different levels of risk, and VERY different levels of cost.

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #4,598 of 7,693
Mistakes happen. At least Audeze is making corrections. Though it does take something away from getting these at an early-bird discount compared to those who pay full retail. In the end though, I'm sure I'll love the bejeezus out of these when they arrive.

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #4,600 of 7,693
This is why I own a One Plus 6 smartphone, they have the best quality control of 99% of the phone companies
There are 100+ smartphone companies..?

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #4,601 of 7,693
To be fair, those are very different situations. Very different levels of risk, and VERY different levels of cost.
And in case of Audeze the FDA is not involved......

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #4,603 of 7,693
And no one dies if QC/test subjects get a strike
I think Audeze does a very good job on this issue so far. Sadly they are gonna loose a lot of money due to the rework.

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #4,604 of 7,693
I've used the 3D Auto a few times just walking around the house and I gotta say... I'm not a fan of it. The delay, the drift, the rubber-bandy nature of it is kinda off-putting and I find myself just shutting 3D off after a while. Which is a shame, because I like the 3D soundstage otherwise. Conceptually, the intent of 3D Auto is interesting, but the execution just doesn't keep up well. It definitely needs tweaked and there have been some good ideas proposed, either via a tweak to the functionality or some user-controllable adjustments. But alongside that, count me in as interested in having a 4th option added: 3D w/o Head Tracking.

Also, I have another question back on the topic of VSS and consoles. If we intend to use the Mobius in 2 Ch / 3D Off mode with an external VSS device (Mixamp, X7, GSX 1000, AVR w/ DH processing on the headphone jack), according to this Mobius support article, we need to be sure to "not exceed standard line level voltage to minimize the risk of damage." How exactly do you figure out what volume level on your device is the equivalent of line level output?

I’m curious about this too since I will be connecting my Mobius via AUX to my Astro Mixamp Pro TR for the PS4.

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #4,605 of 7,693
I think Audeze does a very good job on this issue so far. Sadly they are gonna loose a lot of money due to the rework.

Good thing they're a big player in high end audio. The margins are... well they're a lot better than most other consumer products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back